What would you guess is causing this?

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
So I’m currently using Dynagro nutes for the first time, at the recommendation of “Homebrewer” over on the RIU forum. It’s been working great for me in 5/6 plants I have going right now. In my 2x4 tent, I have two plants that are just about at 4 weeks since sprout. Since the third node, I’ve been feeding 3ml of DG Protekt as well as 2ml of Foliage Pro. Using tap water that comes out between 80-120ppm. One of the plants has been growing like crazy, it’s currently on its 8th node, with no issues at all. The other one is same strain, has been right next to the bigger one the entire grow, and has been doing well up until the last week, I started seeing brown & yellow spotting on the lower leaves. My first thought was PH, I’ve been feeding between 5.8-6.2. I tested the runoff a few days ago and it was 6.37 so I have been feeding 5.8-5.9 since then to lower the PH a bit. I asked Homebrewer since he has ten years experience with this nute, he seemed a bit puzzled but suggested backing my feed down to 1.25 ml per gallon of FP. Unless someone else has suggestions, I’m going to go ahead and try lowering the FP, but just thought I’d see what my friends over here thought.

I do have a bottle of Calimagic on hand just in case I needed it. Homebrewer insists that calmag is not needed with Dynagro, but he also doesn’t grow in coco nor does he grow under high efficiency LEDs, so I’m wondering if Foliage Pro doesn’t have enough cal or mag for plants in coco under LEDs, but I’m always hesitant to add new things or more of what I’m feeding until Ive ruled out everything else first.

I also found “cocojoe’s” DG feeding schedule for coco that I’ve heard others have had good luck with, and he recommends 2.5ml/gal of FP after they get their third node, with an equal amount of calmag. Attached are pictures of the lower leaves in question, as well as the sister plant that’s thriving

DC646F63-B314-4AC2-B22D-4D0C847705A5.jpeg
56136C18-4FD6-4FE3-99AF-934C1235CAEC.jpeg
C43C7971-DE8E-4326-9F2A-2A5243AB11F6.jpeg
D620A4F4-0184-4411-85E2-EC63500396E1.jpeg

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Looks like cal-mag to me. May want a better opinion though. Dont know Coco at all but LEDs will make them crave cal-mag. Just learned that.
Yeah, Calmag is what I would think if I hadn’t talked to Homebrewer at all, the only thing that had me hesitant about adding it was his adamance that calmag is not needed, but I think that could also be chalked up to the fact he doesn’t grow under LEDs. I just don’t see it being too much feed since Foliage Pro is Nitrogen heavy, at 9-3-6, so if it was too much I would surely see signs of N toxicity. Right?

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
So I’m currently using Dynagro nutes for the first time, at the recommendation of “Homebrewer” over on the RIU forum. It’s been working great for me in 5/6 plants I have going right now. In my 2x4 tent, I have two plants that are just about at 4 weeks since sprout. Since the third node, I’ve been feeding 3ml of DG Protekt as well as 2ml of Foliage Pro. Using tap water that comes out between 80-120ppm. One of the plants has been growing like crazy, it’s currently on its 8th node, with no issues at all. The other one is same strain, has been right next to the bigger one the entire grow, and has been doing well up until the last week, I started seeing brown & yellow spotting on the lower leaves. My first thought was PH, I’ve been feeding between 5.8-6.2. I tested the runoff a few days ago and it was 6.37 so I have been feeding 5.8-5.9 since then to lower the PH a bit. I asked Homebrewer since he has ten years experience with this nute, he seemed a bit puzzled but suggested backing my feed down to 1.25 ml per gallon of FP. Unless someone else has suggestions, I’m going to go ahead and try lowering the FP, but just thought I’d see what my friends over here thought.

I do have a bottle of Calimagic on hand just in case I needed it. Homebrewer insists that calmag is not needed with Dynagro, but he also doesn’t grow in coco nor does he grow under high efficiency LEDs, so I’m wondering if Foliage Pro doesn’t have enough cal or mag for plants in coco under LEDs, but I’m always hesitant to add new things or more of what I’m feeding until Ive ruled out everything else first.

I also found “cocojoe’s” DG feeding schedule for coco that I’ve heard others have had good luck with, and he recommends 2.5ml/gal of FP after they get their third node, with an equal amount of calmag. Attached are pictures of the lower leaves in question, as well as the sister plant that’s thriving

View attachment 33862
View attachment 33863
View attachment 33865
View attachment 33864

Almost all Macro deficiencies become evident from the bottom of the plant first and work its way up as it gets worse. Micro deficiencies are usually the exact opposite and are usually expressed at the top of the plant & new growth first. All of your "indicators" are exhibited at the bottom of the plant (oldest leaves). Now that you have a basic reference point to start from, you narrow down the macro nutrients
(N/P/K/Ca/Mg) that could be the culprit. Look up your symptoms and reference it with pictures of Macro deficiencies & you will find you have a classic Ca deficiency.
Remember these couple tidbits (and build on them) and you'll be an ace at reading plants in no time!

