Worms, bins and perpetual search for perfection

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Hi everyone,

I have lately decided to produce my own castings. The setup i’m using is a pretty cheap one. Basically was free since i owned everything but it would be very cheap to recreate also.

What i had was couple of old fermentation buckets, for brewing beer or any kind of fermentation. Kimchi. I wanted to utilise them and being an organic grower what i do relies highly on the natural decomposition processes. Plus there are shit ton of leaves stems and much plant matter around the house. You know, you need to complete the cycle.

So i drilled holes in the sides and the underside of one bucket and covered it with cheese cloth to keep the worms inside. I placed it on top of another bucket with a hole in the lid to isolate and collect leachate if that occurs. Which didn’t happen. I also drilled bottom bucket to allow better airflow.

Now after all this effort. I did kinda run into problems but this is my first time with worms indoors. It did go anaerobic because the slurry was too thick. It went very hot once. Like 32-33C in a 18C environment. Worms were happy tho. And i’m sure there will be many more mistakes in the future.

Just wanted to document the ride and try to contribute to the collective human knowledge.

The sole purpose of this thread will be about creating a sustainable indoor worm bin where i can compost my food wastes so this organic stuff can return back to soil. My soil :) And i want to do it without any smells, mites or any other less than desired aspects and to create high quality worm castings. So much so that i want to do whole grows with nothing more than my wormcastings from this tiny system. Will try that too.

0ACAEC7B-F94E-46C0-84E6-E5E083FA0245.jpeg89298020-0184-47DD-A057-75391FACCCA9.jpeg97861B4C-C97D-46FF-B4D7-F727631DD10F.jpegAAC555E4-0A52-4125-AD76-F3D8B0412EFB.jpeg

This is leaf compost i started in another bucket. Gonna use this as bedding from now on.

41398C26-D4E2-41FA-9C8F-32ADD0BD05EF.jpeg

Their next feeding which i’m gonna use it to lure them away from the bin so i can harvest my first castings.

In there;
-oats
-aloe vera

Will add;
-carrots
-tea
-coffee
-DE
-ABV
-grapefruit peel

0362B8E5-9103-442C-9186-7CFA3B2AED63.jpeg

Its gonna be fun!

Last edited:

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Looks like your trying to catch worm drippings? I’ve never tried it.
I don’t let my compost get that wet.
I put them in 10gallons of peat and feed for 1/2 year. Then remove worms and use it. Oh I feed all the “green” waste to the wrigglers too.
Good luck.

crimsonecho

I use a toat and peatmoss. If it’s making heat your feeding too much. Keep damp but not sopping wet. If you squeeze a handful you should just get a drip. Feed all kitchen scraps but cheese and bread. Crush your eggs shells up fine. Good grit and calcium. Love me worms.
Its a compost. If you add nitrogen to it. Like tea and coffee as i do. Its gonna get warm. But the point is i’m trying to find the best feeding regimen for them. For grit, espresso and DE is what i use mostly but some eggshells in there too.

Looks like your trying to catch worm drippings? I’ve never tried it.
I don’t let my compost get that wet.
I put them in 10gallons of peat and feed for 1/2 year. Then remove worms and use it. Oh I feed all the “green” waste to the wrigglers too.
Good luck.
No i’m not trying to catch leachate actually. I just put it up to isolate from the cold floor and if leachate happens it happens. I haven’t actually watered once since i started this bin. Except at the first day. Its been about a month. The food sources have sufficient moisture to keep them happy. And happy they are. Many cocoons. :)

crimsonecho

Yeah the burlap method was a bust. They didn’t move into it. So i just took a more manual approach and hand picked the worms out of it.

I mean it was 250 worms when i started so not a big deal. Took about 15 minutes on a 80x80 tray. But i need a better way in the future.

Also there are many tiny newborns and shit ton of cocoons in there which are very hard to pick by hand. I’ll see if sifting helps.

I’m gonna post some pics.

Also cheese cloth on the bottom doesn’t work. They gobbled it up. :) So now i’m doing a fully open system.

They seem happy. But i think i’ll do something with synthetic sifting screens in the near future.

Again will post pics.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
They don't like light. Some people dump the compost on a tarp and slowly move the dirt out from the centre pile. The worms will move back the the centre pile.
Or I use a 1/4 mesh screening place say an inch in it and place it on to of fresh media. The worms move down in a few hrs and you should hav mostly worm free media.

crimsonecho

Ok i just used a little strainer to harvest some castings out of the worm compost. Results seem satisfying. Casting are very good not muddy. I need a bigger screen for sure but this was what i had momentarily. 1D65E035-37CA-43BC-9380-95AEE95D5245.jpeg88EFABFA-422B-4AB6-AEFC-8E89163FFC21.jpegC64BC7E7-D6FA-461C-9F3B-7D4EF909E705.jpegFEF80248-4EC7-4375-80FB-C7A10B002160.jpeg

I only did a little to see if its done and it seems pretty good. B63A0A2D-E180-4870-AAC9-3C331E9CEA57.jpeg

Anything that stays in the strainer goes back to the bucket. Mostly perlite, hydroton, pumice and little balls of slurry paste. Again from that overly thick gooey slurry. Also i need to pulverize the egg shells. They still haven’t decomposed fully.

crimsonecho

Ok let me share the slurry i made for the worms. Now again these slurries will change as the seasons do. Righ now, i had watermelon rinds and left over grapefruit from a while back. Coffee and tea i get from a local coffee shop. Its just trash to them but a great nitrogen source to me. Eggshells, well i eat eggs and save the shells. Put them into oven in about 90C. Grind with a coffee grinder.

This time i haven’t added any grains because i want to keep it diverse and feed them something different every time so they stay healthy with a rich, balanced diet. Which i think it works. I started with only 250 and i’ve seen many baby worms and many many cocoons while sifting thru. So in the near future my cycles could be even faster which is something i would enjoy. Feeding a big batch of sludge and getting castings in 15-20 days in my little 7 gallon bucket. Would be nice.

Ingredients

320A9C27-77C0-41AB-95B5-D04E8EE08DF6.jpeg

Aloe vera (homegrown-frozen)

31012DCE-EABA-4375-B3CD-2AE83E933019.jpeg

Grapefruit rinds (frozen)

FEAC3DE6-9D85-41FC-B028-4C9F856D3751.jpeg

Watermelon rinds (was delicious)

AC0E367F-BCA1-4FC2-BF84-BD26143B5769.jpeg

Now tea-coffee mix and eggshell flour.

46FA96FD-1810-4F7A-B92F-E617BF11EED7.jpeg

The sludge-slurry

00A84CBB-F371-4974-B126-3833B63F3839.jpeg

Now this goes into the freezer again. Eventho all the other ingredients were frozen, watermelon rinds were not and i really don’t want to risk getting bugs or flies. Its just a nuisance. I’m gonna freeze it over 24hrs and then let it thaw fully and reach room temp then i’m gonna feed. They are going to love it.

crimsonecho

Just gettin' into all of this myself.... was gifted one of these

https://urbanwormcompany.com/product/urban-worm-bag-v2/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIztq14LnS4gIVl6_sCh1HXAsMEAQYASABEgKVi_D_BwE

Between the Compost tumbler and the worm farm...we're gettin rid of most of our food scraps. Hopin to harvest some EWC soon. Been set up about 2 months now.....
Seems like a good setup man! I mean why pay for worm castings when you can get a better product at home for free! Feel free to post your end product too if you like. I just love worm poop haha!

crimsonecho

Population boom! There were zero babies a month ago and now this,

E8D30163-77D7-4B56-A3A3-130B453A0D08.jpeg473BB0D5-33A0-45BB-8DB0-F77A5EB7D9E7.jpegE0AF8FA1-D4EF-4E18-A005-C1BEE401E1AA.jpeg

Feels like they at least doubled.

35BCE453-A9D3-4162-81C7-02432AD27589.jpeg

The bin. Looks fine and the consistency of the compost itself is pretty nice. Very nice texture.

I fed a sludge that consists of watermelon rinds, loquat stems and peels, aloe vera, eggshell, coffee, tea. It seems like its working.

crimsonecho

Ok about a month later, new batch, without any peat moss added. Aloe vera, watermelon rinds, citrus peel and some other fruit wastes went in and this came out. If i can harvest this amount every month, i don’t have to buy castings, ever.

55C297E6-5BEB-424A-B28C-7647747D7F6A.jpegAA477B58-DD1C-4C58-A8EE-199F37B67B13.jpeg862CF5A1-31C5-4BEB-88D3-1DBF4136A9D4.jpeg

I abandoned the first design tho. That design actually worked pretty good when i was feeding more solids and less liquid but with all the water provided by watermelons it goes anaerobic pretty easily. You have to mix it everyday to aerate and i am a lazy man so i have to find some way that suits the trait. I’m using a 60x60cm tray.

Something like this but a square and i covered the top with a cheese cloth just like with the fermentation buckets.

4CDD8EB0-1F42-4B82-93DC-20BE647A4745.jpeg

I still haven’t harvested much as its still pretty wet but in a week i’m gonna harvest all and show how much i got from this simple setup and kitchen waste. Also the microbial activity is sick! The bonsai mothers, seed mothers they all got this homemade ewc and the topsoil in the pots is just booming with fungi. It looks like a healthy forest soil and they show it too.

