When to top

Timduck

Originally I wanted to top early after the 3rd node but after reading and rereading I was thinking I should wait till she is 16 inches or so tall the thought behind this is that if you top the tap root stops growing is this true

There's not really a wrong way to do it as long as you have 1 node for shoots to grow from.

My preference is to let the plant grow to 5-6 nodes and then I top it back to the second true node. This will give you 4 main branches.
That works great from seed but clones are a pain in the ass. I still have a hard time getting 4 perfect branches from clones. I try to top very early now. Like 4 or 5 days after planting them. Then I keep topping to make a small bush and let the 4 strongest make it. Once I have 4 solid branches I pull the others off :alien:

The really stretchy ones are the hardest because one branch always wants to be the boss.

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
That works great from seed but clones are a pain in the ass. I still have a hard time getting 4 perfect branches from clones. I try to top very early now. Like 4 or 5 days after planting them. Then I keep topping to make a small bush and let the 4 strongest make it. Once I have 4 solid branches I pull the others off :alien:

The really stretchy ones are the hardest because one branch always wants to be the boss.
Yeah, that's true...topping for 4 really only works when you have symmetrical nodes. I'm not a clone guy, I only just rooted my first clones in the past couple of months, and I've been growing since 2013. :oops: