Back to the future-- 80's to now

bobross

Well, I'm back to weed after over 30 years of abstinence. I quit weed to finish college (while working full time), develop a career and to take a high paying job that does NOT allow weed useage at all. Anyway, for years I've dreamed of growing my own weed, but doing it outdoors is tricky. So here I am growing one plant at a time and supplying myself with more weed than I can smoke. Todays technology is making my dream come true! (SF-1000 w Dimmer $120.) Wow! and only uses 97 watts, less than a lightbulb.

Many cant understand us smaller growers, and I get comments all the time about how I could fit more plants in my cabinet. I think many just cant understand that some of us dont need that much weed. One plant (done well) gives me PLENTY of herbs that lasts for months. All of my buds are cured to perfection over the course of many months, I'm never in a rush. I manifold because I like my plant symmetrical and I toss all the lower buds in the garbage. I am quite aware that I could have bigger harvests, but I dont need it. I like to smoke the tops of the tops if that makes any sense. The rest gets trashed (lollipopping all the lower garbage)

Anyway, its great to be back. I'm all about the old classics because I remember them and they still seem to be kicking around today. You wont see me growing any Pina Colada-Strawberry Cheese Cake waffle strains. Just good solid weed like Northern Lights, Durban Poison, Acupulco Gold, Panama Red, Afghani Etc...I'm old and these classics are bringing me back. The weed today is crazy good !

Good to be here all, I've said a lot of really stupid things and everyone seems to be really helpful and nice without bashing me. I've been on other forums and people are really negative and toxic--I just dont get it, weed people shooudl be laid back, but many arent. ! Thanks for having me all, this forum is the best I've been to yet and I'm looking forward to learning and helping others as I can.

Pic below a few weeks before harvest. I'm a little anal (retentive--not the other kind) and like my tops equal and even. Here is a circle of 8 Northern Lights tops, around 1.5 ounces at harvest. Smells delicous !

Bob Ross.

1.5 x 1.5 x 4 grow space

Week 12.JPG
_DSC5044.JPG

week 9 F 4.JPG

The tops from the first pic being smoked. (sorry, I use this too often, I like the pic)
_DSC4268.JPG

Last edited:

bobross

Bob my background is similar to yours and trying to bridge the gap to a bygone era has been interesting ride.
Niels story should strike a chord for you

Great video, thanks for this ! I have a lot in common with this guy I also grew a landrace (Durban Poison?) and an Indica with the idea of mixing the buds instead of mixing genetics. Pretty cool to hear him say this. When I want a slightly more "up" high (daytime for example) I smoke Durban Alone. When I smoke late at night Indica, and when I want the best of both worlds I grind them up 50/50---- (or 70/30 30/70 etc..) Seems to me its better to mix them up in the grinder then to mix up the genetics. (if you want a more pure version that is--I have nothing against hybrids)

He also shows himself growing in metal cabinets, nice ! Here's mine below. Also good to see how lightly he smokes and seems slightly afraid of the "creeper" sneaking up on him. It must be an old guy thing, but we are definately on the same page. This guys has been smoking for 50 years too... He must be doing something right.

Last thing --- He has some weed cured for over 3 years? Lol, wow. I'm also not in any rush with my cures, some going well over a year. They do get very smooth, but I do notice that the potency starts to drop a bit, losing a little zip compared to my buds cured for less than 6 months. Good stuff man, thanks.

_DSC5069.JPG

_DSC4129_001.jpg

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'm the same but opposite. That 25yr career that had the piss tests set me up for growing my own and them paying me to stay home and do it now - and I have always been an overachiever LOL

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
But for me it's about having variety and finding then best meds for me. I have already found a few strains I could mono-crop over and over for my 'needs' but in the process of growing the meds, the growing became part of the meds. I no longer spend money on the alcohol and cigarette vices I was allowed to have and remain employed. You would be surprised how much money that frees up for better uses.

I grow the small plants but just because I want to grow more of them in the same size space. I prune as the plants dictate so there's no larf, and usually get anywhere from 1-3 zips per plant. Each harvest I look at what's still in the jars and 'cull' the ones I haven't been digging into. They can be edibles, dry sift, get pressed for rosin or whetever.

back to the '80s theme, my school days were about weed and the girls that came with it. If I kept doing what I was doing I would have eventually been a resident at a state or federal facility. I was smart enough to see that and took the detour. But now I am back and I feel like Scarlett O'Hara at the end of Gone with the Wind. "As God is my witness, I'll never go (weed) hungry again!" :cool:

bobross

But for me it's about having variety and finding then best meds for me. I have already found a few strains I could mono-crop over and over for my 'needs' but in the process of growing the meds, the growing became part of the meds. I no longer spend money on the alcohol and cigarette vices I was allowed to have and remain employed. You would be surprised how much money that frees up for better uses.

I grow the small plants but just because I want to grow more of them in the same size space. I prune as the plants dictate so there's no larf, and usually get anywhere from 1-3 zips per plant. Each harvest I look at what's still in the jars and 'cull' the ones I haven't been digging into. They can be edibles, dry sift, get pressed for rosin or whetever.

back to the '80s theme, my school days were about weed and the girls that came with it. If I kept doing what I was doing I would have eventually been a resident at a state or federal facility. I was smart enough to see that and took the detour. But now I am back and I feel like Scarlett O'Hara at the end of Gone with the Wind. "As God is my witness, I'll never go (weed) hungry again!" :cool:
It sounds like weed has done good things for both of us later in life. Not a bad time to enjoy some herbs, I feel like I've earned it. I liked your comment about the "detour" as most of my 80's friends wound up in jail and never amounted to much. Good stuff man, thanks for sharing.