Baja.Beaches Backyard Playground

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
I realize most here are indoor growers but I was thinking of posting a disorganized urban grow report of sorts.

Coast SoCal urban setting. Neighbors to consider. This is the 30th year for this patch. My state is now legal but privacy is good. I grow mostly outside but some inside & supplemental lighting will join in.

For reference the white bar is 5ft 6. I added that top rail to the fence at 8 ft, I try to stay under that, I prefer it not be visible. We grow lots of camouflage but still hard to contain sometimes.

I am mostly able to grow year round, multiple harvests that vary with the season. I was thinking of posting weekly shots of this patch.

June 5, all present are females just showing, in pots because of neighbor’s unhealthy gardening. Extremely bad bud worm issues later in the year in my location.

This is basically the view from my computer workstation. I have trouble focusing.

I better go look...:D

DSC03233.jpg

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
This spring run p91 X Gogi is down to its last few days. Odd to be harvesting when the days are this long but the flip to reveg will start soon, usually around the summer solstice. trichomes are mostly cloudy, leaves are yellowing. Sticky & Super stinky, it is out of the main patch because I needed to spray, did not want it on this.

If you look at the close-up you can see there is debris from my neighbors tree, if I were going to smoke this I would have to wash it after harvest but the spring ones have too much leaf for me, trichomes are there tho, they go straight to hash.DSC03235.jpgDSC03239.jpg

D

Deleted member 60

Nice. I envy having such a long season to play with. My sunflowers are just breaking ground here and I haven't even set my weed outside yet. (next few days)

But no urban setting...and not a neighbor in sight.

thanks for sharing.

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
Nice. I envy having such a long season to play with. My sunflowers are just breaking ground here and I haven't even set my weed outside yet. (next few days)

But no urban setting...and not a neighbor in sight.

thanks for sharing.
I am lucky to be able to play year round, but you have not even put out your summer crop yet? How far north are you?

At least you don't have to deal with neighbors.

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
Thanks to all here for taking the time to check out my garden! It is a sad fact that I do not get a lot of chances to share my Zen place, only my very closest friends & now you guys.

These are not the best pics but it is what I have for the end of winter, taken March 17, those solo cups seedlings are what is in the garden now. The mature ones in the back went a few days after this pic. Right about the spring solstice.

Keep in mind this was the end of a very cold wet winter. That they survived at all was fun on cold winter days.

The last pic is the reincarnation of the winter crop curing in cellophane. It all went straight to hash. Winter hash is special to me even if they yield is low. About 2 ounces here.

It is fun to see what I can coax out.

DSC02311.jpgDSC02393.jpgDSC03032.jpg

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
Meanwhile, elsewhere in the yard, I call this the CBD corner. Another quest of mine is a balanced CBD/THC strain.

I have high hopes for the 2 in front, Green Crack CBD/Jabba’s Stash bred & generously shared by our friend @Schwaggy P. You know that strain was meticulously planned. In the back is Nigerian Sunshine, which I am still not sure of.

It is difficult to identify the high CBD phenos without testing & testing is expensive. I sure would love to find an affordable & accurate way to test at home, if anybody thinks up interesting CBD test methods please share.

DSC03240.jpg

D

Deleted member 60

I am lucky to be able to play year round, but you have not even put out your summer crop yet? How far north are you?

At least you don't have to deal with neighbors.
Not that far North...but I'm @ 7100 ft elevation. I never put 'em out before June 7. We're just now hitting the 40's for low temps. Plenty of time though. We have 2X the UV/intensity of sunlight you have there (and no June gloom)...so things progress quickly. I'll harvest around Oct. 1. give er take a week or so depending on the weather. As far as year round...have a heated GH...but not for weed. Summer takes care of all needs and then some here.

My neighbors are cool. I give a few of them buds/hash/make em cookies. Keeps em out of the stores.

Nice digs though man. And very nice plants.

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
7100 ft? Yow. Altitude can bring interesting issues. I guess we learn to plan the cards we hold. Bet you have learned some tricks for that. After 30 years in the same plot I make some adjustments every year. For a long time I had a shade cloth cover over it for stealth, I was glad to remove that.

You know about my June Gloom issues? PWM vigilance required for the month. We all have our issues.

Those winter plants I showed held up down to mid 30s, I have been working on the winter strain for awhile for cold & mold resistance, only grow it in the winter.

My wife raises orchids, I bought her a GH for that but not for weed either.

Neighbors....who can forget the year one of my neighbors kids decided to raise plants, his bag seed males seeded my whole garden. Glad he grew up & moved out.

Thanks for taking the time to check out & comment on my garden. Good luck with yours!

D

Deleted member 60

We lived at the same altitude for over 30 years..but 100 miles farther North. Made all the difference. Never had any luck there....with weed or veggies. Kill it here.

Went to LA as a kid. Saw all the surf movies....thought.."how cool!" Went....hit the beach....um....WHAT? COLD water? Swam but turned blue...LOL So much for that! And where is the SUN? "It's June", they said. Say what?
Forgot and went back as an adulkt..in june...and never saw the sun one day in 7...LOL. Here June is a string of days with UV's about 8...usually 10. Now that I think of it...that's "Summer" here....LOL.

Pot will take freezing temps....and for sure...frost. We see that kinda stuff at the end of the run in late Sept. usually...I used to frwak...now i just let em go. Slows em down to a crawl is the worst effect of any of it.

Cool to see how we all play..........thanks again for sharing.

Bruno8437

Super Active Member

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
I ran across a write up for a DIY thin layer chromatography test for CBD. You might want to check it out.
https://www.rollitup.org/t/diy-thin-layer-chromatography-tlc-of-cannabinoids-at-home-tutorial.953423/
Thanks for sharing that link @Bruno8437.

I am generally a tech guy but I have been trying to wrap my mind around that thread for awhile.

Qualitative, meaning is there CBD or not I can kinda understand but quantitative, how much is there is tough. A few days ago I asked an educated friend to help me with it so still trying.

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
This Banana Kush S1 from @Useful is an absolute beast. I am having trouble containing it, must be 4 ft wide now as I try keeping it below 8 ft. It’s not even summer yet. For reference the plant to the left is a decent sized Apollo 11 started the same day.

BK endured rain & wind very well and grew extremely rigid stalks to cope. They do not bend well. I suppose I will need to take more cuts soon. For like the fourth time.

I am looking forward to this BK big time, I remember the cut fondly, very cool how similar this S1 is to my memory of the cut but my cut did not have this vigor.

DSC03294.jpg

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
Garden update a week later if anybody is interested.

I thought I would show the view in the other direction to show the camouflage plantings on that side. You kinda have to be right in front of the patch to really notice it. Like where I am right now typing. Major distractions.

I harvested the super stinky spring girl yesterday. Culled another & gave one away. Still I have overdone it as usual. Surprise. The path is narrowing as I try to contain them.

Shots fired! I picked off 3 budworms this morning. The battle begins early this year. Damn. I have been spraying with Lost Coast Therapy, time to switch to BT. Don't like to spray but no choice. My location is really bad for those budworms, my enemy the Pieris rapae, the imported small white cabbage butterfly. Grrrrrr.….very Grrrrrr.

DSC03312.jpg

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
I am showing this eager MAC x AAW from our friend @rosinallday because I know some of you have these seeds too. He named this one Miracle Warp, interesting genetics there, could be really special.

Another very vigorous strain, early frost shot required a ladder. Strong smells leaning to sour apple candy so far.

DSC03296.jpg

DSC03301.jpg

SCJedi

Synergist
I am also in California in an urban setting. Camo is still good I imagine there are surf punks where you are that's rip in a heartbeat over buying high grade dispensary schwag. It looks like an awesome meditation spot. I sit and have a cup of coffee with mine every AM.

Baja.Beaches

Super Active Member
Hey @SCJedi! I remember some of your outdoor plants but did not realize you were in an urban setting too.

Old habits die hard, I don't know about you but I can't relax the stealth even if it is legal, the less that know the details the better. I did take the shade cloth off the top but still I like hiding in plain sight among lots of other stuff that I love growing anyway.

I spend way too much time out there, a happy place.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

SCJedi

Synergist
Hey @SCJedi! I remember some of your outdoor plants but did not realize you were in an urban setting too.

Old habits die hard, I don't know about you but I can't relax the stealth even if it is legal, the less that know the details the better. I did take the shade cloth off the top but still I like hiding in plain sight among lots of other stuff that I love growing anyway.

I spend way too much time out there, a happy place.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
After 30 years, and many of that blackmarket, I find myself finally starting to relax some. I only have my six outdoors and limited to 30g so they dont go too far over the fence tops. I know how to get them to blow up but I don't need that since I only do it for my terminally ill niece. I get 2+ off of each in that size and that is just fine.

The one neighbor that would complain saw them two years ago and is fine with it. I was friendly about it all and invited him over to look at them. I wonder how he and his wife really feel come October when it is cool enough for windows to open. LOL

Even though I am urban/suburban I am on a 1/3 acre. I have a normal sized fenced yard that contains them and about 1/4 acre behind me to help shelter nosey nellies. The veggie garden is in the far back.

Back in the day the rule was to plant four for every plant you wanted. One for the animals, one for the ripper, one for the cop, and one for me. Jah bless California!

Edit: Not quite as welcoming as yours but it is what it is for a rental. Two Granny Skunk, Two Golden Goat, one Blue Orca Haze, and one Cherry Vanilla Skunk.

Attachments

Last edited: