Advantigious locations ?

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Strawberry will root at the node.
Does cannabis root better @ nodes ?

Given the choice, is "cut A" any better or worse than "cut B" ?
View attachment 17694
Yeah something to think about. Maybe you should do an experiment on that. I always take cuts as shown in B and never had any problems. After one night in water with aloe vera and then to peat moss, usually i got roots in a week. So i’m pretty happy with B. Thats all i can say.

badmofo529

Insanely Active Member
I usually take an entire lower branch right at the trunk (I take clones when I clean them up to get ready for flower), and then take a razor blade and make a 45 through a node (starting slightly above the node, and ending slightly below on the other side). Scrape it up with the razor blade a bit, dip it in clonex and pop it in a plug. Roots in about a week give or take a day or three.

IrocZ

Really Active Member
The roots start growing right below the node. Using the aero-cloner makes it easy to see. So if there is 1" below the node, the roots pop out on that inch. If there is only 1/4" below the node, the roots only pop out on that 1/4". That's where I see them first, fwiw.

RolandBurnem

B) might work just fine, most of the time, for the lucky and patient, but it will always be slower.

A) is MUCH better as the nodes contain Meristematic tissue, plant cells that can become branch, flower or even ROOT cell tissue! crazy! Branching Nodes are where the action happens and a buried node will start forming roots from theses cells that were yet to become branch cells.
A. Bury the nodes!

wiki: meristem is the tissue in most plants containing undifferentiated cells, found in zones of the plant where growth can take place. Meristematic cells give rise to various organs of a plant and are responsible for growth. Differentiated plant cells generally cannot divide or produce cells of a different type.

Dirtbag

Really Active Member
The highest concentration of undifferentiated cells which can become roots is around the nodes. It's best to cut either just below or just above them. I prefer to take cuts about 1/8th inch below a node and usually get pretty much 100% success.

GCG

Dinosaur
45° a little below node is it. I pretty much have cut everywhere including little tiny 1 1/2" shoots from 2 week old seedlings and had sucess. So while there clearly is a best practice, (45° a little below a node) treat your cutting right and you'll get roots.

Vee

Ancient Member
I follow the long held Soviet belief that taking cuts
on the lowest lateral means theirs less (N) to worry about
and at harvest tops get to go on to toke

I prefer to use household honey too as its got the same stuff as
the Clonex bottle besides honey is antiseptic

for those who don't get it.. see this as
basic cambium engineering scrape and tease
..scrape and tease

and yes a 45 degree cut does open up more surface area
but so does a run with sandpaper

cheers/

Dwnundr

Upside down
So I did a comparison of clones, 50% cut at point 'A' and 50% at point 'B'

You be the judge for yourselves. I was hoping for a more definitive answer, might need to do a few more comparisons to see if there really is a major difference.

Note: these were just cut at a 45° angle.
No scuffing, splitting or anything else done.

Just dipped in clonex and straight into the mini pots, foliar sprayed and pots soaked in rhizotonic and water only.

20190914_144323.jpg
20190914_144358.jpg
20190914_144415.jpg
20190914_144447.jpg
20190914_144500.jpg