Brown rot taking branches

angel4us

Super Active Member
This happened to me last year also outside in my backyard and it’s happening again at the base of a branch shooting off the main stem there will be like a brown fungus or mold around the branch where it hooks onto the main stem and then the branch dies when the brown fully engulfed it

Attachments

Bobby Legit

What smells like a skunk, Dad?
I've also seen this. My experience was a stalk boring larvae/worm. I cut the branch off the plant and split it open, found a soft bodied muncher type larvae, usually just above the soft brown spots, sometimes below. Seemed like their shit/waste would cause the soft spots. That was the only sign of the infestation.

Never bothered with IPM, but should have. I just cut and burned what needed it.

NoWaistedSpace

PICK YOUR OWN
Yes exactly my thoughts a burrowing larva. Common in many soft wood trees like peach.
Have you checked at the base of your stalk at roughly ground level?
If there is a brown spot with what looks like "sawdust" on the stem and ground, you got a "Bore Worm".
If it's a worm, eventually the whole plant will wilt.
If you can estimate how high up the worm is, as @Bobby Legit said, you can split the stalk and pull it out.
The damage is already done but the plant will survive.
They are larvae from eggs that hatch from a "moth" in early spring (April, May)when the plants stems are green and softer.