HLG V 2 Rspec A reality check on long term continuous power and adding more later.

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
Just received my two hlg 550 v2 r.
It's a 1000w rated output replacement fixture. @ 1/2 the power demand great ... but there issues.
the reason I chose the the v r spec was to enable flexabity in transition from veg to grow.
If I get a strain the Vegs quickly then my veg space gets crowded not good. I can move the clones out and let them finish veg flip to flower in The 4x8 NFTable tray.
So 10 plants veg 3 weeks 20 " centers on the table. Those lights at 120 pull over 5 amps continuously x 2 fixtures that's 10 amps. That is a lot of current continuously for 70-90 day
Flat blade receptacle are prone to poor connection due to cable weight and accidental unplugs.
A continuous load (more than 3 hours) on a 20 amp protected service is only 16 amps.
There is the issue for those in grow room or grow tents larger than 4x8 .
As well, other stuff needs power too not just lights right and how many receptacles are in your room in your house sharing already other loads else where.

# 1 If your going to use a dedicated circuit for lights run a 30 amp breaker with #10 /3c bx/mc
Type cable use 220v the new 550 v2 r spec are auto voltage sensing. Now the fixtures will pull
No more than 3amps and you can expand out to a total of (3) 4x8 2 fixture grows on 1 circuit and still be at 18amps way below the continuous rating for a 30 amp branch protected circuit.

Now just from deciding on doing this properly for your current and future lighting needs you realize we can not use our existing house wiring for your grow needs !!!
Oh crap I need real power delivery that realization sets in.
Again we are 4x8 and bigger.
Grow veg lights,
Grow flower lights
Charcoal fan filter,
utility work lights ,
grow fans,
meters,
Water chiller,
pumps air and water,
CO2 delivery,
ac mini split ,
dehumidifier.
All of this needs power !

If we approach it like we did the lights you see we need a grower power station!
It's dedicated, it's clean. It's safe & mobile. It's built by you ! Lol .
That's my reality as I look to really build out into my 13x18 x9 grow room.
I'm going to have to build a grower power station (parts from home depo / lowes)
Pics and instructions and keep it simple.

We love weird!!

Now I may be thinking about the qb288's after your suggestion and a deeper look. They do offer those in the v2 r spec at 3500K which would be a one stop shop for a 3x3 in my opinion. I was orignally thinking of doing a CMH 315 centered with a couple qbs to up the total watts to just under 600.

Now I am thinking I could do a double or even triple panel of the qb288's with either the double heatsink or triple, and go with the hlg-320h-54 driver and would likely see just over 300w in there. Thoughts? what wattage are you running?

Big Perm

Budtender
We love weird!!

Now I may be thinking about the qb288's after your suggestion and a deeper look. They do offer those in the v2 r spec at 3500K which would be a one stop shop for a 3x3 in my opinion. I was orignally thinking of doing a CMH 315 centered with a couple qbs to up the total watts to just under 600.

Now I am thinking I could do a double or even triple panel of the qb288's with either the double heatsink or triple, and go with the hlg-320h-54 driver and would likely see just over 300w in there. Thoughts? what wattage are you running?
I think a CMH315 and QB's around it is blasting for a 3x3.
I ran 4 qb288's at 250 watts with no heat sinks and no problems.
I'm not very familiar with a 3x3. Being how it is only 1 sqft more than a 2x4, I would do it with six or eight 288's on a frame and run it at about 300-350w max. I wouldn't use the CMH. That's just me.
I don't run heat sinks on my qb's, but I don't push them hard, either.

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
Im getting hungry for this new lighting setup. Noticed HLG has the qb288 v1's at 3500K, on sale for $45 per board. I could do 3 or even 4 in a 3x3. But now the driver, guess I would have to go up to the 600w driver? That thing is a tad bit expensive.
The hlg 480-48A can do 590 if you believe in killawatt meters.
And on the power subject 100% regular house wiring and breakers are not up to the add ons we growers throw at them, im in a spare bedroom that shares a breaker with 2 other rooms, so it goes pop pretty easily, got to where you couldnt vaccum when my ac in the room was running, luckily my house panel is in the growroom so i added a sub panel myself, 60amp 2 pole feeding the box and 3 20amp breakers. My ac, dehuey, and the 3 big lights are on the sub panel. I rent fron a family friend so it couldnt permanent so no its not to code but is it gonna start a fire, hell no, its all properly sized, grounded, and run well under its rated capacity. all this stuff is pretty simple just make sure to double check all calculations and connections before firing it up, i literally learned how to do it off of the web over a few days.

Yeah I bet that 480 can trip a breaker. Im pretty much a practical electrician and electronics engineer. My room is setup with pretty much all dedicated power. I have a 240v air handler in there on its own circuit. Lights and exhaust are all on their own circuit as well. Currently sourcing over 350w from the wall on a single circuit feeding the lighting. So, I think with the HLG-320-c2100 on the 4x qb132s and a single ELG-100 on the qb288 would be just fine in there. No longer doing a big array of 288s, just going with some 132s and one 288 will likely only push the 288 up to 75-80w.

Im refreshing my engineering background with some online research, but all seems straightforward. Now that I recall everything, I'm like why don't I fabricate some PCBs or design and have them fabricated, order the LEDs and do some hand soldering. I could build these boards fairly easily, but would need to buy the LEDs in bulk quantity for it to be affordable.

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
Pulling up a chair.
You can grow seed/clone to harvest under the Rspec with stellar results.
Awesome lighting array and I have a question. I have the Hgl 550 v2 r spec 480w @wAll 1000w se. replacement.
I have the hangers hooked through the red flat heat sink using the narrow ends longsway hanging with 2 hanger straps on each end @45 degree angle.
I notice a slight bowing effect toward the middle of the red heat sink were the qb288 boards are mounted by riveting to the heat sink. Bowing stress not good on Qb 288 board components. Which now I have taken down until I get 4 hanger on for each corner to remove the stress forces produced by hangers @ 45 degree angled support

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Awesome lighting array and I have a question. I have the Hgl 550 v2 r spec 480w @wAll 1000w se. replacement.
I have the hangers hooked through the red flat heat sink using the narrow ends longsway hanging with 2 hanger straps on each end @45 degree angle.
I notice a slight bowing effect toward the middle of the red heat sink were the qb288 boards are mounted by riveting to the heat sink. Bowing stress not good on Qb 288 board components. Which now I have taken down until I get 4 hanger on for each corner to remove the stress forces produced by hangers @ 45 degree angled support
Deflection baddddd
Led goooooooddddd

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
Yeah I bet that 480 can trip a breaker. Im pretty much a practical electrician and electronics engineer. My room is setup with pretty much all dedicated power. I have a 240v air handler in there on its own circuit. Lights and exhaust are all on their own circuit as well. Currently sourcing over 350w from the wall on a single circuit feeding the lighting. So, I think with the HLG-320-c2100 on the 4x qb132s and a single ELG-100 on the qb288 would be just fine in there. No longer doing a big array of 288s, just going with some 132s and one 288 will likely only push the 288 up to 75-80w.

Im refreshing my engineering background with some online research, but all seems straightforward. Now that I recall everything, I'm like why don't I fabricate some PCBs or design and have them fabricated, order the LEDs and do some hand soldering. I could build these boards fairly easily, but would need to buy the LEDs in bulk quantity for it to be affordable.
Damm bro! @Jesselikes2Grow is starting up a biz. He makes loght rigs for homies on here. Maybe buying in bulk could be a group effort. I would invest. Its the green rush!!

Big Perm

Budtender
What's the question?
Can you take a pic? I'd like to see the bow.
If the weight of four quantum boards and a 480 driver are bending your heat plate, I don't think you got an HLG.

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
I purchased it from ledgrowlightdepo
It’s the real deal . However using the
D ring slings at 45 degrees on both narrow ends I see a flexing or slight bowing due to the angular tension produced by the hangers... that’s with the light not in service . I would think heat load would increase a warping potential. On top of that I was not impressed by the riveting of the boards to the heatsink. Nylon lock nuts are priceless when it comes to an items servicing. I will set the light back up for the pictures and since I have 2 hlg 550 v2 r I should be able to show the flex from hanging with angled support and hopefully no flex hanging by support straight downward from each corner.

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
What's the question?
If the weight of four quantum boards and a 480 driver are bending your heat plate, I don't think you got an HLG.
What's the question?
Here are the pics again this is without heat and angled support seems to add significant stress towards a center bowing. I can try a non angular support which should remove the addition stresses being exerted. I will be utilizing a light mover so motion may have a greater effect or none

Attachments

Big Perm

Budtender
Here are the pics again this is without heat and angled support seems to add significant stress towards a center bowing. I can try a non angular support which should remove the addition stresses being exerted. I will be utilizing a light mover so motion may have a greater effect or none
Everything looks normal to me. Nothing to worry about.
Have you seen that grower that took led strips and bent them into a U and made a bird cage out of some for solo cup grows?
A little flex isn't going to damage anything. Contact HLG I guess is my recommendation if you are still concerned about it, but it looks like you came up with your own solution.

Punisher84

Just some asshole
If we approach it like we did the lights you see we need a grower power station!
It's dedicated, it's clean. It's safe & mobile. It's built by you ! Lol .
That's my reality as I look to really build out into my 13x18 x9 grow room.
I'm going to have to build a grower power station (parts from home depo / lowes)
Pics and instructions and keep it simple.
Following along... I am adding on a room, 12x16, though not doing near the size of grow area as you. Interested to see what you do for power.

I have 100amp circuit at garage. Gas furnace and ac are the only power consumption. (5.8 amps running for furnace and ac combined) I was going to run a separate 60amp sub panel to room. Mini split will draw from main panel. 100amp wire is cheaper than 60amp so I might just run bigger and add a bigger panel.
Curious to see where this goes.