Wifi dimming of Mean Well (and compat??) LED drivers

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
I was thinking that if you can daisy chain multiple grow lights together, it must be possible to remotely control the dimming function with a microcontroller. I was looking at the specs for the XLG series of LED drivers found on many grow lights. I found this...

1646270738461.png

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
These are basically what I am recreating here at a fraction of the cost. All of these smart switches uses the same esp8266 chip but you can run a different firmware on them and bypass running everything through some Chinese server halfway around the world.

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
You would need to monitor the temperature somehow.
For a few dollars more you can add a temp sensor to this setup.

Thats why I personally don't like individual "smart" devices...because most of them need separate apps.
I hate all the different apps to which is why I reflash all my smart devices with Tasmota and run my own server on one of those $35 Raspberry Pi computers. But, on the note of different apps, the vendors are all about to start using some new standards and everything "should be" inter-compatible right out the box in the short future.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
But, on the note of different apps, the vendors are all about to start using some new standards and everything "should be" inter-compatible right out the box in the short future.
Don't get your hopes up. I've been in the integration/automation industry for over 20 years and manufacturers always say they are going to follow standard practices but they never do. All of the TV and video device manufacturers were supposed to follow standard CEC protocol standards starting over 15 years ago but very few of them follow it and come up with their own "CEC" protocols which they rename to their own names "Anynet" is what Samsung calls their CEC control. It's hard enough for them to just provide a clean control protocol or API that is straight forward. Hell, I'm dealing with an alarm panel today that sends a string that starts with a hex byte, ends with a hex byte, but all the data in-between those two bytes are ASCII representations of hex bytes and parsing it is making me want to find who wrote it and smack them upside the head.

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
Don't get your hopes up.
I'm not holding my breath, but smart devices are so prolific and the multi-app ecosystem drives so many people nuts I can see some fairly positive improvements happening relatively fast.

Hell, I'm dealing with an alarm panel today that sends a string that starts with a hex byte, ends with a hex byte, but all the data in-between those two bytes are ASCII representations of hex bytes and parsing it is making me want to find who wrote it and smack them upside the head.
That sounds like fun! For my day job, I reverse engineer motorcycle ECUs and then write software to reflash them.

Wendel

Wouldn't you need a trigger Switch Drive Module With PWM Regulator Control? I doing understand how you would get daisy chained lights to work with just those 3 items.

Edit nvm, I misread