Your first grow......

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Only thing i got out of my first grow was a nice cannabis walking stick. Found me a nice hole in the woods and planted 3 ladies. Got up to pretty good size but lost all of it to bud rot. Hmmmm apparently you need some air flow to grow outside. Second year i lost all of them to bugs. Third year i moved operations inside been there every since.

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
Just last weekend I had company visiting and we were looking over some pics from around 40-45 years ago (damn how time flies). When I came across some pics of what I believe was my first grow. I just have to figure out how to hook up this printer so I can try to scan it and copy it digital so I can post them. Its odd though as I can remember the plants even right down to where they were planted at, BUT for the life of me I cant remember if they were any good or not, male or female( i wouldnt have known the difference- damn rookie).

D

Deleted member 60

First grow...'74. We planted Mexi bagseed....let it grow to like 3 ft...and chopped it Mid-Summer. We had no clue it should be left to bud. My buddy pressed it cus all weed was bricked then...LOL......and of course...it molded...but being young and seeking the buzz...we smoked it anyway and got super fucked up....cus we had no tolerance/etc. Ah..youth.

2nd grow...outside....new house....in the city....and in Missouri. 1982 and '83. Afghan seeds...lanky, tall plants with quarter size buds all over....far better than street fare/brick.....and it was GREEN...which was a completely different taste than all of that brown Mexi.....most of which (but not all) wasn't that tasty...

Fast forward........

Summer of '90. Never seen it so DRY. Couldn't find bud to save yer soul. Was building a house then. Swore right there that I'd fix the supply problem and would never be out of weed again.

There was an internet by then...sort of (9600 baud, anyone?) but nobody was yet talking about weed...so it was all a solo act with lots of failures and stabs. Bag seed was the rule of the day. By Fall '90 I was set up in the crawlspace with a bank of 5 "shop lights" lighting the way...LOL. Took me one grow to make enough $$$ to jump to a 400 watt hps....and man...i thought I was just rockin the fuck out of it at the time...LOL.

'92 or so i met a guy who told me about this thing called "cloning".....but genetics were still scarce....so it took me another year or so to locate some clones which i happily purchased 6 for $20 each. That started the perpetual for me. I ran that one clone for 15 years...and while it was a small...2K SOG grow (100 plants per cycle a foot or so tall...LOL) it was a very good gig for all those years because not everybody and his brother had yet to jump into the fire. Sure was a fun time....though the NOIDS were in full swing and I didn't sleep much. When i did I had the "blue dreams" where they were kickin in the door/etc...

When Med hit I jumped. Was nice to have some sort of nod even if i was never in count...LOL.

Then legal pot hit and it all went to shit market-wise. Sure was fun while it lasted though!

SoLowDoughLow

Mediocre grower
I remember my first attempt at growing. I was just a teenager. I popped about 6 bag seeds in the windowsill. Once they had a set of leaves, I took those lanky bastards outside and planted them straight in the dirt. I went out to check on them an hour or two later and all that was left was the stem; on every one! I guess a rabbit or something may have been hungry lol

Erick31876

Solo cup champion 2019
My first grow was like 2 or 3 years ago, indoors, 10 plants to start, mixed strains, 2 died, 2 were males, so that left 6 plants of 6 4 different strains. The 2 males I put outside and let grow to collect pollen, well the 1 turned out to be a female that Hermes and gave me a bunch of seeds and the other true Male died. I ended up with a pound and 2 ounces from 6 plants. I started selling it to friends for 100 a zip. After a couple of them tried it I couldn't keep up with the demand and once I realized how good it was I raised the price to 200 a zip the normal going rate around here and have been growing and getting better with each run ever since

shimz

vapest
My first attempt was in college off-campus housing. Bought some plans from a guy who advertised in high times for a "hydroponic" system. The timer for the flood cycle was to be made from an old analog Wesclock that you removed the hands and glued a cardboard "cam" to that would trigger a radio shack roller switch for 5 minutes an hour (lights off too, lol). There were 2L bottles for every plant, cut off and upside-down, connected with PVC pipes. This actually worked. Medium was lava rock, nutrients Dynagrow 16-10-16, genetics Mexi brick, lights T8 shop lights fucking everywhere., overhead, side, angled in wherever they would fit. Fun times.

hhibrownsbacker

Super Active Member
Took a couple days but here they are. Like I said I dont remember what they were or anything else that matters, other than where they were and taking the photos so I could show the girlfriend. Its really hard to believe that this was so long ago(40+ years), just amazes me. If I only knew then what I know now.

