Old beans

GetOffMyNutes

CBD Yoda
Need to success stories or some not so successful stories on this. I bought some old beans of a strain I really wanted. Looking for a reliable technique to give them the best shot at germinating. I may or may not be successful but I hope to give it my best shot.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Nowhere near a pro, but if I was that concerned about them popping I would make sure I see a tail before sticking them in any medium. Soaking for 24hrs in warm water (cable box, seed mat etc.) usually does it, but then I'd go with the wet paper if towel method if there were any still not cracking.

I guess I'd rather spend the waiting time being able to look at the bean in question instead of at dirt wondering.

GetOffMyNutes

CBD Yoda
Nowhere near a pro, but if I was that concerned about them popping I would make sure I see a tail before sticking them in any medium. Soaking for 24hrs in warm water (cable box, seed mat etc.) usually does it, but then I'd go with the wet paper if towel method if there were any still not cracking.

I guess I'd rather spend the waiting time being able to look at the bean in question instead of at dirt wondering.
Yeah i know what ya mean... when the don't pop in the soil I'm standing over the cup with some sterile tweezers ready to on operate on the soil to see what the hell is going on..lol

That sounds like the perfect use for bagseeds if you have a collection. germinate some in the water you will then put your $$ bean in.
I’ll use loose seeds for a small batch, but if I’m going to use it to water in my tents I’ll use alfalfa or organic corn. The corn makes me break out a coffee grinder or food processor though so I use that one the least.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I’ll use loose seeds for a small batch, but if I’m going to use it to water in my tents I’ll use alfalfa or organic corn. The corn makes me break out a coffee grinder or food processor though so I use that one the least.
I don't have a ton of bagseeds on hand, Actually tossed a bunch a while back. But I saved the pretty ones. I was thinking more about a micro-scale thing. I germ in a shot glass on a heat mat. covered with a cardboard box. I am thinking just drop half a dozen beans in the water two days before I drop the real beans. Give them time to do their thing then trash them when I drop the real beans. Maybe using an equal number of bagseeds to the number of beans I plan to drop, and in little enough water that it matters.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
And I would save that attempt for when I have known older beans or hard-shell or whatever. I think the surfactant to let the water permeate the beans is the best idea in there for small scale grows. I use 1ml of h2o2 per shotglass of 0pm RO water which I beleive has that as a benefit. But it also bubbles and makes the beans float that are soaked. But they are oxygenated. I tap them or jiggle the cups several times during the 24-hr soak, and I always have soil ready so that if I see tails I can get them started.

printer

Super Active Member
Look up the concentration online, mix some hydrogen peroxide in the water, paper towl, wet it with the water, fold up, put in a baggy. There are papers saying why the hydrogen peroxide speeds up the germinating of the seeds.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Look up the concentration online, mix some hydrogen peroxide in the water, paper towl, wet it with the water, fold up, put in a baggy. There are papers saying why the hydrogen peroxide speeds up the germinating of the seeds.
It adds extra oxygen. recommended is a 30:1 solution for seeds. The mini (shot glass) solo cups hold 30ml to the first line.

I just meant that I was not sure if it is was a surfactant that causes the water to be able to stick to the seed and permeate better.

printer

Super Active Member
It adds extra oxygen. recommended is a 30:1 solution for seeds. The mini (shot glass) solo cups hold 30ml to the first line.

I just meant that I was not sure if it is was a surfactant that causes the water to be able to stick to the seed and permeate better.
SEED GERMINATION AND MATURATION UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF HYDROGEN PEROXIDE-A REVIEW

"However, H2O2is additionally thought to be a signalhub for the regulation of seed dormancy and germination, and therefore the precise regulation of H2O2 accumulation by cell inhibitormachinery is crucial to realize a balance between oxidative communication that promotes germination and oxidative damage that stops or delays germination. Recent studies states that the selective oxidization of proteins and mRNAs will act as a positive effector of seed germination"

Different Modes of Hydrogen Peroxide Action During Seed Germination
The beneficial role of H2O2 as a central hub integrating signaling network in response to biotic and abiotic stress and during developmental processes is now well established. Seed germination is the most pivotal phase of the plant life cycle, affecting plant growth and productivity. The function of hydrogen peroxide in seed germination and seed aging has been illustrated in numerous studies; however, the exact role of this molecule remains unknown. This review evaluates evidence that shows that H2O2 functions as a signaling molecule in seed physiology in accordance with the known biology and biochemistry of H2O2.

And many other papers written. Worth a quick read. If I had old beans I would use it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
however, the exact role of this molecule remains unknown.
Pretty much what I said LOL - I know it works, don't really care why. I just wasn't going to claim it had properties I was not sure of. Neither article mentions it as a surfactant. Like putting dish-soap in your weed killer so it sticks to the leaves instead of beading off of the waxy ones.

I have a pretty good germ rate and have used it for about 2 years.

printer

Super Active Member
Pretty much what I said LOL - I know it works, don't really care why. I just wasn't going to claim it had properties I was not sure of. Neither article mentions it as a surfactant. Like putting dish-soap in your weed killer so it sticks to the leaves instead of beading off of the waxy ones.

I have a pretty good germ rate and have used it for about 2 years.
I read more articles, knew more about what goes one, decided it was a good thing in some cases and proceed to forget it all. Only so much room you know. I was really surprised by some seeds I collected after I found out my haul from another outside plant was not as virtuous as I thought. Those sneaky males in the neighborhood. Anyway, did the paper towel baggy thing and they sprouted in a day. I hope dad was something worthwhile.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I read more articles, knew more about what goes one, decided it was a good thing in some cases and proceed to forget it all. Only so much room you know. I was really surprised by some seeds I collected after I found out my haul from another outside plant was not as virtuous as I thought. Those sneaky males in the neighborhood. Anyway, did the paper towel baggy thing and they sprouted in a day. I hope dad was something worthwhile.
I'm similar. I'll really dig into things to find out if and how well they work, etc. but once it's sorted I shit-can it or add it to the menu of "to do" stuff and move on.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If I'm smart I save the links I used to figure it out. Depends on how much looking it took to find the answer. If it was easy to find I usually have no reference on hand.

printer

Super Active Member
If I'm smart I save the links I used to figure it out. Depends on how much looking it took to find the answer. If it was easy to find I usually have no reference on hand.
:LOL:

You just reminded me, I forgot. I did save the interesting papers in a file. Oops.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
Need to success stories or some not so successful stories on this. I bought some old beans of a strain I really wanted. Looking for a reliable technique to give them the best shot at germinating. I may or may not be successful but I hope to give it my best shot.
How old are they and where were they stored in? I store my seeds in a sealed bag in a fridge at 34 degrees. Never had a problem even with 10 yr old seeds.

619KGB

PICK YOUR OWN
This touches on a few things mentioned above and more

Gibberellic acid

"Plant physiologists began to assist in the understanding of seed germination as the brewing industry sought to improve the alcohol yield in beer making. The industry already knew that it was important to sprout barley seeds. This process was accomplished by soaking seeds in water, then allowing the germination process to produce sugar from starch. The sugar produced is maltose (glu-glu, a disaccharide) so the sprouting process was called "malting." Getting more of this maltose produced was clearly the way to improve alcohol yield per bushel of barley seed."

The diagram (far below) shows the basic process discovered by plant physiologists. You will notice that gibberellic acid (GA) is produced in the embryo. The imbibition process carries the gibberellic acid from the embryo to the endosperm. The aleurone cells (protein storage cells) toward the outside of the endosperm respond to this gibberellic acid. Because GA is made in one cell, transported, and another cell responds to it, GA has been named one of the several classes of plant hormones.

Last edited: