Tinkering, Testing and Dusting

SSGrower

Average Grower
I take you are using the fan to cool the cold side of the peltier?
I was yes. Ended up burning it out. I think because the hot side was not hot enough I was cycling the peltier. Heat would build up until it could generate the curent, once that happend the hot side would cool, generation reduced. I think that one at least needed to be ran at 250F min to be stable and reliable.

Streetpro09

Tester
I was yes. Ended up burning it out. I think because the hot side was not hot enough I was cycling the peltier. Heat would build up until it could generate the curent, once that happend the hot side would cool, generation reduced. I think that one at least needed to be ran at 250F min to be stable and reliable.
I assume you've seen the fans that can be put on top of a wood stove?

I was part of a fire wood forum at one point and I remember guys commenting about them. The fans are very inefficient and kinda pricey for what they do. A wood stove gets up to 600-700F and they can't make a Peltier work efficiently for that. Now I don't know how many watts those fans would use but can't believe they would be much.

Not trying to dog your idea. I'm actually very interested in it if you can make one viable but I think the principals go back to that of a perpetual motion machine.

SSGrower

Average Grower
I assume you've seen the fans that can be put on top of a wood stove?

I was part of a fire wood forum at one point and I remember guys commenting about them. The fans are very inefficient and kinda pricey for what they do. A wood stove gets up to 600-700F and they can't make a Peltier work efficiently for that. Now I don't know how many watts those fans would use but can't believe they would be much.

Not trying to dog your idea. I'm actually very interested in it if you can make one viable but I think the principals go back to that of a perpetual motion machine.
Now worries, I'll dog the idea for you. Its not a viable option for the way I run my cobs, even if did run them hard, id still have a hard time justifying the use of a peltier over a seperate power supply.

Those fans use a thermocouple, basically a peltier is a number of thermocouples in one one unit.
The Biolite camping stove (waste of money except that they provide the tech to third world countries with the profits) will generate enough to almost charge a cell phone, but the tech can create enough light for a kid to read a book and more when the family oven (wood burning oven) is converted.

ChiefRunningPhist

Drunk on Knowledge
Conservation of energy is still maintained. We're just trying to repurpose some of the wasted heat from the light.

I'm guessing thermal cycling is what caused your device to fail, although I'm really not sure. I think certain devices are engineered to work with certain temp gradients and maybe your temperatures being produced were out of its range?

I dont run COBs but really wanted this to work. I'm pretty confident it can be done. I think perhaps doing more searching to figure what temps are present and which devices are optimal is nessecary. Tag me if you fire back up. I didn't get notifications that you were posting. :/

SSGrower

Average Grower
Dont know if you can really see the difference in color here but the one on the right is under fired while the one on the left is properly fired.
20190728_222530.jpg
The one on the right allows water through it and feels wet. The one on the left has been soaking but still feels dry around the top. The inner pieces will be under fired and I have one more test firing to see if I want to over fire the outers. @macsnax they are dry and ready to go, just waiting on me. 20190728_223301.jpg

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Dont know if you can really see the difference in color here but the one on the right is under fired while the one on the left is properly fired.
View attachment 15886
The one on the right allows water through it and feels wet. The one on the left has been soaking but still feels dry around the top. The inner pieces will be under fired and I have one more test firing to see if I want to over fire the outers. @macsnax they are dry and ready to go, just waiting on me. View attachment 15892
Those are pretty nice looking too man. I'll have to get with you when I get back from my fishing trip. I'm leaving this weekend and I'll be back the 15th. I'm actually kinda excited to give one of those a go. Thanks man.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
@SSGrower I'm not sure where to post this, but I thought you would want to see it. This is the biggest mdr, my pops didn't label his plants so the other is mixed in somewhere. I told him to top it last week, like cut it in half, top it. This thing was like, hold my beer watch this, lol. It's already back to the same size pretty much and no pre flowers yet either. Flower stretch is gonna be gnarly.20190729_151557.jpg