Rooted

Plant whisperer
Almost all Macro deficiencies become evident from the bottom of the plant first and work its way up as it gets worse. Micro deficiencies are usually the exact opposite and are usually expressed at the top of the plant & new growth first. All of your "indicators" are exhibited at the bottom of the plant (oldest leaves). Now that you have a basic reference point to start from, you narrow down the macro nutrients
(N/P/K/Ca/Mg) that could be the culprit. Look up your symptoms and reference it with pictures of Macro deficiencies & you will find you have a classic Ca deficiency.
Remember these couple tidbits (and build on them) and you'll be an ace at reading plants in no time!
This is solid
great way to explain how to read em n isolate the issue. . first thought i had was cal too

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
Honestly, that was my first thought after making sure my Ph was in line, I was just hesitant to add it before making sure. It seems a lot of people had luck following CoCoJoe’s formula off of icmag, so I think I’ll adjust to that since that’s coco specific with the nutes I’m using, and then just adjust from there as needed.
0780BB18-FD5F-4E75-98B5-B26BD603FA1F.png

iShatterBladderz

Cannabis Connoisseur
I’m starting to think something changed with my water supply. I have another tent with four seedlings growing in it (70/30 coco perlite) that I’ve been feeding 1ml/gal Foliage Pro and 1ml/gal Calimagic, two of the seedlings are starting to get the same yellow patches with brown spots on the lowest set of leaves. My tap water has been fluctuating in PPM here lately, used to be a consistent 60-70 ppm but it’s been coming out at 130ppm the last few weeks. I’m afraid to add too much more Calimagic as I already am coming out to a little bit over 300ppm and the seedlings are only on their third nodes.

This is really stumping me, I’ve even purchased a higher quality PH meter in case the two I have already weren’t the most inaccurate. My Apera meter is showing about .1 over my two cheaper ones, but I usually ph right at 6.0, so that shouldn’t make a difference. I’m thinking I should buy an RO filter so that at the very least, I can eliminate any unknown variables. To have the same problem show up in two different tents, with two different strains, with different (albeit similar) lighting, makes me think it’s either an issue with the food, an issue with the coco or an issue with the water. Environment is about the same in both, 78 degree leaf temps, humidity swings between 60-65%. Coco is Mother Earth. I really don’t think it’s the food, as I’ve seen many people use the DG line without issue. Those are the only common factors, if it’s none of those, then I guess it’s something I’m doing, although I keep it simple AF so I don’t know what that would be. A friend of mine suggested it may actually be a MG deficiency, I didn’t think MG deficiencies presented themselves this early in veg, although I’m not afraid to admit that I don’t know what I don’t know.

so I think I’m going to go ahead and buy an RO filter, are there any other suggestions in the meantime? I ran down the road to the grow store earlier to pick up another bag of Coco and some cloning gel, The guys at the grow shop told me to just keep doing what I’m doing and not worry about it unless it affects my new growth, but that seems like flawed logic. If I wait until a mobile deficiency is presenting in new growth, won’t that be too late?

I use Dyna also. They recommend R/O water with their nutes. I also used to use Homebrewer's recipe but I no longer use the Foliage Pro and switched over to Grow instead because of the micro's missing from the FP.

I use HP Pro with Myco's. R/O water also. If those plants were mine I be feeding them 700 plus ppm. That would be 800 to 850 for you depending what your water is like. Also I think your PH is right on but you say it's cocoa so maybe lower is better I don't know.

Right now I would put a teaspoon of Protekt and a bunch of Grow in a gallon of water. Check water for ppm first and then add 700 more to it. Probably 7 to 9 ml of Grow should do it. pH it for whatever your medium wants and let them eat. For that many leaves your plants should eat it right up and no tip burn.

If it is Calmag under the LED's, and I don't think it is, then add it later. Your plants look hungry to me. They want more food not less.

Lift the light a little bit and hit them hard with the ppm's. Those leaves should be standing up in 24 hours and reaching for the light. If I'm right, lower the light and keep hitting them with 700 plus ppm every feed for a week or 2. If I'm wrong you add the Calmag for another 100 ppm and check them every few hours.

As soon as you see those top leaves standing the bottom should follow.

Last edited: