Tutorial: How to Make your Own Compost

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
Tutorial: Make your Own Compost Properly - BuildASoil

Five steps to turn organic waste to compost:

1. What is composting?

Composting is the biological decomposition of organic wastes by bacteria, fungi, worms and other organisms under controlled conditions where oxygen is available.

Decomposers are not much different than people in terms of their basic needs, so be sure to provide your microbes with all of the basics:
  • Food: Carbon and Nitrogen (Browns & Greens)
  • Water: Moist, not soggy
  • Air: Oxygen
  • Volume: 3' long x 3' high x 3' deep or 3-5 foot diameter by 3 feet high
  • Particle Size: Less than 2-3 inches
2. What can I compost?

Anything that was a plant. All plant materials contain nitrogen and carbon. Materials high in nitrogen are called "greens", e.g. grass clippings, manure, and kitchen scraps. Materials high in carbon are called "browns", e.g. leaves, sawdust, and wood chips. Before adding materials to the compost bin, chip or shred items so they are no more than 2-3 inches long.

3. Where do I compost?

Most people compost in a bin, which may be located in the shade or partial sun. A bin is not necessary but helps keep the materials contained and neat. Your bin can be cubed, approximately 3' x 3' x 3', or a 5' diameter hoop of hardware wire. Place equal volumes of greens and browns in the compost bin. You can layer the materials in the bin by alternating 3-4" layer of greens and 3-4" layer of browns. Or you may mix up greens and browns and place them in layers in the bin. Water the compost as you build the bin.

4. After I build the compost pile, then what?

The compost may heat up due to biological activity and will certainly settle as the materials decompose. To speed up the process turn the compost bin periodically. Turning means taking everything out of the bin and then putting it back. Try to move the materials from the outer sides to the center.

You may add more materials at any time. Bury food wastes in the center of the pile or cover with brown materials such as leaves. You can also start a new bin for handling additional materials.

5. When is compost ready to use?

The compost is finished composting and ready to use when it has a uniform look (like soil), dark color, small particle size, and "earthy" odor. Most of the materials you put in will no longer be recognizable. Use finished compost as a mulch, soil amendment, or potting soil.

Now Let's Get to Composting!

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I have 4 25gal containers going with red wrigglers. They are in peatmoss bedding and are fed kitchen scraps. No bread or cheese. Lots of egg shells too. I usually feed them for 6 months.
Does this seem like a good thing to use? At say 30%?

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
I have 4 25gal containers going with red wrigglers. They are in peatmoss bedding and are fed kitchen scraps. No bread or cheese. Lots of egg shells too. I usually feed them for 6 months.
Does this seem like a good thing to use? At say 30%?
These links will have some helpful info!

Last edited:

Highsince76

Super Active Member
Just started a compost pile about a month ago. Three old pallets standing on end with a half sheet of particle board on the front to keep it all in. Right now it's pretty much filled with 50/50 mix of grass clippings and hardwood leaves. Hopefully be adding assortment of stuff throughout the summer.

Seems like every good organic grower will tell you "Quality" compost is the key to a good mix, and the difference maker from a good grow to a great grow; with a big emphasis on "quality".
And I believe them.
That's also why I'm embarrassed to say what I have in compost cost this run!
Top notch compost is very $$.
And it isn't even a option locally for me.
So throw in shipping...and bend me over!
1 cu. ft. of Bu's from Amazon $40....

That's why making my own compost got my attention, and I'm finally doing it. Yea...
Now I just have to find some Nettle...and some Comfrey....and...

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
So throw in shipping...and bend me over!
1 cu. ft. of Bu's from Amazon $40....
Best deal when I have to mix some soil and don't have local access to good compost / Worm castings is the -
BuildASoil Home Brew 6 Pack - At BuildASoil.com
  • Worm Castings
  • Chicken Manure Pellets
  • Oly Mountain Fish Compost
  • Colorado Pinto Bean Compost
  • Prospectors Compost
  • Malibu Compost
1/2 Gallon of each for $30 or 2 Gallon packs of each for $65 (Free Shipping)