When should I chop

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
Hmmm... So what would you say the best way to get your plants into senescence is DET—PDX?
Make/force them into it and let them have no doubt they are indeed going to die.
Or let them do it all by themselves and don't give them any other stress if possible for as long as it takes.
Plain water, colder temps, drop day time to 11 hours indica and 10 hours if it’s sativa, like 15 min at a time is best. Anything that mimics autumn likely, the plants are very old and adapted for these conditions. Remember these changes in nature don’t really happen all at once, and even sporadic changes outdoors will stress them. Technically equatorial plants never got cold temps, so a true sativa may not respond well to cold. But, I have seen sativa hybrids finish faster outdoors in October in 50s, and they will all respond to less light. Landrace Sativas go into December in places where there is no winter, so with any heat loving plant it would be best to just flush and drop light. Many of the plants we grow these days are hybridized and will tolerate a temp drop, but some do not like it.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Just sounds like clickbait to sell a product. If you are slinging units to feed the family then charge on. Big fat buds doesn't always equal good smoke. But you can sell it like it was based on the looks.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
I vote for no flushing more of tapering. Think making raising geese for foie gras.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
Perfect harvest has some of the dankest weed in MI commercially and they don’t flush their rock wool. There’s no right or wrong way, but it turns out there is some science to flushing. In my experience, Creating ‘autumn’ Too early or too quickly can ruin yield or quality. I only drop temps and light slowly for 5-7 days starting day 56, and watch them each day. I will flush for only 3-4. A true ‘purple’ strain doesn’t need a flush or temp drop to change color and I’ve seen these buds over and over again in commercial facilities.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Creating ‘autumn’ Too early or too quickly can ruin yield or quality.
This was my entire point. Let the plant be the plant. We are already playing God with the environment and everything else. Let the plant grow.

I do agree with adjusting lighting period or intensity as that is mimicking outdoors. There are een dimers that will do the gradual build up then dimming instead of just on-off.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
To be blunt - IMHO flushing is to save your fucking up plants from your regular growing style if you use salts.

Usually preceded by a ""What the fuck is wrong with my plants???" thread being started :)

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
To be blunt - IMHO flushing is to save your fucking up plants from your regular growing style if you use salts.

Usually preceded by a ""What the fuck is wrong with my plants???" thread being started :)
Typically yeah but I swear my soil plants loved mega crop and sweet candy this run. Cutting them off had them eating low buds they faded so fast

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Typically yeah but I swear my soil plants loved mega crop and sweet candy this run. Cutting them off had them eating low buds they faded so fast
I would argue that having good soil, then feeding the worms and microbes and them providing most of what the plant wants is the most efficient.

When I was cooking my plants with salts I used Botanicare "Sweet". Since you are forcefeeding the pants and telling them what to eat (whether they like it or not) you are gonna get a representation of that shelf product in every plant. It does not flush out.

I say cooking for two reasons. One, you are making recipes of nutrients for the plant to eat, and especially in hydro that is what they eat, like it or not. You may find a killer recipe, but can you reproduce it in every plant? Are you enjoying the taste of the mega crop? See what I mean?The second reason is my leaves often looked deep fried :)

Providing minimal inputs lets the genetics show - good or bad. And if they are bad genetics I'd like to know so I don't waste any more time on them.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
I actually found my weed tasting better in coco with sweet candy, it’s got a lot of naturally derived nutrients in it. In soil I have definitely fried a few buds, since then I prefer straight coco or sunshine mix #4. I’m pretty sure sunshine mix and pro mix are the same product, except sunshine has silica added. I have seen growers Veg fogponics or RDWC and flower soil after a transitional phase. It all works if it’s done right.

NoWaistedSpace

I'm Hoarding Skunk
I actually found my weed tasting better in coco with sweet candy, it’s got a lot of naturally derived nutrients in it. In soil I have definitely fried a few buds, since then I prefer straight coco or sunshine mix #4. I’m pretty sure sunshine mix and pro mix are the same product, except sunshine has silica added. I have seen growers Veg fogponics or RDWC and flower soil after a transitional phase. It all works if it’s done right.
I was looking into Floraflex 2 gallon coco coir bags. 10 count for 43.00. I don't think it's "buffered".
Do you add Magnesium to buffer for a stable PH?
They had 50 liter bags for 24.00.