2021 Veggie Gardens

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Anyone else having these bastards munching on your tomatoes this year? Hadta google it but they are hornworms..?View attachment 98091
Got 1 big tomatoe plant this yr but these guys sure love them leaves. Never had this big of a issue any other yr.
Just curious if u guys had these critters in ur areas
Thx
I haven't seen any hornworms in my garden this year but my squash and zucchini got totally infested with squash bugs. There were so many that I got the heebie-jeebies while I carried the plants to the compost pile. They covered the leaves and the squash like they were at Woodstock.
PFRgKeK.jpg

D

Deleted member 60

On the brink of severe hammerage here. Thousands of tomatoes blushin' up. Ditto that on the beets as well. We've been freezing and canning a lot already but the the next few weeks will be serious...LOL. Then the weed comes in and it's gonna be fuckin' epic shit as well. Definitely a banner year here. This is about 1/3 of the onions that are still out there. My hands smell like onions. no washing that shit completely off...LOL. We topped the tomatoes last week and took off all of the new blooms that simply won;t finish before frost so they got the signal to get the fuck with it.
DSC_3489.JPG
DSC_3492.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
My handfull of pepper plants are doing better now than ever, but the only tomatoes left are the cherries. Some of the vines are at least 40' long. Still putting out new flowers, but the quality is going down. Skins getting thicker and the size is varied now with little bitty ones mixed in.

I want to get everything mulched and a winter crop or cover crop started, but I'm still getting about a pint of tomatoes a day and doing nothing to them.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Same here. My pepper plants are producing a lot more now and tomatoes have slowed way down. The second batch of beets and squash I planted are starting to grow. Eggplant plants still look awesome but fruit production is slowed way down. I pulled all the basil plants yesterday and they were ridiculously huge.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I have had a constant battle with deer & bears the last few weeks I won many battles but they won the war we came home after Labor Day weekend away to find they ate absolutely every tomato I mean there was not even a hint of a red or green one left they also ate most of our bean,peas,potatoe and even cucumber plants I guess it will make fall clean up easier lol... Had similar issue last year but we had our share put up and canned the drought has made the Bears quite aggressive for food normally they don't get pesty until October can't imagine what they will be like in October I have electric fencer around our garbage and shop door I guess I should have electrified our tomatoes lol

D

Deleted member 60

Our neighbors have some clucks and a goose. We get lots of eggs cus we have all of the grass/greenery and they are on the sunny side of the valley with mostly dirt/rocks/desert kinda plants. I take the chicks treats daily. Lately they've been feasting on beet tops/carrot tops and Western native grass that I've been coaxing to grow over the last few years.

We're still covering the tomatoes here nightly. 44F...warmest morning in a week here. Hopefully within a few days we can end this madness and then all that is left is a few zillion beets/onions/in-ground crops and the berries. What a year.........just amazing on all fronts.

D

Deleted member 60

Our neighbors have some clucks and a goose. We get lots of eggs cus we have all of the grass/greenery and they are on the sunny side of the valley with mostly dirt/rocks/desert kinda plants. I take the chicks treats daily. Lately they've been feasting on beet tops/carrot tops and Western native grass that I've been coaxing to grow over the last few years.

We're still covering the tomatoes here nightly. 44F...warmest morning in a week here. Hopefully within a few days we can end this madness and then all that is left is a few zillion beets/onions/in-ground crops and the berries. What a year.........just amazing on all fronts.

D

Deleted member 60

Just took all of the tomatoes off the vines a few days ago. since then we've had 20's for lows and everything but the beets has been brought in.

This is an old pic from a few weeks ago. These racks...and another set just like it on the other side of the garage...and a table...and a big sheet on the floor...are all full of ripening tomatoes. Thousands of em. Wife has 6 pans goin 2X a day now in the double oven...roastin em down and making sauce that kills....

Still have rows of beets in ground and strawberries we are covering that have YUGE berries on em.....but we are getting there.
DSC_3541.JPG
DSC_3544.JPG
DSC_3540.JPG