Transferring to hydro?

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I start in root riots or RW seed or cuttings.
What is your protocol when transferring to hydroton pot and flood and drain table.
Do you put the cube so it is flush with th top of hydroton and how far up do you flood the cube? Maybe you hand water for a bit?
I can see a problem of getting the cube too wet
Anyhow what's your go to?

Green_256

What's a SIP?
I don't really have a great answer for that, but I was going to say, I start in a turbo kloner, which is aerophonics I think lol, then I plant into soil!

I would think, that you just root it in your plug or w.e. then once you have some roots stretching out, add it to your system or how ever you do your version on hydro, wither it be a net pot, or hydroton! just stick it in there and make sure its not moving around! I'd also advise maybe raising the water lvl to accommodate the roots being so small!

BUT HEY TO BE CLEAR I'VE NEVER RAN HYDRO, AND I HAVE NO IDEA HOW RIGHT THE ABOVE STATEMENT IS!
but it does seem like that would be the only way, just don't want u going running around saying "oh well green told me to do this" lol so I'm being very clear I have no idea, but that would be my guess!

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
If using rockwool root the cube until you see roots coming out of the cube. Then transfer into hydro system . Do not let the water touch the rockwool. Leave it below the cube about a 1/2 inch. I usually hand water until roots are coming out of the net pot, usually 2 times a day. If rockwool gets over saturated you will get mushy stem and possible root root. I purchased the current culture net pot that has the raised center . I just put the cube on the raised portion and leave the water level 1/2 inch below and it works great. I just build heisenbeans rdwc system and it is awesome. Thanks heisenbeans for all your help. He has a video out that steps you through the process completely .

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
Just saw you are in flood and drain. I would do as described by green256. I believe you won't have any issues with the rockwool in flood and drain. Just put a couple inches of hydroton in the pit and place the plant in and backfill the pot. You will haveve to figure out how many times to flood the table to get everything going correctly. I'm sure someone has a video on this. Good luck.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Thanks for the replys fellas. I set up a fog cloner yesterday to test. I would rather have nothing on the roots then just food as normal. Seed I guess would need to be in a cube.

Greenthumbskunk

PICK YOUR OWN
I start in root riots or RW seed or cuttings.
What is your protocol when transferring to hydroton pot and flood and drain table.
Do you put the cube so it is flush with th top of hydroton and how far up do you flood the cube? Maybe you hand water for a bit?
I can see a problem of getting the cube too wet
Anyhow what's your go to?

The way I do it with cubes is wait till their is roots and then spread evenly a shallow layer of hydroton on the bottom of the net cup. I then couple times a day give it a drink to make sure it's getting plenty of water/nutes until the roots grow down to the water.

I've sprouted in dirt in a foam cup and done the same. Worked like a charm but I didn't flood the dirt with water just enough to have it moist cause I didn't want to wash any dirt into the water.

If straight out of the aero cloner then depends on root size I do the same as above or if lots of long roots I put the roots first down into and through the net pot slits. I then gently place hydroton around and on the roots with the stem about 1/2" from bottom of cup. Then just keep filling it up until it's level full or up to the first set of leaves.

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
Thanks. I'm hoping the fog cloner works. She is running a little warm. 83 so I have a timer on it 15 on 45 off. I'm not to worried about the cutting temp as they are 6" above the water/fogger, more the nastys that are going to start growing in the water. I'm using RO mixed with some well water. My well is like 600ppm:poop: They are standing nice.
I tried a pump and mister before and had so so luck.
Anyone ever use a bit of worm compost tee in the cloner?

Turpman

PICK YOUR OWN
I think it's mostly sodium. Live in a low area. I wish I had decent water for plants. No watering anything hear. RO brings it down to 50-60.