Best taste/quality buds...which bottled nutrients?

Dondell

I was using flora nova for years...but felt it got sludgy towards the end of the bottle. Switched to dyna grow. Plants look great, but the buds are bland and tasteless. I think I will switch back to flora nova....but I am open to suggestions....Any help is appreciated. I use canna coco with a little perlite.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If you are looking for change and flavor is the goal, have you ever thought about ditching the bottles? I switched to completely organic, no calmag, no pH pen, no EC/PPM, and a worm bin for kitchen scraps... and have had over a year now with no deficiencies to speak of, and healthy plants at harvest that have a lot more expressions that I wasn't getting in a bottle.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I have gotten the same thing from Dyna Grow, everything looks good but it lacks the flavors and smell that I am looking for. I used Fox Farm in the past and seemed to get more flavors, It was too costly and too many things to keep up with. Once I switched to living soil I see a big increase in smell and flavor. It is a bit of a chore mixing up the soil the first time, but thats the end of the daily chore of mixing nutes and ph ing the feed every other day. Just water every couple days, top dress every couple weeks. Once the soil is in the pots it can be reused for many grows. The only draw back is having to use bigger containers wich means less plants. I recently purchaned a 2x 4 raised bed for my tent to go no til. I would still use Dyna grow if I am hunting through seeds but if I have something I am wanting to grow out for smoke I dont think Organics can be beat for quality.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
If you are looking for change and flavor is the goal, have you ever thought about ditching the bottles? I switched to completely organic, no calmag, no pH pen, no EC/PPM, and a worm bin for kitchen scraps... and have had over a year now with no deficiencies to speak of, and healthy plants at harvest that have a lot more expressions that I wasn't getting in a bottle.
Same here. It makes me wonder why anyone who doesn't grow hydroponically would use them.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The only draw back is having to use bigger containers wich means less plants.
I beg to differ. I looked at that as the man telling me what I can and can't do ;) :ROFLMAO:
IMG_1959.JPG IMG_1965.JPG IMG_1966.JPG
I even have veggies going in a few. bok choy, mini carrots, lettuces, etc. No clue if I'll get any but it's a potential edible cover crop. Anything miniature that is a one-and-done harvest at about the 60 day window.

I use 5g pots and grow my plants the same as I used to (veg for a month then flip) and I go from solo cups to 1g to 5g all with worms in the pots and cover crops.

The disclaimer is that I have more soil than I need. About 1/3 is resting now in a 65g pot after being re-ammended. I don't do anything major except keep the worms happily moist until I need that soil.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I beg to differ. I looked at that as the man telling me what I can and can't do ;) :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 119155 View attachment 119156 View attachment 119157
I even have veggies going in a few. bok choy, mini carrots, lettuces, etc. No clue if I'll get any but it's a potential edible cover crop. Anything miniature that is a one-and-done harvest at about the 60 day window.

I use 5g pots and grow my plants the same as I used to (veg for a month then flip) and I go from solo cups to 1g to 5g all with worms in the pots and cover crops.

The disclaimer is that I have more soil than I need. About 1/3 is resting now in a 65g pot after being re-ammended. I don't do anything major except keep the worms happily moist until I need that soil.
You are correct. The man trying to pimp out raised beds.:unsure: Bigger containers = more soil/ammendment sales. My disclaimer is I am new to Organics and still learning. My 1st two grows with organics were in 3 gallon and they finished just fine. Stll watering at least every other day. With Dynagrow I have been using some smaller than 1 gallon, cramming 12 plants in a 28x28 tent watering somtimes twice a day. I dont think that would work well with organics. I did however finish two plants in some leftover living soil in 1 gallons, so it can be done. I think of the bigger container just as insurance. I have only had to water my ten gallon once a week, It almost feels like cheating. So the raised bed should be even less. I will still stuff a few randoms (clones /solo cups) here and there on top of the bed in smaller containers just for fun. That way I could move them around if needed. They will still get the Brawndo.;)

Dondell

I am reluctant to go organic, as the grow is in my bedroom...couple of feet from my bed. I am concerned with attracting pests. Also, I dont wanna use any poop in my bedroom. I grow in a small, highly productive...perpetual sea of green in 3 gallon containers. I put two in every week, and harvest two a week. Do you guys think I could pull off a soil grow in 3 gallon containers, or do I need bigger pots? In my system, plants finish up at around 3-4 feet. everything I read about living soil, says minimum 15 gallon pots...I dont have the space for that.

wierdly

Fungas Gnat
I used three gallons three grows in a row only topdressing and water. Easiest three grows ever. I recently dumped three of the 3 gallons in the ten gallon I was mixing the soil in after seeing other members pull over a half pound off of 4 plants when I am getting 1/4 lb off of 8 in the smaller pots. It might just be the palnts, could be me. I have three three gallons in Living soil going right beside it. Also three GMO clones getting nothing but Dynagro, I think the GMO should push out some flavor no matter what.
I will have to see what happens.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I am reluctant to go organic, as the grow is in my bedroom...couple of feet from my bed. I am concerned with attracting pests. Also, I dont wanna use any poop in my bedroom. I grow in a small, highly productive...perpetual sea of green in 3 gallon containers. I put two in every week, and harvest two a week. Do you guys think I could pull off a soil grow in 3 gallon containers, or do I need bigger pots? In my system, plants finish up at around 3-4 feet. everything I read about living soil, says minimum 15 gallon pots...I dont have the space for that.
The “minimum 15 gallon pots” is really meant for no till grows. If you do a short veg then 5 gallons should be fine and the have the same footprint as 3 gallons (they are just deeper). I started organic in 5 gallons but now use 7 and 10 gallon pots depending on how long I plan on keeping them in veg. I’ve been growing organically in the room right next to my bedroom for years and have had zero pests…and I have two 40 gallon tubs full of cooking soil in that room, too. It doesn’t smell like poo at all.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I used three gallons three grows in a row only topdressing and water. Easiest three grows ever. I recently dumped three of the 3 gallons in the ten gallon I was mixing the soil in after seeing other members pull over a half pound off of 4 plants when I am getting 1/4 lb off of 8 in the smaller pots. It might just be the palnts, could be me. I have three three gallons in Living soil going right beside it. Also three GMO clones getting nothing but Dynagro, I think the GMO should push out some flavor no matter what.
I will have to see what happens.
A lot of the weight depends on veg time. I veg my plants for 6-8 weeks and I usually pull anywhere from 4-8 ounces off of each plant.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
A lot of the weight depends on veg time. I veg my plants for 6-8 weeks and I usually pull anywhere from 4-8 ounces off of each plant.
And vegging only a month with no drastic training I get anywhere from 1.5-3 zips, usually just over 2 in 5g.

@Dondell the main goal of a lot of living soil and no-til guys is a no-touch, minimal to no input grow. Personally that's boring. The main thing with smaller pots is that there isn't enough in the pot for the plant to live on with just water for the life of the plant.

The general pot-to-grow ratio is factoring in not getting rootbound before the end. That recommends about a quart of soil per week, or a gallon per month of the grow. A 3-gal should get you a month of veg and two of flower then you need to think bigger pot. People seeing harsh plants at the end and thinking deficiency could likely just be rootbound.

For organic them needing more food than the pot can provide just means top dressing more, making a tea of some sort, or adding worm castings. If you are mixing water recipes from bottles regularly this ain't nuthin'. And I started organic using Fox Farms happy frog line of top-dressing, but still using calmag and such, no worms in the pots. A combo of the two would also work because their top-dressings are chelated and bio-available to the plants with adding water, no woms needed to break it down.