What is the best way to start seeds and handle seedlings in DWC?

Hello. I was wondering if you have any tips and tricks for starting from a seedling and then transporting it to a DWC setup? I see lots of different ways about it, but it looks pretty hard.
Do you suggest starting a seedling somewhere else in some sort of propagator before transporting? Some people just start the seed in rockwool or a starter plug like a Rapid Rooter or Root Riot right in the net pot with some sort of dome over the germinating seed and seedling for humanity. I am looking at the 5.5 inch net cup I have for the DWC and it seems really large for a seedling. How do you get them ready?

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Hello. I was wondering if you have any tips and tricks for starting from a seedling and then transporting it to a DWC setup? I see lots of different ways about it, but it looks pretty hard.
Do you suggest starting a seedling somewhere else in some sort of propagator before transporting? Some people just start the seed in rockwool or a starter plug like a Rapid Rooter or Root Riot right in the net pot with some sort of dome over the germinating seed and seedling for humanity. I am looking at the 5.5 inch net cup I have for the DWC and it seems really large for a seedling. How do you get them ready?
You can start them a couple different ways:
1: just like you mention, you can start them in root riot/rapid rooter plugs/rockwool. Keep them in a tray under a humidity dome until you start to get roots out of the plug and can transplant to the net pot.
2: you can start them in a wet paper towel. Put the seeds in the wet paper towel folded up in a ziplok baggie with a little air in it then put that on a plate on your DVR/cable box/modem or anywhere that it will be warm (not hot). Usually after about 48 hrs you will have germinated seeds with 1/2" long tap root you can then carefully put into root plugs/rockwool, etc. I tear my rooter plugs open down the middle about 1/3 of the way as this makes putting germinated seedlings into the plugs much easier.

Once the seedlings have roots established in the plugs/rockwool etc, you can transplant them into your hydroponic medium. Depending on your setup, you may have to top feed until the roots grow out long enough to find the water in a DWC setup. Once the seedling is transplanted into the medium you wont need any domes or anything.

curious2garden

Really Active Member
You can start them a couple different ways:
1: just like you mention, you can start them in root riot/rapid rooter plugs/rockwool. Keep them in a tray under a humidity dome until you start to get roots out of the plug and can transplant to the net pot.
2: you can start them in a wet paper towel. Put the seeds in the wet paper towel folded up in a ziplok baggie with a little air in it then put that on a plate on your DVR/cable box/modem or anywhere that it will be warm (not hot). Usually after about 48 hrs you will have germinated seeds with 1/2" long tap root you can then carefully put into root plugs/rockwool, etc. I tear my rooter plugs open down the middle about 1/3 of the way as this makes putting germinated seedlings into the plugs much easier.

Once the seedlings have roots established in the plugs/rockwool etc, you can transplant them into your hydroponic medium. Depending on your setup, you may have to top feed until the roots grow out long enough to find the water in a DWC setup. Once the seedling is transplanted into the medium you wont need any domes or anything.
I used Rockwool for my NFT tubes. Put them directly into the small cubes and put in a small sealed tray in the dark until they sprouted. After sprouting I top fed until established. Handling increased the risk of damping off from contamination.

I just chickened out and decided to do something i already did with tomatoes and hot peppers, called a sub-irrigated planter, with an Octopot instead of a homemade one. Thanks for the seed starting advice though.
They hydro stuff was doing my head in and I don't have the confidence in it for my first ever grow.