When do you take clones?

Shua1991

Really Active Member
Revegged plants go all wonky and take to long to return, why not just take the cuts when u need them and put the plants under low light. A 4 inch plant under low light will stay dormant for weeks and grow an inch a week. This method is pretty ass backward imo.
to clarify- I'd probably change my methods if I had an ideal environment, but if it ain't broke and so on and so forth.
I'm not always able to clone them on a pheno hunt, I prefer to grow between 30-100 plants to get a real handle on what a cultivar has to offer, I simply don't have the space to clone them all. 90% of my clones in this case wouldn't be "keepers" and wind up in the trash.

On an typical pheno hunt I essentially abuse my plants the first grow, the plants that refuse to hermie/intersex from stress are cloned and reveged, then among that lot I keep the best smoking varieties according to my own biases with some consideration to which handled that reveg phase the best.

I'll start cloning mid flower and the plants that respond best to the stress get to stay.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
to clarify- I'd probably change my methods if I had an ideal environment, but if it ain't broke and so on and so forth.
I'm not always able to clone them on a pheno hunt, I prefer to grow between 30-100 plants to get a real handle on what a cultivar has to offer, I simply don't have the space to clone them all. 90% of my clones in this case wouldn't be "keepers" and wind up in the trash.

On an typical pheno hunt I essentially abuse my plants the first grow, the plants that refuse to hermie/intersex from stress are cloned and reveged, then among that lot I keep the best smoking varieties according to my own biases with some consideration to which handled that reveg phase the best.

I'll start cloning mid flower and the plants that respond best to the stress get to stay.
Oddly enough I started out taking flower clones. I have several plants in re-veg right now and my general feeling on it is "fuck that" 😁

I can do the monster-cropping and if I was cloning for slingin' units I could flower some weight. Not my goal. For preservation you're taking a temporary clone just so you can take a real clone later :unsure::rolleyes:. I like having it in the tool box for emergencies but taking clones in veg is way mo betta.

Icemud

I generally take mine when the plants have been within a day of watering and the plant is mature enough to have some nice fans developed. I used to take the lower branches for clones but now I prefer the top branches instead as they seem to have slightly more vigor for rooting and explosive growth, but that could be placebo too.... I take them anytime during daylight hours except for about 2 hours prior to lights out... seems to work fine for me.

I generally will cut 3-4 per plant I am trying to clone. All stems are cut on an angle, with CLEAN and sterilized scissors between plants, and I use the blade edge to lightly scuff up/scar the tip of the stem where the cut was made.

Immediately after cutting clones, put them into a cup of R/O water to prevent any oxygen causing an embolism. Then I dip each stem tip into clonex and then into a root riot plug. Each plug is placed in a clone tray, with heating pad and humidity dome and a 6500k 8w LED light bar is placed over the dome. I add about 1/4" of water to the bottom of the tray and monitor the water level over the course of 1 week. Usually within 1 week the clones are rooted, but sometimes it may take a few extra days.

Pretty much works for me every time.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Completely unnecessary. People wanna overthink shit. Just cut the shit off and root it.
Plants wanna live. They don't need all this extra craziness to get rooted. Clones shouldn't take 2 weeks to root under the right setup.
You can actually buy clip on rooting pods to do this, it's called "air layering", and it works really well from what I have read. From what I understand it is a lot more commonly used with outdoor plants because you can just scuff a branch, clip it on, and then cut it off when it is rooted. Everything I've read says it roots faster because there is no stress from the cut until after it roots.

Buddernugs

Full send….always
No I'm not talking about veg or flower. You search the internet and all you get is people telling you you can't take clones in flower - :rolleyes:;)

I am talking about specifics, like

time of day (near lights on - middle - near lights off)
In relation to when they were watered last (same day - day after - right before watering)

Stuff like that which usually doesn't come up in a "how to clone" conversation, but probably effects success rate.

Thanks
I took 72 clones ……some deep flower……most right before flip when they were on 24/0 lights…….every single one hit

Shua1991

Really Active Member
You can actually buy clip on rooting pods to do this, it's called "air layering", and it works really well from what I have read. From what I understand it is a lot more commonly used with outdoor plants because you can just scuff a branch, clip it on, and then cut it off when it is rooted. Everything I've read says it roots faster because there is no stress from the cut until after it roots.
I did this on a fluke and it worked so well I now incorporate it into my plant selection process, plants that achieve cloning via this method usually root faster from other methods too. Now I know the nomenclature, thanks a bunch, I didn't realize farmers do this for fruit trees, I just noticed it happening in the wild and tried to replicate it with rapid rooters.

Here's an article for anyone else who's interested.

Buddernugs

Full send….always
What if you took a main branch and build a half gallon sphere to lock onto that main branch then that branch throws roots do you think that branch would grow faster……….I feel a mad scientist experiment coming up in the garden this year

Mad_Ninja

No I'm not talking about veg or flower. You search the internet and all you get is people telling you you can't take clones in flower - :rolleyes:;)

I am talking about specifics, like

time of day (near lights on - middle - near lights off)
In relation to when they were watered last (same day - day after - right before watering)
If you're still looking for input: I clip fourth week of flower, when the soil is freshly watered and I'm just waking the ladies. At this point, they have little flowers poking out here and there, smelling nice. Once they re-veg, which they'll be doing at the same time they're rooting, they'll sprout into a bush! Every flower grows at least one branch! This is an amazing way to do pure sativa, as it cuts down on height issues. You will still have to wrangle with real ganja, but it's far easie once they've a concept of what flowering feels like. You will notice a longer rooting period before growth really kicks off. Three weeks of rooting is typical for my setup. If you do indica, you can just clip clones in veg, which is much more efficient. They will bush out no matter what. But most of them suck and just put you to sleep or magnetize you to the fridge. Whereas sativa takes an extra couples weeks here and there and yields a lot less in certain cases, but their effects are in a league of their own, especially for psychedelic energy. I've had 'em suppress appetite, and even take me on a full-ass journey, like a heroic mushroom trip. The difference is that the optics with the eyes open are kaleidoscopic instead of fully hallucinatory. Nothing beats a face full of landrace sativa charas, I'm sayin' it. I've chewed chunks of it, just bit 'em right off bricks, after decarbing 'em. (There are better ways to get there.) LOL