Advice on germination and strains

Rooted

Plant whisperer
They are supposed to be fems. It let me select what type i wanted and i went with feminised. The more I'm reading though i probably should have went with autos. Thanks for the advice. I'll start with the WW. Have you ever used the rooters?
nope you did good. Fem photos for solid output. No risking lost space to males Or weak automatics.
Autos have come a long way but i still go photo. Every mistake on auto cost you in the end. They are not set and forget as ads make them seem. And i personally never seen one put out fire. Cant clone autos either. You csn pop those 2 seeds keep cuts. Once you harvest youll know whats the better cut. Toss the other fill box with the better cut. Save your seeds. Theres possibility first 2seeds dont put out what you want. In thst case start 2 new ones. But photoperiod ,clone everthing. Also can use your cuts timed right to limit your height. Flopping can be done too.

Rooted

Plant whisperer
nope you did good. Fem photos for solid output. No risking lost space to males Or weak automatics.
Autos have come a long way but i still go photo. Every mistake on auto cost you in the end. They are not set and forget as ads make them seem. And i personally never seen one put out fire. Cant clone autos either. You csn pop those 2 seeds keep cuts. Once you harvest youll know whats the better cut. Toss the other fill box with the better cut. Save your seeds. Theres possibility first 2seeds dont put out what you want. In thst case start 2 new ones. But photoperiod ,clone everthing. Also can use your cuts timed right to limit your height. Flopping can be done too.
I use roit riots for cuts. But normally any rooter i soak in phed water. Popping Seeds i personally would use paper towel for best germ rates. I use rooters for clones. Soaking rooters in mychorazzie (or however its spelled) helps but not neccessary. Heat mat makes things move quicker. Seed stall is lost energy. Ffof soil can be a bit hot on babies. Sometimes. No peat or anything to cut it with?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I agree. I'd go with 12/12 from seed.
I have only tried this once, with 3 different strains - 2 did OK with it, 1 shows a definite lack of calyx production.

They also took about 40 days to show pistils naturally. This was no different than vegging for a month then flipping. Same 40-ish day window for flowers to start.

None of the three show the bulk that the ones that vegged a month did. I have other plants going that all showed pistils at about the same time. All are far outproducing the 12/12 from seed plants.

I have been looking for a good median between that and 30 days at 18/6. The next run I am waiting for a few nodes to pop before flipping - maybe 2 weeks after they break soil.

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
I use roit riots for cuts. But normally any rooter i soak in phed water. Popping Seeds i personally would use paper towel for best germ rates. I use rooters for clones. Soaking rooters in mychorazzie (or however its spelled) helps but not neccessary. Heat mat makes things move quicker. Seed stall is lost energy. Ffof soil can be a bit hot on babies. Sometimes. No peat or anything to cut it with?
No, not at the moment. I normally take advantage of my boss's prime account but she is out for the week. And my garden centers are all centered around christmas stuff right now. Only thing i have is a bit of nature magic potting soil (which is a peat moss mix) and some gypsum soil conditioner that isn't suitable.

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
I have heard that about autos. If you make a mistake you have no time to fix it. I guessed that it wouldn't be stable enough to take clones from either as it would stress the plant too much. What is flopping? I've topped and heard of FIMing.

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
And I agree to run the "freebies" first (you are paying for all the seeds... 🤪 ) but it's a mental thing if they don't do as well LOL
I honestly cannot disagree with that logic. I'm already taking my bagseed to heart. Lmao. I feel that after this first run I may swap to regular seeds as I agree with the idea that less genetic testing would result in better production. Nature is a beast on her own.

Rooted

Plant whisperer
I have heard that about autos. If you make a mistake you have no time to fix it. I guessed that it wouldn't be stable enough to take clones from either as it would stress the plant too much. What is flopping? I've topped and heard of FIMing.
Ok flopping is carefully taking anything too tall and folding it to be horizontal. Bend stalk til you feel it give
actually bending about 90 degrees. They stay laying sideways n knuckle the fold spot. All will lift n aim for the light still but lower n wider.

Rooted

Plant whisperer
Ok flopping is carefully taking anything too tall and folding it to be horizontal. Bend stalk til you feel it give
actually bending about 90 degrees. They stay laying sideways n knuckle the fold spot. All will lift n aim for the light still but lower n wider.
Ppl prob say im crazy but cant knock it if aint tried it.
My point of clones is to keep the exact good producers going after a chop w/o reveg. Revegs are around a month. Could just use new seeds but Each seed may vary unless its a worked line been stabilized for limited phenos. Some weak some strong some flavorful some bland.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Could just use new seeds but Each seed may vary unless its a worked line been stabilized for limited phenos. Some weak some strong some flavorful some bland.
For my purposes, I want the variety. You won't see much variance between store-bought fems as far as pheno's go. I think that just for smoke, lots of different seeds is better than pounds of clone-bud - for the same amount of space.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Sorry but this info on H2O2 is simply untrue. I know old growers that germinate all seeds in soak of 50/50 mix of warm water and diluted H2O2. Remember that H2O2 is unstable when it is exposed to light. It liberates O2 and H2O as byproducts of its breakdown.

HOWEVER, it is just fine to use a 5%-10% bleach solution as a rinse. Shake seeds in bleach water for 5-10 minutes, rinse with water, then soak for germination. It is called "surface sterilization"
The information about H2O2 isn't untrue, it's simply not black and white depending on the concentration used, which was not specified in the post I responded to. I was unwilling to assume low concentration since 29% and above are readily available these days.

As you said if you are using low concentration peroxide, the 3% most widely available isn't doing much of anything because H2O2 is very unstable and readily decomposes. Worse if it's stabilized as most are these days I don't want any of the common stabilization agents, such as acetanilide, phenol and sodium pyrophosphate, on my seeds.

The CDC discusses some topics about disinfection here:

Anyway I've had good luck with both Rapid Rooters and Jiffy Pellets soaked in tap water. So whatever works for you.

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
Expansion is unavoidable, lol the bug will take you over sooner or later 😉😉😉😁😁
Man it already has. I already love gardening. So to garden something I love? I started on my back patio, brought it to my kitchen, and a couple weeks later later already have a full set up. We are already talking about converting our attic or second bedroom. Just not sure yet. Lol.

Seed of Memory

Paradise Found
Also, pay attention to the threads on here. There are frequently breeders looking for someone that can drop a few seeds for them. There are contests with seeds as prizes as well as the auction that's going on.
I'm broke right now but we have talked about it and have plans to expand. It's funny, 4 years ago my husband bought a giant tent from an old friend that was literally like 8×6×5 or something in that area. Damn thing had 3 doors on it. Anyway, we didn't have room where we lived at the time so we put it in storage and it almost got destroyed so we gave it away. I'm wishing I had kept it.

But we are talking about converting either our attic or our second bedroom for the purpose. Just not sure. Attic would probably be better but it is very difficult to get in there and control light leak. 2nd bedroom is worrisome because it is too easy to get to.

I saw the auction. Really good cause. I'm just sending a small donation for now though. Do the breeders do that to market product or see how it does in an environment they aren't controlling? Kind of like a clinical trial at home.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Do the breeders do that to market product or see how it does in an environment they aren't controlling? Kind of like a clinical trial at home.
From what I have gathered, its more about continued breeding and space. Like, if they crossed two strains looking for a certain trait they might let people run some of the seeds before deciding if there's something in there worth looking for and breeding on their own. If not they might try again or something.

Also, from what I've seen they end up with a metric-shit-ton of seeds each grow. Keeping just the grade-a seeds they still have 3/4 of that in seeds that may or may not pop. I'd pay shipping for a handful of factory seconds any day LOL

@HydroRed occasionally asks for someone to drop seeds "NOW" or don't ask, and he'll tell you what he's looking for.

I'm sure the breeders have better answers. Why do they sell some strains while others are designated as "freebies"? Mysteries of the universe. Sometimes it's best to just say thank you and move on LOL