Fire from sticks, 10,000 BC. Anyone else practice this skill

J232

Grow trees or go home
You ever see that show with mick dodge, can’t remember the name, dude lives in the woods in WA just below van island. My old lady is from lady smith, she isn’t amused by these bush people, guess it’s a problem out there lol.

I thought it was pretty cool anyways.

ttystikk

Nerd Gone Vertical
My mom never started a fire without matches but I remember we went camping once and we didn't bring firewood or much to start a fire with. It had been raining for days and it was still drizzling when we arrived. She puttered around for awhile, looking under logs and such while it continued to rain, then built the little teepee of tinder. One match. She kept the campfire going for the 3 days we were there. It never stopped raining.

DougDawson

Really Active Member
I’d like to know more about how you set everything up.
Its really mostly trial and error. Finding the right 2 woods to put together. Softer woods work well for this and I like to use plants stalks for the spindle which is the part you are doing the drilling with. Mullein makes a great spindle and is pretty easily found in North America.
Cattail can work well to but I have not had as much success with it. Cedar, cottonwood and Willow make good hearth boards which is the board you are drilling into. You want a fairly soft wood so when choosing it you just press your finger nail into the wood. If it's easy to make in impression in the wood than it will likely make a good hearth board.

Once you have your materials you shave down the spindle so it is nice an smooth to avoid hurting your hands. This is easily accomplished with a knife or a rock with a sharp edge. Aim for a hearth board about 1/2 inch thick. Make a indentation in the hearth board so the spindle does not slip and than do a test burn. This will create a proper hole that holds the spindle in place. From there you notch the wood. The idea is that heat and friction from spinning the spindle will grind the wood into dust. The notch you create will give a place for the dust to accumulate in one spot. The notch will look like this.
1643486351534.png
You start off slow and as you go increase speed and pressure until you see smoke. This is where the work begins. Now you keep increasing speed and pressure while the dust forms in that v shaped notch. In time there will be enough heat that the dust will combust and start smoking on it's own. You will see a little red glow in the dust while it smokes. Tap the board to dislodge the pile. You should have a leaf or some other thing in place under this hole where you collected the dust.

Now you take that glowing pile of dust and place it in a tinder bundle. This should consist of very dry grasses. I like to add things like busted up cattail heads. The fluffier the material the better. You are looking for lots of surface area and very fine pieces as they will catch fire the easiest . Most materials can be broken down and worked to create more surface area and you want the finest material in the center where you drop the coal. Than it's just a matter of blowing it into flame. Start out slowly and the more smoke you see the harder you blow until it combusts.

I personally find it very satisfying when you get flame from such a method. To take materials around you in a natural environment and turn them into a fire gives you, or at least gives me, a great feeling of accomplishment. Below is a picture of Mullein which most will recognize.

Attachments

Last edited:

J232

Grow trees or go home
Its really mostly trial and error. Finding the right 2 woods to put together. Softer woods work well for this and I like to use plants stalks for the spindle which is the part you are doing the drilling with. Mullein makes a great spindle and is pretty easily found in North America.
Cattail can work well to but I have not had as much success with it. Cedar, cottonwood and Willow make good hearth boards which is the board you are drilling into. You want a fairly soft wood so when choosing it you just press your finger nail into the wood. If it's easy to make in impression in the wood than it will likely make a good hearth board.

Once you have your materials you shave down the spindle so it is nice an smooth to avoid hurting your hands. This is easily accomplished with a knife or a rock with a sharp edge. Aim for a hearth board about 1/2 inch thick. Make a indentation in the hearth board so the spindle does not slip and than do a test burn. This will create a proper hole that holds the spindle in place. From there you notch the wood. The idea is that heat and friction from spinning the spindle will grind the wood into dust. The notch you create will give a place for the dust to accumulate in one spot. The notch will look like this.
View attachment 107228
You start off slow and as you go increase speed and pressure until you see smoke. This is where the work begins. Now you keep increasing speed and pressure while the dust forms in that v shaped notch. In time there will be enough heat that the dust will combust and start smoking on it's own. You will see a little red glow in the dust while it smokes. Tap the board to dislodge the pile. You should have a leaf or some other thing in place under this hole where you collected the dust.

Now you take that glowing pile of dust and place it in a tinder bundle. This should consist of very dry grasses. I like to add things like busted up cattail heads. The fluffier the material the better. You are looking for lots of surface area and very fine pieces as they will catch fire the easiest . Most materials can be broken down and worked to create more surface area and you want the finest material in the center where you drop the coal. Than it's just a matter of blowing it into flame. Start out slowly and the more smoke you see the harder you blow until it combusts.

I personally find it very satisfying when you get flame from such a method. To take materials around you in a natural environment and turn them into a fire gives you, or at least gives me, a great feeling of accomplishment. Below is a picture of Mullein which most will recognize.
Can you imagine being the fucking caveman who did this first lol, unga bungas were loud that day.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone

View attachment 107228

Excellent write up man! Thanks.

J232

Grow trees or go home
It could've been pretty scary. If you don't know what fire is or how to work with it, many bad things can happen. I mean, we could be the only hairless apes for a REASON!
I wish I could of seen it, would of been just like the shows that re-enacted it, apes definitely got burned lol.