Vegan Mega Crop?

Highsince76

Super Active Member
This is from there website page.
So my question are.

How close to organic is vegan?

Is it still considered a "salt" type fertilizer?

Can you still support a living soil if using it?

"Is Mega Crop Organic?
MEGA CROP is a Vegan fertilizer, not Organic. Vegan fertilizers have the exact same standards as Organic fertilizers as far as toxins, heavy metals, and other contaminants and pollutants.

“Organic” fertilizers refers to a certification done by the private company OMRI, which will give OMRI Listed® certification once paid the appropriate fees ($$) and requirements are met.

Vegan fertilizers have several advantages over Organic fertilizers.

Not sourced from animals, so no risk of antibiotics, antiobiotic resistant bacteria, pharmaceuticals, hormones or pathogens that are associated with animal based fertilizers
Far more water soluble and available to the plants, for better absorption, quicker and complete uptake by the plants
Lower environmental impact
Not supporting the animal agriculture industry"

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Look for the OMRI listing on nutes to see if they are "organic". The FF Trio is a good example. the Big Bloom (used throughout the grow) is a basic organic supplement and you could probably feed it to the plant straight - not that I'd try it :)

The other two (Grow Big and Tiger Bloom) are not listed as organic, they leave a sale residue, and require flushing to prevent salt buildup and nute lock-out.

I am trying their Happy Frog set of dry top-dressings. All organic, 5 different mixtures of mostly the same stuff. Each has a little something different for the different stages of growth. It also calls for some of their liquid products (only the organic ones) and seems to work well using all at about 25% of recommended.
FFHF-e.JPG
I already had their liquid "12-pack" so I had all the extras, and they make sense - microbes, fish based, kelp based, etc. But I think all probably have a suitable (cheaper) alternative. I will keep using the schedule, but things like the "Alaska Fish Food" stuff at Walmart is roughly the same as the FF "Wholly Mackerel" for about a quarter the price.

Highsince76

Super Active Member
Look for the OMRI listing on nutes to see if they are "organic". The FF Trio is a good example. the Big Bloom (used throughout the grow) is a basic organic supplement and you could probably feed it to the plant straight - not that I'd try it :)

The other two (Grow Big and Tiger Bloom) are not listed as organic, they leave a sale residue, and require flushing to prevent salt buildup and nute lock-out.

I am trying their Happy Frog set of dry top-dressings. All organic, 5 different mixtures of mostly the same stuff. Each has a little something different for the different stages of growth. It also calls for some of their liquid products (only the organic ones) and seems to work well using all at about 25% of recommended.
View attachment 49481
I already had their liquid "12-pack" so I had all the extras, and they make sense - microbes, fish based, kelp based, etc. But I think all probably have a suitable (cheaper) alternative. I will keep using the schedule, but things like the "Alaska Fish Food" stuff at Walmart is roughly the same as the FF "Wholly Mackerel" for about a quarter the price.
Maybe I'll pick up there Big Bloom, give it a try.
I've got a few unhappy, hungry girls with about a month to go. Lol

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Maybe I'll pick up there Big Bloom, give it a try.
I've got a few unhappy, hungry girls with about a month to go. Lol
Big Bloom is CRAP! :poop:

Literally- Bat crap, bird crap, etc ;) Hardly any NKP to it though, so it might not produce the boost you are looking for. It is excellent for upkeep of the soil though if you have mainly organic stuff.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado

View attachment 49481
I use the gia green mixed w the flower girl dry amendments and they work great I must say theres alot of decent cheap products out there

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I use the gia green mixed w the flower girl dry amendments and they work great I must say theres alot of decent cheap products out there
I agree - I think I have this "system" fairly dialed in. As I run out of one liquid component on the schedule I'll look for a suitable replacement and dial that in. I'm only using 1-2ml/gallon on most of it. The main food comes from the top dressing.

I switched from their "Bembe" cane sweetener/microbe-food to the Botannicare Raw

Highsince76

Super Active Member
Yea, I've never used the organic liquids.
Usually get by with what I put in soil from the get go. Maybe a couple teas.
But this time I used to small of containers and Let them get to big. Won't do that again.
Guess I should of been more prepared and on top of it a little more.

ZezoZose

News to me! I always figured the Chitosan Oligosaccharide found in Mega Crop was derived from shellfish, but after further research I have discovered that it can also come from "fungal walls" as well as from the "exoskeletons of arthropods and insects". It might be interesting to find out for sure though...

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
News to me! I always figured the Chitosan Oligosaccharide found in Mega Crop was derived from shellfish, but after further research I have discovered that it can also come from "fungal walls" as well as from the "exoskeletons of arthropods and insects". It might be interesting to find out for sure though...
Probably like citric acid or something that has lots of different sources.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Yea, I've never used the organic liquids.
Usually get by with what I put in soil from the get go. Maybe a couple teas.
But this time I used to small of containers and Let them get to big. Won't do that again.
Guess I should of been more prepared and on top of it a little more.
I was reading the Big Bloom ingredients, and a compost tea is exactly what it seems like. Lots of goodies, but few of the base NPK nutes. Close enough for lazy people like me that aren't brewing teas.