SSGrower

Average Grower
Those are pretty nice looking too man. I'll have to get with you when I get back from my fishing trip. I'm leaving this weekend and I'll be back the 15th. I'm actually kinda excited to give one of those a go. Thanks man.
Have fun, where you going? Or what fish are you going for?
Decided to throw caution to the wind and put the outer in the kiln since I have time to do a firing today. Cone 6 over fire test, if they end up in a melted pile we will know it did not work.
20190729_142959.jpg
@SSGrower I'm not sure where to post this, but I thought you would want to see it. This is the biggest mdr, my pops didn't label his plants so the other is mixed in somewhere. I told him to top it last week, like cut it in half, top it. This thing was like, hold my beer watch this, lol. It's already back to the same size pretty much and no pre flowers yet either. Flower stretch is gonna be gnarly.View attachment 15977
She is so big! @Genuity 's gear so sure he'd appreciate any reports you can offer. My guess is the smaller stature one will offer the better buds, thats how mine panned out. The one I have outdoor still has not shown yet, one of my cnc f3 showed boy so the rest should be indicating soon. Concerned I may have too much light polution, neighbor has a light that is always on but its an inside light.

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Have fun, where you going? Or what fish are you going for?
Decided to throw caution to the wind and put the outer in the kiln since I have time to do a firing today. Cone 6 over fire test, if they end up in a melted pile we will know it did not work.
View attachment 15969

She is so big! @Genuity 's gear so sure he'd appreciate any reports you can offer. My guess is the smaller stature one will offer the better buds, thats how mine panned out. The one I have outdoor still has not shown yet, one of my cnc f3 showed boy so the rest should be indicating soon. Concerned I may have too much light polution, neighbor has a light that is always on but its an inside light.
Heading up to AK for salmon a halibut, it's a prefect opportunity for a much needed break..... So what happens if they melt down? Is it trash, or is the material salvageable?...... Ya that mdr is the biggest plant he has by a good margin. He's still getting this stuff down and loves that plant because it grows like that. A lot of his other plants have pre flowers, maybe 60-70% of them and a few are beyond pre flowers. Just to give you an idea how plants are behaving over this way.

SSGrower

Average Grower
Heading up to AK for salmon a halibut, it's a prefect opportunity for a much needed break..... So what happens if they melt down? Is it trash, or is the material salvageable?...... Ya that mdr is the biggest plant he has by a good margin. He's still getting this stuff down and loves that plant because it grows like that. A lot of his other plants have pre flowers, maybe 60-70% of them and a few are beyond pre flowers. Just to give you an idea how plants are behaving over this way.
They become a mothers day gift, look what I made in art class, :poop:. Once it gets above a certain temp (guessing a few hundred degrees but I dont know) it is no longer recoverable.

Here we are at 1569 F about 650 to go for cone 6 which is only about 75 deg more than cone 5. It has some to do with work the heat is doing too, as in the rate of rise. If it is heating up faster the end temperature will be higher than if it is heating up more slowly.

20190729_185804.jpg

20190729_185827.jpg

macsnax

PICK YOUR OWN
Cool stuff, like I said i don't know jack about what you're doing, but I find it interesting...... I think we could use that to fire a massive party bowl with some planning 🤣. And damn! I didn't realize these plants run that long, he's in for a ride through stretch for sure. We both have cuttings of it, I'm gonna let him go into it blind, lol. My phone will be ringing.

SSGrower

Average Grower
Cool stuff, like I said i don't know jack about what you're doing, but I find it interesting...... I think we could use that to fire a massive party bowl with some planning 🤣. And damn! I didn't realize these plants run that long, he's in for a ride through stretch for sure. We both have cuttings of it, I'm gonna let him go into it blind, lol. My phone will be ringing.
Ring...
Is it ready yet?
No.

Ring....
Is it..
No.

Ring....

No.
Click.

I cant wait to see how these things work. The kiln just kicked off at about 2200, I took a peek and looked like they were holding form. Tomorrow am will post results.

SSGrower

Average Grower
Round 2 on the hard pinch. This time went easier on the pinch but also further down so the branches laid over on their own but still support themselfs (except one, but its just propped up anther branch for today).
20190730_104140.jpg20190730_104826.jpg20190730_104149.jpg
I like the way this training method smells at least.
The pots came out good, still need to cool a bit more before I take them out to get pics and can put water in them.