Best Sour D Cultivar/Strain/Breeder/Seedback?

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
I am just getting into growing and really want to grow some Sour Diesel. It was my favorite "strain" back in the day. I am so sick of all these fruity west coast cultivars that are dominating the markets, even on the easy coast right now. I am really confused on the best way to start growing my own killer Sour D. Do I need to track down a clone of the original mother or are there good seeds. I understand a little bit about breeding/genetics and know that if I get a pack of seeds unless the mother was an IBL I am not really guaranteed to get a pheno that was as dank as the original. Am I better off with a pack of regular seeds over feminized and then do some pheno hunting or is there a newer breeder out there that has already done this work to bring back a killer Sour D line? Thanks in advance for the help.

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Only Sour D I’ve grown was from HSO. Yield was poop, but the effect was great. Very up, clear/focused, get shit done kinda high. Easy to get those seeds I imagine.

Also sitting on some of H’s Ecsd s1’s and Purple Diesel. Heard good things about both. H’s stardawg corey x ecsd also sounds really nice.

Karma is kinda known for his sour d work, so that’s a good option if you can find them.

quiescent

Super Active Member
I'd choose a couple options with sour, don't put all your eggs in one basket.

If you're just looking for smoke I would say fem or regs don't matter too much. You'd be more likely to find a plant more like the mom in a cross vs an s1. You can find good shit in s1's for sure but they're better off being used as a breeding tool than a way to find a keeper. If you find a plant that's almost identical to the mom in s1s you're theoretically going to have less genetic variability in the next generation of whatever you cross it to.

As I said before you're more likely to find something really close to the mom in a cross. What it's crossed to is the question.

I dunno if dynamite diesel is still available at GPS, that's definitely a solid option.

If you can wait for Karma's you wouldn't be completely disappointed. I keep missing the drops.

Top Dawg has gotta have a handle on his sour lines. He has a sour dubb x sour diesel bx.

Shoreline has a BX2 that I'm sure is good. I know he's got the real deal and would bet he's got enough experience with the plant to do those BX2s justice.

Swamp Boys have Juggernaut, ECSD x (GMO x TK/Skunk), would be a more modern version of a sour line if you bred it that way. Better density, resin coverage, more body and for sure more lengthy effects.

Harry Palms at Bloom Seed Co has a Sour Garlic Cookies BX that would be nice if you're looking for a more tame plant with a shorter flowering time.

Souvenir Seed Co has a couple of really cool diesel crosses that, while pricy, are sure to scratch that itch. There's Death Coast Diesel which is basically a fem BX2 with Death Star being the original mother. He also has Rubber City which is Sensi Star x Sour D, the genetics of Death Star. He's pretty sure its the same Sensi Star used in Death Star so that's gotta be dope. I have a few packs of the Death Coast Diesel, I honestly expect them to be more useful than s1s could dream of being.

I'm editing in a recommendation of Useful's Chocolate Diesel s1s or his reg line. I've grown his s1s, they're awesome. I like chocolate diesel more than ECSD when it comes down to it. More complete high, super similar taste - including the unmistakable ECSD aftertaste, better plant in almost every way that ECSD lacks without taking too much away from what makes ECSD so awesome as a plant. I can't believe that this slipped my mind.

Everything I've mentioned so far has been very close to the sour/chem profile but I would be remiss if I didn't recommend you try sour d crossed to a fruity or purple strain of some sort. I think that sour combines particularly well with the darker fruit/berry/grape type strains. Most people try to cross it to a citrus/tropical plant and for the most part those just muddy the diesel out of it.

I'm gonna message you a few options currently available.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I ordered some Karma Dominator x Biker and Karma Sour Leda from Attitude Seedbank since I couldn't find their straight Sour D. I will check out some of the ones you mentioned. Ideally, I'd like regular seeds.
@J.James has this

I have grown out two females. One was fat, and straight fuel. Still smoking on it from a Christmas harvest. The other pheno was about half the weight, a little fluffier, but was straight Cheeto's after it cured. Ground up it had a slight fuel undertone, and in the taste - but the sour is something I plan to hunt again. Or maybe he will and do something cool with it. :)