Water cure

Skunkle Justin

Hey guys, I’m about to harvest a Dubstep that wasn’t growing so well. I wasn’t even about to cull it because, well, it’s fucking dubstep so I’m keeping it. Anyway... I’m gonna do a water cure with her and if anyone else does this and has some good tips, I’d love to hear what y’all have. I’ve done this before successfully and have honestly been looking forward to doing it again. What do you guys think?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
After reading about it, I may try this on a a small jar just to see the difference. I am thinking that ~0ppm RO water should work, since you are changing it daily. I think a salad-spinner would be a good investment to go along with this method

Skunkle Justin

I've read a little bit on water curing as well as that Malawi style. Never appealed to me but interesting nonetheless. Definitely like to see how you make out with it!
I’m gonna have to look into Malawi style. Never heard of that. I can post some videos if you or anyone is interested. I just like the fact that I can literally smoke water cured weed anywhere smoking cigarettes is acceptable. There’s no difference in smell

Skunkle Justin

After reading about it, I may try this on a a small jar just to see the difference. I am thinking that ~0ppm RO water should work, since you are changing it daily. I think a salad-spinner would be a good investment to go along with this method
Honestly, tap water works fine or if you have a basic filter pitcher or faucet filter. My tap was also coming out of the faucet (without a filter) last time at about 60 ppm, so take that for what it’s worth.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've read a little bit on water curing as well as that Malawi style. Never appealed to me but interesting nonetheless. Definitely like to see how you make out with it!
I'll pass on the water curing after reading more. I grow organic, and haven't had harshness issues with anything I have grown recently. Don't care if it smells like weed either :)
But thanks for the Malawi reference. I happened to have some limbs hanging that were on day three, and perfect to try this on one. IMG_0107.JPG
I have it re-wrapped, vac-sealed, in a tupperware container on a seedling heat-mat for 24 hours. We'll see what happens.
IMG_0108.JPG
This was the thread that sold me on trying it. Good charts for how it is supposed to work.

Skunkle Justin

Well, I let my buds soak for a week and am now letting them dry out. I was changing out the water twice per day until it stopped smelling like fresh cut grass. Very little plant smell left and the buds have shrunk in size by about 20%. Last time I let the PPMs of the water get down to 80. This time I got impatient and took them out at 120. I’m out of weed, so....

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I was getting plant pics so I snagged on of the cob's. The one in the middle doesn't have the moisture that the others do. Each is about a half ounce. I have the Sacred Lotus clone I grew from one of these moms (chopped last night), and am going to do one more, with the recommended 1-2 ounces and commit to doing it right instead of a test.
IMG_0444.JPG

Now1more

Super Active Member
@H.A.F. I look forward to your smoke report. Spent a couple of hours yesterday reading about this method. Not a lot of videos out there, maybe a dozen.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
@H.A.F. I look forward to your smoke report. Spent a couple of hours yesterday reading about this method. Not a lot of videos out there, maybe a dozen.
I think that just based on eary trial and error, starting with it a little too wet is gonna be better than too dry. You open it after a day to get rid of excess moisture anyway.

I have about 5oz of Sacred Lotus left from three plants after dropping a half ounce each into the cobs just for personal smoke - so the clone (another ounce and a half) was perfect for doing one the exact way it recommends. I may actually hash the rest for some one-strain budder instead of a jumble-keif colletion

This is 35g as is, Chopped Halloween, so it is just under 3 days hanging.
IMG_0475.JPG
Combination of rolled sushi-style with lots of pressure, and waddint it in my hands to get the right shape
IMG_0476.JPG
And it is going to be at exactly 40 degrees celcius for 24 hours.
I just stuck a soux vide cooker in a pitcher since I don't need a lot of roo for dinner in there.
Clipped a couple of quarters to it to make it sink
IMG_0478.JPG

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
The other thing is that the skinny ones were about a bud-thick. the dryish one broke back apart when I re-wrapped it.

I think having the bulk for the fermenting to happen in is probably the key. We'll see, but if I do a small amount from each grow because it's good, I'd lean towards rolling it into more of a ball than a spliff.

Now1more

Super Active Member
I'll try it with my food dehydrator, sealed of course. I like the idea of using the modem/router. Think I might give it a shot. I have some bud left that still over 70% rh. Would that be too dry?

I'm excited to give this a try. I sure do miss those old school strains. Different high altogether, but then again I was a novice smoker 30 years ago.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I'll try it with my food dehydrator, sealed of course. I like the idea of using the modem/router. Think I might give it a shot. I have some bud left that still over 70% rh. Would that be too dry?

I'm excited to give this a try. I sure do miss those old school strains. Different high altogether, but then again I was a novice smoker 30 years ago.
I think if it's jarred don't waste your time.

What I gather is that you want it to be veg-moist. Lots of chlorophyl still there, something to degrade and ferment.
Right now it is the moisture in the cob that is being heated by the water in the pitcher.
With drier stuff I think you are doing a mildly-damp, half-ass decarb.

I am still going with the wifi router after the first 24hrs. It kept the little sacks warm to the touch, which I think is good wnough for that first week after the initial cook.

Now1more

Super Active Member
Yeah, everything is jarred. Well, next run. I do look forward to seeing how it turns out for you.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yeah, everything is jarred. Well, next run. I do look forward to seeing how it turns out for you.
Me too! One will be ready middle of the month, and it was a good one. Then the other two skinny ones at the end ot the month.

This fatty looked good when I re-wrapped it. A little moisture. It has 7 days on the wifi now then re-pack and it will soak until Christmas

Now1more

Super Active Member
I'm just curious to see if it has that old school effect. I remember smoking something around 91' that we referred to as California Red Hair. That shit gave me auditory hallucinations and I remember feeling sensation that the best way I could describe it as running your hand under warm water over a barrier of cellophane. Weird, I know! Then it put me out! Missed part of the Metallica concert because of it. Visual hallucinations were crazy! Everyone that got off the bus had their faces blurred like on tv, except that their faces were superimposed with the face of someone I knew.

Laced? I often wonder. Novice smoker that stumbled onto incredible bud? I was only 17 and everyone in the group was right around the same age. I often wonder if the joint was hit with some liquid LSD. Seems the most plausible, but these people still claim 30 years later that it wasn't. Hell, my best friend had the same issue.

Skunkle Justin

Well if anyone cares about the water cure.....
It came out awesome! The bag appeal is shit but it always seems to go that way. I dried the buds in my oven, nice and classy like, over about 6 hours so they had a darker browner color than normal and were a little crispy. Since it all seemed to be going so well, I smoked about half a gram in a joint and I had an incredible high from it. I think taking it out of the water at 120PPM actually actually was beneficial. There was still a noticeable taste of the terps which didn’t come through when I left the buds in until is was at about 80.