You think you've got old seeds?

I AM

Okay...
So 3 of the 4 seeds split...
I can see inside the seed seam...
They still havent spit tails though.

The outer shells were drying...
So I sprayed them up with just enough water.

Im not very confident about it all. I dont have my loupe for a clean photo...but ill try to post one.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Before you try to pop any more seeds get yourself a bottle of URB for $14.99
1600138720618.png

For old seeds use the Undiluted Seed Soak: Pour a small amount of URB into a spoon or bottle cap. Set a timer for 45 minutes. Drop your seeds into the undiluted URB and start the timer. Pull seeds out of the solution at 45 minutes and proceed with normal germination techniques.

For not so old seeds Diluted Seed Soak: Get an organic, unbleached cotton swap and a 8oz glass of clean water. Dip the cotton swab into a bottle of undiluted URB Natural. Dip the URB Natural saturated cotton swab into the 8 oz. glass of water. Repeat until the majority of the URB Natural liquid has transferred to the 8oz solution. Place seeds into the mixed solution. Two methods can be used from this point. You can immediately pour the solution and the seeds into a paper towel, proceed with standard paper towel germination methods. Alternatively, you can let the seeds soak in the solution until tap roots become visible.

For hard to root clones Rockwool / Plug Propagation: Apply URB Natural at a ratio of 2.5ml per gallon of water. Soak the cubes/plugs in the mixed solution for 12-24 hours prior to use. Use 1-2ml per gallon of water each time you water the clone trays.

Mr. Krinkle

Before you try to pop any more seeds get yourself a bottle of URB for $14.99
View attachment 72306

For old seeds use the Undiluted Seed Soak: Pour a small amount of URB into a spoon or bottle cap. Set a timer for 45 minutes. Drop your seeds into the undiluted URB and start the timer. Pull seeds out of the solution at 45 minutes and proceed with normal germination techniques.

For not so old seeds Diluted Seed Soak: Get an organic, unbleached cotton swap and a 8oz glass of clean water. Dip the cotton swab into a bottle of undiluted URB Natural. Dip the URB Natural saturated cotton swab into the 8 oz. glass of water. Repeat until the majority of the URB Natural liquid has transferred to the 8oz solution. Place seeds into the mixed solution. Two methods can be used from this point. You can immediately pour the solution and the seeds into a paper towel, proceed with standard paper towel germination methods. Alternatively, you can let the seeds soak in the solution until tap roots become visible.

For hard to root clones Rockwool / Plug Propagation: Apply URB Natural at a ratio of 2.5ml per gallon of water. Soak the cubes/plugs in the mixed solution for 12-24 hours prior to use. Use 1-2ml per gallon of water each time you water the clone trays.

I JUST ORDERED SOME - GOT A BUNCH OF OLD BEANS TO TEST IT OUT ON TOO - I'LL POST HERE HOW IT'S GOING WHEN IT ARRIVES AND I TEST IT OUT

THANKS FOR THE TIP

curious2garden

Really Active Member
I've ordered some rare (and old) african landrace seeds and wondered what the germ rate will be.
Behold....help has arrived from the holy land itself
I'm way late to this party but so were my seeds. I did my first grow in 1996. At that point there wasn't much on the internet and I knew of no seed companies and I would have been far to scared even if I had. But I did have old seeds rattling around in my underwear drawer since the early 70s. They were simply mexican brick weed seeds, nothing special.

Knowing NOTHING about growing pot I went to the Los Angeles hydro store, bought some rockwool cubes and GH Flora Trio, a 250 HPS, a pump and a book on hydroponic tomato cultivation. I got 8" sewer pipe and made my own NFT rails, picked up some pH paper and a specific gravity bulb, dropped the seeds into cubes and voila four plants.

Everything went great and I dutifully flipped to flower. I had these huge, gorgeous robust plants and one day they started to flower. Two had these odd white things and the other two had these lovely yellow flowers. So I chopped the ones with the weird white things and lavished attention on these huge, beautiful boys.

Phenosearch

Insanely Active Member
Anyone ever find any hidden gems in them old seeds I have some from some brick weed prolly about 15 years old never tried to pop curious as how they would be maybe in the future and two weeks ago my dad let me know he found an old dime bag w seeds in it from me hidden in a dresser from around the same time frame needless to say I stopped over and picked those bad boys up

curious2garden

Really Active Member
Anyone ever find any hidden gems in them old seeds I have some from some brick weed prolly about 15 years old never tried to pop curious as how they would be maybe in the future and two weeks ago my dad let me know he found an old dime bag w seeds in it from me hidden in a dresser from around the same time frame needless to say I stopped over and picked those bad boys up
Pro tip, don't chop the ones with the white pistils.

Vee

Ancient Member
What sand paper grade?
For years I used a jar lined with mid grade sand paper, the deal is you wanna scratch the outer shell so water can leak inside
I have a whole song an dance routine I use
Now for the last few months I got a sheet of sand paper and shaped my own jar taped up with glue and tape, using the lid and lower section of a kraft? peanut butter? jar
if you make one the deal really is not to allow any places those seeds can hide
I count them in...and out ...lol
I also use alo-vera as a surfactant the seeds I drop into a solution of A-Vera and water they float, once sunk -4-8 hours are removed to a kitchen towel and kept warm I plant into rooters or 4 inch pots once the radicle is 2-3 inches long(5 days?)

cheers