Triple Berry + Hydro

PhatNuggz

I was gifted some Triple berry seeds. Alas, due to lessons still being learned incorporating O2Grow 2020 Emitter system and issues with 2+ yo Emerald Harvest 3 Part Grow nutes (might be bad, though EH denies it. Go figure lol), the prior grow had serious root issues that slowed root development and consequently plant/bud size, I barely harvested a quarter oz WET!.

Started again (still not figuring out where the culprit was/is, I switched to Hydroponic Research V +B in hopes of solving the issue. Alas, 2 of the plants pictured here are also runts., so I am wondering whether the organic coco pellets might be at fault since the next grow seeds have similar non rooting issues (see pics), BUT the next 2 I dropped are doing well. So, still pulling my hair out trying to pin it down

The larger of the 2 older seedlings finally has roots exiting the net pot, the other one I have been hand feeding the coco pellet , but still no roots. Frustrated, I saw a thread on a different forum where the grower uses sea minerals, which I have unsuccessfully tried in the distant past, but what the H, I started hand feeding the coco yesterday (<300ppm), leaving the net pot above the hydro bubbles hoping for a miracle

I made fresh nutes this morning

The brownish roots could be from coco pellet leakage, but will give it a h2o2 bath just in case. They are no where near as brown as they appear in the picture

Cross your fingers

IMG_4661.JPGIMG_4662.JPGIMG_4663.JPGIMG_4664.JPG

Last edited:

PhatNuggz

Dammit: Problem I refused to acknowledge is root rot

I started soaking in h202 yesterday, but

This morning I moved a puffed out coco pod that I was using to support one of the plants and noticed it was wet. The light bulb turned on. The coco pellets are the source of my root rot issues going back 3 grows, as I noticed they stay wet in the bubbler. Apparently not designed for constant wetting from the bubbler: DUH DOH. I thought about lowering the water line but first I added a second net pot with some small marbles in between raising the coco pellet ~ 1/2", so that the coco doesn't get so wet.

All 4 are now drying out outside the bubbler. I will lightly hand feed 2-3Xs/day until they recover, then back into the bubbler.

Once they recover I will reintroduce the O2G 2020

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Dammit: Problem I refused to acknowledge is root rot

I started soaking in h202 yesterday, but

This morning I moved a puffed out coco pod that I was using to support one of the plants and noticed it was wet. The light bulb turned on. The coco pellets are the source of my root rot issues going back 3 grows, as I noticed they stay wet in the bubbler. Apparently not designed for constant wetting from the bubbler: DUH DOH. I thought about lowering the water line but first I added a second net pot with some small marbles in between raising the coco pellet ~ 1/2", so that the coco doesn't get so wet.

All 4 are now drying out outside the bubbler. I will lightly hand feed 2-3Xs/day until they recover, then back into the bubbler.

Once they recover I will reintroduce the O2G 2020
Is it possible just put to the bubbler on a timer?

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
Sure. What schedule do you recommend?
Id try maybe 1 hr on/4 off. Give the pellets a little time to dry out. Check on the pellet about 5 min before the pump is set to come on and see if the pellet is still fully saturated from the last cycle. If it is, give a bit more time between on cycles. If not, just shorten the time frame between cycles. You want them to have a period where they get "hungy" and search for nutrients/water.

PhatNuggz

Id try maybe 1 hr on/4 off. Give the pellets a little time to dry out. Check on the pellet about 5 min before the pump is set to come on and see if the pellet is still fully saturated from the last cycle. If it is, give a bit more time between on cycles. If not, just shorten the time frame between cycles. You want them to have a period where they get "hungry" and search for nutrients/water.

100%. I learned that feedings need to be tied to dryness from my HPA days.

I did a most successful experiment a few grows back when I replaced the bubbler with a hybrid low pressure pump (~ 600 gph) with high pressure mist heads on a timer. Alas, the plants went south AFTER I put them into my F & D. Now I realize it was because I was flooding too high, saturating the coco

I only went back to bubbler because I was having issues with clogged mist heads

Pretty sure this revelation closes the nightmare chapter I've been going through. Now I just need to solve the clogged mist heads and once again should be getting killer growth and PhatNuggs :cool:

Before and after pics
IMG_4232.JPGIMG_4633.JPGIMG_4166.JPG mist

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
100%. I learned that feedings need to be tied to dryness from my HPA days.

I did a most successful experiment a few grows back when I replaced the bubbler with a hybrid low pressure pump (~ 600 gph) with high pressure mist heads on a timer. Alas, the plants went south AFTER I put them into my F & D. Now I realize it was because I was flooding too high, saturating the coco

I only went back to bubbler because I was having issues with clogged mist heads

Pretty sure this revelation closes the nightmare chapter I've been going through. Now I just need to solve the clogged mist heads and once again should be getting killer growth and PhatNuggs :cool:

Before and after pics
View attachment 2490View attachment 2491View attachment 2493 mist
How long are you getting inbetween clogged sprayers?

PhatNuggz

not long. I put a nylon sock over the pump and put the pump on a riser so it wouldn't be sucking directly off the bottom, but still had clogging. A real head scratcher

will revisit it once I get these plants recovered with enough roots. As you can see some of the roots started browning, which I think is due to spray heads misting too high thus soaking the coco pods. A smaller gph pump perhaps, but probably best for clones

In the mean time, putting the bubbler on a timer helped a ton. Top of the coco is now dry. Still working out o/o times, but plants have stabilized. Hoping to see new roots in a couple days. TY!

Hydro

PICK YOUR OWN
not long. I put a nylon sock over the pump and put the pump on a riser so it wouldn't be sucking directly off the bottom, but still had clogging. A real head scratcher

will revisit it once I get these plants recovered with enough roots. As you can see some of the roots started browning, which I think is due to spray heads misting too high thus soaking the coco pods. A smaller gph pump perhaps, but probably best for clones

In the mean time, putting the bubbler on a timer helped a ton. Top of the coco is now dry. Still working out o/o times, but plants have stabilized. Hoping to see new roots in a couple days. TY!
I heard of folks using cheese cloth to wrap the pumps. Might work better than a nylon for finer particulates that can make their way to the sprayer.

PhatNuggz

Whew: Finally Seeing the Light
Plants are all stabilized but will not start growing until new roots get established, probably in a week there should be enough take some root pics

Since they are stunted, not expecting much (where have we heard that before)

Anyway, dropped 5 seeds into sea mineral water (sans salt) so I can make up for the last 6 months of poor grows

PhatNuggz

Recovery looking good, especially with the plant on the right. Plant in upper left will be coming on strong soon. The lower left has roots inside the second netpot, should be exiting soon

5/6 new seeds will be dropped into coco pellets as soon as they swell up

The hole in the upper right is where I put plastic bottles of ice, which get rotated 3-6Xs /day

IMG_4670.JPG
IMG_4671.JPGIMG_4671.JPGIMG_4672.JPG

Attachments

shimz

vapest
Interesting. Can't deny those results if true. I run RO, but according to the aqualiv site that's about the worst (for people). Of course, I'm adding calcium and magnesium to it, so probably ok. If we could get our "radishes" to grow like that, it would sure be something. How do you get your SW?

PhatNuggz

Interesting. Can't deny those results if true. I run RO, but according to the aqualiv site that's about the worst (for people). Of course, I'm adding calcium and magnesium to it, so probably ok. If we could get our "radishes" to grow like that, it would sure be something. How do you get your SW?
One thing I learned much later in my SW journey is: You need to add the salts FIRST, then structure. In the beginning I was attempting to stricture PRIOR to adding salts. But it makes since as pure RO has no, or very little charge

PhatNuggz

I have a device for my drinking water that cycles 24/7 ( www.pythagoras432.com ).

For mixing nutes, I've tried a variety of DIYs to simulate the stupid expensive SW devices. Since they mostly vortex the nutrient solution I use a multiblade blender that creates a vortex.

The pic below is one of the methods I've used to circulate nutes in my rez. It has to be on a timer otherwise the temps quickly get too warm

FIMG_4344.JPGIMG_3588.JPG

Last edited: