1000 watt digital (600/750/1000) with bulb

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Hi

What is the minimum space you would run a light like that?

What would be the min height (and what kind of hood to give the most distance between light and plant).
DSCF3313.JPG
1000 watt HPS bulb and digital ballast. It might get cold in the winter and this might help keep it warmer. It did not come with a hood. I can run an air cooled hood at the back of the bloom room (through the scrubber through the hood to outside.

D

Deleted member 60

Nice take !

Perfect for a 4 x 4 area. (62 watts per sq ft). I've seen guys run em in 3 x 3's.....but it's a butt load of light (111 watts per sq ft) and heat would likely be a concern/challenge. I know you can dim that ballast but in my world such things don't happen. Had 6 Quantums at one point about a decade ago...all dimmable....never touched that dial...LOL. (still have 2 of them...LOL) "Full power , Captain....Warp Factor 9....."

Hoods....you can run anything from a huge XXL to a bare bulb. It's all personal preference. I forget...are you running hps/mh now.....or LED? Gonna fill in with this/add extra light or use it as a stand alone (new space? LOL)

Min height? In my world that is all connected to airflow. Get a good flow going between the glass and the tops and you can sit them down on top of the plants pretty close. How close is again...personal preference.... but you can get pretty close if conditions are on par.

And that is definitely a great "space heater" that also grows dope :p Best of luck gettin her goin'!

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I am running all cobs boards and strips. 1200 watts over 35 feet but its too hot so i run it at 900 currently (really well spread out).

I have a 315 CMH as my veg light in a 3 1/2 x 5 veg room and then lights in tents that are way too small for that beast (i use QB135 to max 240 watts of board in those).

I could sell it but i really want to see how dense the buds grow under HPS. I have never used one.

D

Deleted member 60

It would be interesting to see you use it and then hear your take vs. LED. I'm pretty dense in that realm....just never have paid much attention to the LED stuff. When the guys start talking about drives and milliamps and wires and shit it just sounds like Chinese here....(cus it likely is...LOL) All I've ever used in 30 years...other than my first grow with shop lights" in '90...is HID. Hoods...cool tubes...bare bulbs...I've tried most all the fads surrounding their use. I'd switch to LED but I have a bunch of ballasts/hoods etc from the old days just sitting here so it doesn't make much sense in this day and age of legality to invest in new gear. I also wasn't aware of the HEAT issue.....and have been told they don't save much energy....correct or incorrect.....I dunno.

They DO look cool though. Really impressed (as a former Machinist) with some of the builds I see with extruded aluminum frames/etc. Cool stuff.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
I freakout love mine.
I flowered 1k hps plus 400 hps last winter in the hobbit hole.
I was lighting a 5x6 area in a 12x6 room
The basement temp outside the insulated 'double bubble' moved between 5-13C.
I left a intake fan on, in an open window at the far end of the room. Temps were fine.
That statement does demand some qualification.
In a nutshell I could leave a 12 inch fan drawing full-time from an open window @ 30 below C(untykold) and still have abundant heat. I could see insurmountable problems without an unlimited supply of free frosty air.

If you can buy, or find the cold air it is absolutely worth it.
Sticky mentions 4x4 coverage, but did not expand upon the advantigous superior inherent details.
I rarely see an Led fixture that will provide more than 600 ppfd 12 inches below the light. If you move 12 inches off centre - there is nothing there.
LED light is like pissing your name in a snowdrift. Whilst very effective @ the focal point, it leaves undisturbed snow, millimeters away.

That hps will blow photons around like a snowstorm. You can deliver 1000ppfd over a greater area. The off centre coverage is superior with Hps. That is to say - it will still crank out nugs way off centre.
LED is pin point source illumination.

Those new fangled ballasts often run HPS or MH.
Try to change your LED spectrum for 40 bucks.

I guess I have lots of good things to say about it. If you can dump the heat, you will not find a superior light and certainly not for that price.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I have a bulb and i have a ballast....what kind of hood is best?
I was thinking a cool tube and i can hook my scrubber up through that. It should alleviate some of the heat and allow me to run the HPS in the bloom room.

I have to get the reflector so what kind do you think is the best ? I might as well do it right.

If I dont like it i can sell it all with a 4 x 4 x 6 1/2 foot tent that doesnt fit anywhere :D

I want to see the bud density difference. I can run the HPS and 315 and 2 boards and it will light up all 45 feet.

D

Deleted member 60

Cool tubes are sleek and easy to slap into the mix. Rip the shield out and they are seriously good for vertical applications. Not too expensive as well. I kinda wish I had mine back over the MASSIVE XXL magnum hoods I have on hand. They work well but damn...do they ever fill up the tent! Have used Radiant 8's....bat wings and even parabolics in my first grows.

Will be interesting to see where it shakes out for you.....and how you feel about performance/etc compared to LED's.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
The worst thing a reflector can do, is choke light to prevent emitted photons from reaching the plants.
The best thing a reflector can do, is evenly distribute all of the light that you have produced- over a usable area.

Everything@ sticky said is spot-on with my experience.

An above average sized reflector will put out about 1000ppfd across a nearly 4x4 area , with 1k HPS.

Again, as @ Sticky hinted, it is all of the other conditions combined, that determine the intensity of light that can be beneficial.

The higher you wind these things up, the more serious the consequences.

Nothing more life-affirming than, a Speedwobble on two wheels.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
My friend had an 85 gamma that he had ported and polished and custom chambers made. I once snapped the throttle in 3rd gear and had a speed wobble that made me not want to ever ride a 2 stroke again.

Wow was that a hairy ass bike...square 4 2 stroke 500 cc...a GP racer made street legal.

It sounded like 4 chainsaws howling

His was 130HP and about 300lbs...ring ding ding ding

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I look forward to checking it out. In about 1 more month we are sub zero for a long while and i will do some light changes...and try this out in flower. I say 600 watts but its on a 20 amp circuit...probably 1000 watts and lets see how tight buds get :D

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
I have a bulb and i have a ballast....what kind of hood is best?
I was thinking a cool tube and i can hook my scrubber up through that. It should alleviate some of the heat and allow me to run the HPS in the bloom room.

I have to get the reflector so what kind do you think is the best ? I might as well do it right.

If I dont like it i can sell it all with a 4 x 4 x 6 1/2 foot tent that doesnt fit anywhere :D

I want to see the bud density difference. I can run the HPS and 315 and 2 boards and it will light up all 45 feet.
Here is my hood recommendations in order.
1. Compton
2. homemade tunnel ceiling and Vert bare bulb
3. parabolic umbrella unit with a real good fan blasting right under the bulb
4. expensive air cooled hood.
5. cheap cool tube (as slick as they are they do also suck) although you give up a bit o blasting, it is easier to control temps with air cooled. I do feel if one mounts the right fan in the right spot, you can get away without.

After running a 1k in a 5x5 (can crank to 1150w) I personally wouldn’t go near a 4 x 4 let alone a 3x3 with one. Definitely out of the question without air cooled hood. A 4x4 tent or chamber to me screams 315cmh with 4 cobs at 35 w each as backup 450 w.. or a good ol 600hps or better yet a de 6/750. Maybe I just don’t feel the need to compensate for anything.

Last edited:

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
This light would be put in my bloom room. 5 1/2 x 10 feet (about 45 useable). I would use it to cover the back half of the room and then probably leave the cobs on the other half to get perfect coverage.

My 315 is my forever veg light so its not moving !

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Which of these do you think is best for a 4 x 4 x 6 1/2 foot tent? I might as well get some deal

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I will wait until I get the tent setup and figure it out.

I am going with the big 6 or 8 inch air cooled hood because this tent is going right in the basement. I can use the heat down there its cold.

That silverstar 3XL is what i think i will get or something like it. It should spread that light beauty in the tent.

But i just saw a 8 inch one show up on the used trader paper and i am going to see if i can get it for 40 bucks. An 8 inch air cooled hood. :D

Last edited:

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Ok i have a question....lol a HPS NEWB question

Lets say i get a 6 inch air cooled hood. Do you run a fan to push the air out through that hood? Like intake it on one side exhaust on the other with a fan pulling it ?.

Or is it just the air gets at it?

And if you do that can you also run the scrubber through the intake into the light?

Who would have thought LED would be easier...said the old newschooler !

I have seen pictures of grows and they have air cooled hoods being cooled by the air....and no air forced through it. I think they are doing it wrong but what do I know...

Time to spark up something different....purple punch with orangerberry smoothie rolled in skeleton cookies rosin first. I have to go build it !

Jewels

Bon~Fire
Sure, it can be manipulated to suite your goals.
Pushing air may be less efficient, although, cold intake is denser air and the fan stays cooler.

Given that dry'r carbon is more effective, situate scrubbers were intake air is dry'est.