Quantum boards for dummies

Dwnundr

Upside down
Hey all, so I'm first to admit I'm old school and like to stick with what I know. I've run HPS since the beginning of time. But have been having issues in the summer months with heat, and always looking for ways to reduce electricity costs.

Anyway I suppose my question is, how many exactly would I need of these quantum boards to light a 4foot by 4foot space? What type of light for veg and flower? Or the same will do both?

It's extremely overwhelming trying to decipher posts when you guys are just dropping what seems to be random numbers and letters like 3v 268 v2 101191456's is just jargon to people who have no idea about them. And it hurts my brain trying to work it out 😂😂

Cheers in advance for any dumbed down Info for an led virgin.

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
I'm rocking these right now. It's the old model but the price is right. I think 2 would be enough for your space. 3500k would be great for an all-in-one veg and flower light.

If you have more money, check out these newer rspec models tho...

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
I can get these for about $195usd delivered. Seems ok price. What is the difference between the LM301H and the LM301B?

Also I have separate tents for veg and bloom, so which k output suits veg and which suits bloom better? They have anything from 2700k to 4000k.

View attachment 20476
The difference is nothing to be concerned about.

2700K only for flowering. 3000K for flowering. 3500K flower/veg. 4000K veg.

For a 4x4 i would shoot for 450-500w if you are a hobby grower like me. Preferably with 2 separate sets to provide better distribution.

Dwnundr

Upside down
They have these too, but price jump is a bit extreme. Would be better for me to buy 2 if the 240w kits and join them together.

Screenshot_20190904-133010_Samsung Internet.jpg

Getting to be a large investment if I have to buy 6 240w kits to cover both veg and bloom tents.

Anyone had first hand experience going from hps to led?? As in difference in yield and quality? Or should I just buy an a/c unit or something to deal with heat issues?? I'm a cash cropper so dont really have time/space for experiments atm.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Whats ur budget? For around 350-375 bucks i can steer u for a set up that wood give u around 600 true watts of samsung lm561's or lm301b diodes.. It wood give 8 boards of 75w a board. 600 watts in a 4x4 can do the same or better than a 1000hps.

Or option b if money isnt a concern u can try a new xb400 from HGL. From tests the new xb400 led lights outperform my first suggestion by 30% the company claims. Theres tests going on now proving their lights are doing better than hlg quantums. HGL targets certain spectrums including photosynthesis a&b. They also have added reds like 630nm, 660nm, & 730nm for flowering. I got one light from them to test out for them. They got a 120day trial no questions asked policy also. So if ur not happy after doing a run using them u can send it back to get ur money back. If u got any questions u can hit me up. I was exactly like u til i made switch to leds. Its a move im happy i did. No regrets. But if u go led u need to buy from a good quality company. Alot of bs blurple lights that will do the job but not as good as sum.. These are from my experiences and is just suggestions. Heres a pic of new xb400 i suggestex if money isnt a issue. Good luck✌0826191604e.jpg

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
I’d order some quantum boards from shenzhen light co. or something off aliexpress/alibaba. Same shit. Authentic too. You’ll get an original shenzhen light co. Not some shenzhen light co. boards sold three times the price just because hlg or hgl printed on them. Hahah.

Last edited:

SaintyMcCunt

The Convict
Hey all, so I'm first to admit I'm old school and like to stick with what I know. I've run HPS since the beginning of time. But have been having issues in the summer months with heat, and always looking for ways to reduce electricity costs.

Anyway I suppose my question is, how many exactly would I need of these quantum boards to light a 4foot by 4foot space? What type of light for veg and flower? Or the same will do both?

It's extremely overwhelming trying to decipher posts when you guys are just dropping what seems to be random numbers and letters like 3v 268 v2 101191456's is just jargon to people who have no idea about them. And it hurts my brain trying to work it out 😂😂

Cheers in advance for any dumbed down Info for an led virgin.
I'm with you mate, I might as well be trying to decipher ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, none of it makes any sense to me..
Mind if I flick you a message in the next week or so, have a few things to bounce off you

Dwnundr

Upside down
Cheers all, something to try and wrap my head around. I'm sorta starting to get a bit more of an understanding of what's what by doing heaps of reading.

I'm with you mate, I might as well be trying to decipher ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, none of it makes any sense to me..
Mind if I flick you a message in the next week or so, have a few things to bounce off you
Yeah mate, no worries. Go for your life.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
I don't want to stir any shit up, but I would look deeper into HGL's history before recommending them...
Thanks for ur concern and giving me a heads up on things online bout them. All tho i dont no every issue people have had with them in past, i can only go by how they have treated me without spending a dime with them. At times they might come off as know it alls but i can just go bye how well ive been treated.. I respect ur opinion bro.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
They sold out of the Qb132's or I would suggest them. They are cheap and effective AND PROVEN SAMSUNG LM301B DIODES
That was my thinking too. But if they are out of them id go for 2 pacs of qb120's and 2 lrs-350-24 drivers from TRC ELECTRONICS.
Only difference wood be the qb132's wood give him around 600 watts and the qb120's wood give him 560 watts. These smaller diode count boards like the 120's & 132's really allow u to drop them 6-8 inchs off of top of ur canopy to really maximize ur buds.
Strip off every growth thats below top foot of canopy. And them small boards can compete with the bigger 288's boards. Just my 2 cents. Plants r coming along nicely. Good work dude

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
Lots of great advise in here I love it 😚👌💨. I’ve had great success with these blurple Argos68FCDF7F-5E86-4993-AF92-F187BA955028.png t. I bought two and put them side by side to cover evenly above my 4*4 plants. If some stretched more than others I could put the tall ones under one light and raise it a bit higher. I got about the same as I did with hps. these are the blurples that everyone is always complaing about and I still did well. I’m sure they suck compared to qbs and cobs that everyone is recommending now days but My noob point is I switched and I’m happy Even with these knock off blurples. Alll the lights stated above I’m sure are much better than the Argo and cheaper pound for pound lol. I would go with one of them and you will surely be a happy you did. Just my noob opinion make the switch.

Dwnundr

Upside down
Cheers mate, yeah I think I'll at least buy some to try in the veg tent to start with and see what happens. When funds allow, then I can always get some for the flower room if I'm happy with their performance.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
That was my thinking too. But if they are out of them id go for 2 pacs of qb120's and 2 lrs-350-24 drivers from TRC ELECTRONICS.
Only difference wood be the qb132's wood give him around 600 watts and the qb120's wood give him 560 watts. These smaller diode count boards like the 120's & 132's really allow u to drop them 6-8 inchs off of top of ur canopy to really maximize ur buds.
Strip off every growth thats below top foot of canopy. And them small boards can compete with the bigger 288's boards. Just my 2 cents. Plants r coming along nicely. Good work dude
Dude I went to growbro's today and they grew into the lights. Ya think they were damaged. Nah.
Just fucked up and left the fan on low for a couple weeks Nd they arent the happiest right meow.0912191810_HDR.jpg0912191806.jpg

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Dude I went to growbro's today and they grew into the lights. Ya think they were damaged. Nah.
Just fucked up and left the fan on low for a couple weeks Nd they arent the happiest right meow.View attachment 21501View attachment 21502
Ya id say ur ok from them growing into lights. They dont look damaged from that. They look allright. The first pic looks like they could b happier but still ok.
Pic 2 looks like a happier plant. Nice even canopy and nice bush shape. If anything id just pluck off those light robbing top fan leaves and clean up the bottom sites to allow each bud site to n getting max rays just like like the top ones. Just a suggestion not at all trying to criticize or tell u how to do it. Just things ive done with good success. But overall goid job so far dude! Enjoy ur pics bro

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Lots of great advise in here I love it 😚👌💨. I’ve had great success with these blurple ArgosView attachment 21499 t. I bought two and put them side by side to cover evenly above my 4*4 plants. If some stretched more than others I could put the tall ones under one light and raise it a bit higher. I got about the same as I did with hps. these are the blurples that everyone is always complaing about and I still did well. I’m sure they suck compared to qbs and cobs that everyone is recommending now days but My noob point is I switched and I’m happy Even with these knock off blurples. Alll the lights stated above I’m sure are much better than the Argo and cheaper pound for pound lol. I would go with one of them and you will surely be a happy you did. Just my noob opinion make the switch.
Ya bro not hating on any grower if thats what u choose to do. I get it.
Honestly ive seen pretty good buds from screw in led bulbs on a diy fixture.
All lights will grow plants.
My thoughts r the grower skills are as important as choice of lights. A grower can have best light on market but if he dont no how to use it, it really dont matter. Imo.. So ya blurples can grow gpod buds too its just a pain in ass to see plants correctly with lights on. Screws with the eyes is why id rather have a white led. Just my opinions wasnt talkn sheet bout ur grows buddy✌

High kev

Yankee seeds
Breeder
I choose to get the blurples not knowing anything about leds. Wish I had gotten a nice quantum board instead even though the blur poles are doing their job. I hate that I can’t see them in normal lighting lol. I’m just a noob tryin to learn.

Last edited: