Where is the diminishing returns in a pot size with a bubble bucket?

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
I am building a giant bubble bucket. Using one of the many totes i have (27 gallon totes) and 4 to 6 air stones.
I have a lot of lids for these things (I own 10 or so of the totes and moved all of the useless shit out of them so i an grow with them)..

I was originally going to cut 2 holes in the tote lid and put 2 pots of 3 gallons or a single monster plant in a 5 gallon bucket BUT....maybe that is not the right way to go.

4 containers of 5 litres might be better....Or do you think 2 X 3 gallons would be better?

They can veg forever....i have a place for that and it does not take away from bloom room so what do you really think?

Ideally you should smoke an epic doob first and then offer your opinion...

curious2garden

Really Active Member
I am building a giant bubble bucket. Using one of the many totes i have (27 gallon totes) and 4 to 6 air stones.
I have a lot of lids for these things (I own 10 or so of the totes and moved all of the useless shit out of them so i an grow with them)..

I was originally going to cut 2 holes in the tote lid and put 2 pots of 3 gallons or a single monster plant in a 5 gallon bucket BUT....maybe that is not the right way to go.

4 containers of 5 litres might be better....Or do you think 2 X 3 gallons would be better?

They can veg forever....i have a place for that and it does not take away from bloom room so what do you really think?

Ideally you should smoke an epic doob first and then offer your opinion...
Light will be your limiting factor. You can go with larger and fewer plants or many smaller plants but once you reach your lights max canopy size your yield will remain virtually the same. Good luck on your grow

Bc_ca

Super Active Member
Hi geheels, you know HB recognized that the air stones get crowded out as the root mass takes over the buckets. Cognitively understanding that limitation it’s all about breaking surface water in the bucket and ensuring cool oxygen is in the bucket
To be absorbed into the water.
I think a small water 100 gph pump
In the bucket with tube to allow a fountain effect to break the surface and hit the top of the bucket and crash back down brings more air into the buckets root environment.
I am doing this in my 70 gal Rez now fountain effect. Just a ideal

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Hi geheels, you know HB recognized that the air stones get crowded out as the root mass takes over the buckets. Cognitively understanding that limitation it’s all about breaking surface water in the bucket and ensuring cool oxygen is in the bucket
To be absorbed into the water.
I think a small water 100 gph pump
In the bucket with tube to allow a fountain effect to break the surface and hit the top of the bucket and crash back down brings more air into the buckets root environment.
I am doing this in my 70 gal Rez now fountain effect. Just a ideal
I did this with a 5 gal bucket and it worked great .

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
The air curtains are fantastic I have a pair of tickets using them and they are superior to stones. You can bend them in a circle in the buckets

and the bigger surface area of a bigger tote is nice but for 1 plant it is kind of wasteful. I think what would work better are 4 or 6 smaller pots for a clone run per bucket.. It would be fast. With punch you could cycle it every 8 weeks.

6 oz per tote should be pretty easy (13 US gallons)

KMOG

Always rockin’ at half mast
Is that saying 3 gallons is the lowest or at 3 gallons returns will diminish?
3 gallon in dwc diminishing returns bigger. I’ve found I never need to swap res solution in 3s because they drink it all before the week is up, 5s you end up with the same size plants and yield but need to do res changes to avoid problems. Also gives them fresh water much more frequently than bigger res.