063FC4CA-A6FE-403E-9225-9DB42D579764.jpeg

I’ll never pay for ewc again.

crimsonecho

Amazing end product. Its just sad that i waisted so much organic material by throwing them into trash. The common concerns, what if they leave the bin? What if there are flies, smell etc? What if my product lacks the required quality? And so on.

All these questions i was trying to answer as i go along and all these concerns were idiotic apparently. They love food they are gonna stay in there. There won’t be flies if you cover the bin even with a cloth and freeze the material for a day or two and thaw it in a covered container. And not much water needed. I never add any water and its always moist and smells like nothing until you bring your nose couple of inches from the pile. And even then it only smells like rich forest soil. As far as quality, i feel confident that it can beat every other ewc on the market in a side by side.

Maybe in the future i’ll do that too. But the quality is clearly visible from the smell, consistency and colour. If anyone is growing organic and doesn’t do ewc, do it. :D

84611006-47E0-4F69-AECE-8C6956D7B25B.jpegD16A16F1-A782-4EE9-B222-45C688091A47.jpegEFF13EE0-636E-4060-921A-13A8CB3B5D40.jpeg

This can last me a while for sure and in 40 days hopefully another batch. Very satisfying and not paying for ewc is just priceless.

Last edited:

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
Awesome job sir, i run a ewc bennie tea in all my systems, bubble cloner included and the bag of ewc i purchased for making the tea was pretty pricey for what i got so i did exactly as you but with 17 gal totes stacked, and a paint bucket filter taped over the top ventilation holes, been running for about 2 months now and they have eaten a lot, 3 2 plant defoliations and a whole cardboard box lol

Jewels

Bon~Fire
That is some fantastic product. I have a few questions, if you dont mind.
I was curious about the substrate and harvesting.
Everything that sifts through the sieve is the final product ?
You mentioned Perlite, hydroton and pumice and I understand those are cyclicaly recovered. I wonder if that is the complete substrate recipe? Are there other consumable medias in the starter mix, besides the feed slurry? You no longer add peat ?

Bonus question,,,
What would happen to fine coco coir during a batch ?
Consumable or Recoverable ?

crimsonecho

Awesome job sir, i run a ewc bennie tea in all my systems, bubble cloner included and the bag of ewc i purchased for making the tea was pretty pricey for what i got so i did exactly as you but with 17 gal totes stacked, and a paint bucket filter taped over the top ventilation holes, been running for about 2 months now and they have eaten a lot, 3 2 plant defoliations and a whole cardboard box lol
Thank you man. Your system sounds nice too. I’m sure your ewc will kick the butt of that pricey one. Post some pics when its done if you feel like doing that.

crimsonecho

That is some fantastic product. I have a few questions, if you dont mind.
I was curious about the substrate and harvesting.
Everything that sifts through the sieve is the final product ?
You mentioned Perlite, hydroton and pumice and I understand those are cyclicaly recovered. I wonder if that is the complete substrate recipe? Are there other consumable medias in the starter mix, besides the feed slurry? You no longer add peat ?

Bonus question,,,
What would happen to fine coco coir during a batch ?
Consumable or Recoverable ?
Thank you. It really is. Homemade ewc is king.

Everything that sifts through is the final product.

Yes i don’t add peat anymore. Those unconsumables are the whole starter recipe or bedding. They provide aeration and a porous surface that carries those bennies to the next mix.

Besides those everything i add is consumable. Left over oatmeal, leaves, slurry, coffee waste, tea leaves, fruit peels some seeds etc etc. Anything that is organic is a consumable. Some take longer to decompose like seeds but they all will in the end.

Coco would be consumable i’m sure. I have never tried it but its organic and just like peat it would eventually turn into castings. Its a common bedding material too. So you know its good stuff.

Do you have a bin going?

Last edited:

Gweedo

PICK YOUR OWN
When i first started my bin it was on a whim so i threw in what i had lying around, about 3 gals of coco the stuff from wally world, some ancient forest just to help build some life in the mix and an assload of shredded cardboard, all my worms are locally sourced as well IE my yard, probably got over a hundred in there no idea the breeds but they are all sizes, most pretty big

crimsonecho

When i first started my bin it was on a whim so i threw in what i had lying around, about 3 gals of coco the stuff from wally world, some ancient forest just to help build some life in the mix and an assload of shredded cardboard, all my worms are locally sourced as well IE my yard, probably got over a hundred in there no idea the breeds but they are all sizes, most pretty big
Well worms are worms man and they can tolerate the worst environments if thats what they get, of course as long as you keep certain perimeters in check ie. aeration, moisture etc. Reds, blues, european nightcrawlers etc are only faster and more efficient but your local guys will get the job done. Just may take a little bit longer.

The thing is every effort that saves organic waste from going to dumps is commendable in my book.