Attachments

greendiamond9

First grow...'74. We planted Mexi bagseed....let it grow to like 3 ft...and chopped it Mid-Summer. We had no clue it should be left to bud. My buddy pressed it cus all weed was bricked then...LOL......and of course...it molded...but being young and seeking the buzz...we smoked it anyway and got super fucked up....cus we had no tolerance/etc. Ah..youth.

2nd grow...outside....new house....in the city....and in Missouri. 1982 and '83. Afghan seeds...lanky, tall plants with quarter size buds all over....far better than street fare/brick.....and it was GREEN...which was a completely different taste than all of that brown Mexi.....most of which (but not all) wasn't that tasty...

Fast forward........

Summer of '90. Never seen it so DRY. Couldn't find bud to save yer soul. Was building a house then. Swore right there that I'd fix the supply problem and would never be out of weed again.

There was an internet by then...sort of (9600 baud, anyone?) but nobody was yet talking about weed...so it was all a solo act with lots of failures and stabs. Bag seed was the rule of the day. By Fall '90 I was set up in the crawlspace with a bank of 5 "shop lights" lighting the way...LOL. Took me one grow to make enough $$$ to jump to a 400 watt hps....and man...i thought I was just rockin the fuck out of it at the time...LOL.

'92 or so i met a guy who told me about this thing called "cloning".....but genetics were still scarce....so it took me another year or so to locate some clones which i happily purchased 6 for $20 each. That started the perpetual for me. I ran that one clone for 15 years...and while it was a small...2K SOG grow (100 plants per cycle a foot or so tall...LOL) it was a very good gig for all those years because not everybody and his brother had yet to jump into the fire. Sure was a fun time....though the NOIDS were in full swing and I didn't sleep much. When i did I had the "blue dreams" where they were kickin in the door/etc...

When Med hit I jumped. Was nice to have some sort of nod even if i was never in count...LOL.

Then legal pot hit and it all went to shit market-wise. Sure was fun while it lasted though!
I remember the drought of 1990 in the spring there was a lot of Lebanese Red hash
around then when that was gone there was nothing for months.
I really miss that red hash.

SaintyMcCunt

The Convict
Oh my first grow.. so much bad decisions and timing.. Brought all the gear: tent (cheap and light leaks), cheap shit $10 ph and tds meters, fans (load as fuck), duct, leds and two 600w hps.. Got the shitty bag seeds, vegged them out okay and to a decent size..
Rent inspection coming up fast, so I flipped to 12/12..
Problems were.. start of a hot Aussie summer, no real understanding of nutes and plant growth.. eneded up using the cheap leds to try reduce the heat that was hitting 37°C most days.. Plus I massively fucked up following the bottle instructions, feeding so hard the cheap pen couldn't read it.. Plus the light leaks and not recognising a late male or hermie..
Shit was so bad I nearly gave up

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I have a pic of the plant. Look at that cash crop setup. The 20 watt quasar light was so weak i had to suplement with 3 CFL bulbs. It ended up being a 7 gram bud i think. And it revegged :D I didnt even know what that meant.
The shitty thing is the price of that cash crop could have started me off with a tent and an old school MH or HPS setup and I would have started growing a decent amount.
But the shit I have learned since then is crazy. And I still screw things up but they usually do not result in a 7 gram plant anymore. :D

The plant was a sweet tooth auto.

Attachments

ss nimrod

I’m growing in a 2’ x 2’ cabinet in my basement

My first grow I nearly loved my plants to death, I paid so much attention to them, sweated every niggling detail, spent far too much time with them.

The poor plants were bruised, battered and looked miserable, but they made it, yield was about 1 oz.

I learned less is more, keep the PH at 5.8, keep the fertilizer light (1/2 of recommended) and a funny thing happened, plants look good and my yield went way up.

Now its 5-8 oz’s every 8 weeks, just by leaving the plants alone!

Torontoke

Collector's Edition Seeds
First plant I grew was from a handful of dirty brown Jamaican weed.
Plant ended up around 11’ and probably needed another 8weeks when it was chopped and yielded about 3/4 of a zip.
Few months later I tried my first indoor with old halogen shop lights and somehow pulled some decent bud.
That was the mid 90’s and free was enough for me