VPN if you don't know, now you do

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
I recently switched over to Mozilla's new VPN services for $5/month. Mozilla is the non-profit organization that gave us the Firefox web browser, and is a key member of the World Wide Web Consortium (helps to develop new web standards e.g. HTML 5)

A VPN routes your internet traffic through an external server so that your IP address is hidden from the world. It is the only way to navigate the internet anonymously.

At $5/month it's a bargain. Easy to setup and use, and I haven't noticed any significant slow downs in browsing speed. Well worth it especially for those in prohibition locales.

Currently supports Windows 10, Android, and iOS. Mac and Linux support coming soon. Other VPN providers offer support for Mac/Linux.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
i think everyone should be running a vpn. But plz just keep in mind....

Vpn services can be a 1 hop proxy. that proxy could be logging your information even when they "promise" you that they dont log anything. There are a couple vpns out there that we'll say have been "battle tested." try to stick to these tried and true providers and not just any vpn service for the cheapest price.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Can you elaborate on this?
Tails is a bootable Debian os. U drop it on a flash drive. Everytime u take the flash drive out the os is wiped. U use a 2nd usb to save everything on.

It automatically changes ur MAC address Tails whonix and quebes are the safest os these days. But there’s a learning curve to using them.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Just use tails from an bootable flash drive. better than any VPN.
VPN is going to be a different use case than tails.

I think tails automatically routes ur traffic over tor. You need to understand what type of mass surveilence your trying to beat and use these certain technology’s to stay safe no matter what your doing online.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Just use tails from an bootable flash drive. better than any VPN.

I think tails automatically routes ur traffic over tor. You need to understand what type of mass surveilence your trying to beat and use these certain technology’s to stay safe no matter what your doing online.

For example. U use tails. Your isp. Comcast Verizon whoever knows your using tor. Some ppl are ok with this.

But you can also use a VPN to build your 1st tunnel into the tor network. Than ur isp would only see you connecting to your first hop the VPN. And if ur vpn is 1 of the good guys and not loging any of ur information you’ll be a hell of a lot safer than not using any of these technology’s

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Way over my head, ability, and willingness to learn. I’m not real great with computers.
if the willingness is out the window i would just set up a a trustworthy Vpn. Vpn services are usually pretty easy to set up. theres a bunch of diff configs you can use. for example i have my vpn installed directly on my router. everything that goes thru my router is wrapped in a vpn tunnel. but this isnt the only config.

for you....id go with 1 of the services below. Usually itll be an app you download then 1 click of a button to turn it on and boom your alot safer than you were yesterday.

Battle Tested Vpns
-Nord
-Express
-Pia
-Mullvad

Sm0key42o

For example. U use tails. Your isp. Comcast Verizon whoever knows your using tor. Some ppl are ok with this.

But you can also use a VPN to build your 1st tunnel into the tor network. Than ur isp would only see you connecting to your first hop the VPN. And if ur vpn is 1 of the good guys and not loging any of ur information you’ll be a hell of a lot safer than not using any of these technology’s
VPN used with tails can cause a security breach it was built to have everything inside the program as far as your isp you can use bridges to tor to prevent that tails is an operating system for the tor network no VPN needed everything is built in for security using anything outside of the software its self can cause security issues.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
if you guys are really serious about security and being anounymous tails is the only way never trust just VPNs everyone has there preferences... Its easy to learn to use and install ECT..
We'll just say im very familiar with information security. and yea id say tails is safe but id say qubes and whonix are just as safe if not safer depending on the individual use case. Most ppl arnt going to take the time to learn a new system like tails or qubes. Its a trade off for most people. Security or convenience. Each of these technologys have different use cases. Its not a 1 system beats all.

shit most of the ppl that have been caught (watch a defcon talk) have fucked it up themselves. sometimes when you use these technologys without first understanding them, that in itself can cause a security problem.

Edit: and never trust a vpn that hasnt been battle tested.

ex) Theres a few of these Vpns out there that were subpeoned by the fbi for customer records and information. A couple of these vpn companys came back and said we cant give you the information bc it does not exist. we do not log anything. and it was proven with court documents.

but as smokey said....you should never trust a single point of failure

Last edited:

Sm0key42o

We'll just say im very familiar with information security. and yea id say tails is safe but id say qubes and whonix are just as safe if not safer depending on the individual use case. Most ppl arnt going to take the time to learn a new system like tails or qubes. Its a trade off for most people. Security or convenience. Each of these technologys have different use cases. Its not a 1 system beats all.

shit most of the ppl that have been caught (watch a defcon talk) have fucked it up themselves. sometimes when you use these technologys without first understanding them, that in itself can cause a security problem.

Edit: and never trust a vpn that hasnt been battle tested.

ex) Theres a few of these Vpns out there that were subpeoned by the fbi for customer records and information. A couple of these vpn companys came back and said we cant give you the information bc it does not exist. we do not log anything. and it was proven with court documents.

but as smokey said....you should never trust a single point of failure
Well said @Artisan_tek

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Its a trade off for most people. Security or convenience.
Security privacy or convenience. Windows is every bit as secure as Linux (as secure as the dumb ass between the screen and keyboard 😜).

But I get what you're saying. I used Linux for many years and honestly I'd never go back to it. Not enough software support for anything mainstream, the included apps are usually pretty lame, and for everything else you're downloading packages and editing config files. Llinux can grep these nuts and chmod my ass lol.

Best of both worlds might be to setup a box with tails and route your windows install 80/443 traffic through it...

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
Security privacy or convenience. Windows is every bit as secure as Linux (as secure as the dumb ass between the screen and keyboard 😜).

But I get what you're saying. I used Linux for many years and honestly I'd never go back to it. Not enough software support for anything mainstream, the included apps are usually pretty lame, and for everything else you're downloading packages and editing config files. Llinux can grep these nuts and chmod my ass lol.

Best of both worlds might be to setup a box with tails and route your windows install 80/443 traffic through it...
all depends on your threat model. The question you want to ask yourself is What are you trying to defend against?>

i would say that there are some pretty secure technologys out there right now tho. and they have been tested to the fullest. tor, moxi marlinspikes signal, tails team, folks over at whonix and qubes. all these techs when implemented and used correctly can really help you stay safe while online. The problem again tho is not everyone is a techy. i no the last time i checked the tails team was working on making tails more user friendly.

quebs and whonix are not user friendly. even took me awile to get used to qubes and their bloody containers.

Edit: Signal -very user friendly. just download and start texting