To jar or not to jar..

Not Given

Has chucked
I just dried my harvest, stems were snappy and the buds easily break off. I smoked a bowl and it's killer and burns fine. So I put some in my grinder and it completely gummed it up. Is that a sign it's not ready for jarring or will a slow cure fix it and make it grindable?

F series

Insanely Active Member

Jar with one of these
If over 64 humidity leave top off for an hour put on for an hour if still over 64 repeat.

I personally hang my harvest for 2 weeks. Then trim and not have to worry about shit.

Sadly, most people actually don't give a shit about curing. So if you're selling or donating just hang it for 2 weeks and don't worry about humidity and curing

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
What they said - BUT, I have had crosses that were just sticky rather than crunchy when fully cured and there isn't much you can do about it except try the lower% rH packs.

But that's a good thing. Those are usually more resinous and less kief-y. Different high, but a good one. I set those aside as bowl weed. They tend to get packed too tight in a joint. Also great for pressing or alcohol wash if you want dabs, but not as good for bubble hash or dry sift.

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
What they said - BUT, I have had crosses that were just sticky rather than crunchy when fully cured and there isn't much you can do about it except try the lower% rH packs.

But that's a good thing. Those are usually more resinous and less kief-y. Different high, but a good one. I set those aside as bowl weed. They tend to get packed too tight in a joint. Also great for pressing or alcohol wash if you want dabs, but not as good for bubble hash or dry sift.
Is there a "feel" in the resin itself that can be an indicator? I ask because I have two different girls on their way to the finish line and when I fondle the lower larf to smell, one feels greasy while the other feels sandy when rubbing between my fingers.

Superstar!

Not Given

Has chucked
thanks for responding @F series @TreeFarmerCharlie @H.A.F.

I have a collection of hygrometers and they are not accurate, but I have them mentally calibrated. This plant hung 11 days, next time I think i may need to go longer? I kinda want to get the dry and cure right so I know how to do it, but im afraid I may need more days hanging. it seems stabilized in the jar around 56-58% RH
I have heard its better to wait till the cure was finished before using humidity packs? Im still trying to figure that out.
this is some sticky bud, So I don't want to ruin it, but I'd like it to not clog the grinder.

Right now the inside jar is 64F 58% it has been in the jar for just 24 hours.

Last edited:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Is there a "feel" in the resin itself that can be an indicator? I ask because I have two different girls on their way to the finish line and when I fondle the lower larf to smell, one feels greasy while the other feels sandy when rubbing between my fingers.

Superstar!
I only base that on after they are dry, or after I think they are dry.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I have heard its better to wait till the cure was finished before using humidity packs? Im still trying to figure that out.
I would think the opposite. I have heard people complaining that the rH packs rob terpenes - I call bullshit - grow better weed...
I think during the initial cure when you aren't positive of their condition would be the best time to use the rH packs. Sometimes they feel dry on the outside, but once jarred the inside-the-bud moisture evens out in the jar and everything feels moist again until after you burp it. The rH packs should preent that from going too far in either direction.

After they are cured then I could see removing the packs, but that would depend on the environment. If everyn time you open the jar it gets a blast of 98%rH air, you might want to keep it in.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I have heard its better to wait till the cure was finished before using humidity packs?
Some people have claimed that putting Boveda packs into a jar too early causes terpene loss and that is why Boveda has started their whole BS "Terpene Shield" marketing campaign claiming their packs actually keep the terpenes in place. I've personally never noticed any terpene loss from using Boveda or Integra Boost packs but I use Integra Boost because they last longer, cost less, and they don't try to fool their customers with bullshit marketing like that.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Some people have claimed that putting Boveda packs into a jar too early causes terpene loss and that is why Boveda has started their whole BS "Terpene Shield" marketing campaign claiming their packs actually keep the terpenes in place. I've personally never noticed any terpene loss from using Boveda or Integra Boost packs but I use Integra Boost because they last longer, cost less, and they don't try to fool their customers with bullshit marketing like that.
I like the smoother packs too. I thinkn the old-grocery-sack feel the boveda packs get after a while generated the terpene loss bs. You can feel trich's sticking to it.

F series

Insanely Active Member
thanks for responding @F series @TreeFarmerCharlie @H.A.F.

I have a collection of hygrometers and they are not accurate, but I have them mentally calibrated. This plant hung 11 days, next time I think i may need to go longer? I kinda want to get the dry and cure right so I know how to do it, but im afraid I may need more days hanging. it seems stabilized in the jar around 56-58% RH
this is some sticky bud, So I don't want to ruin it, but I'd like it to not clog the grinder.

Right now the inside jar is 64F 58% it has been in the jar for just 24 hours.
That's perfect, leave it in there undisturbed.
No reason to burp now

VAHomegrown

I do notice a change in taste when using Bovida packs. I cannot put my finger on the associated taste but it's noticeable if you use them often. Someone mentioned a slight "teriyaki" taste one time and that sounded about right.

Not Given

Has chucked
I do notice a change in taste when using Bovida packs. I cannot put my finger on the associated taste but it's noticeable if you use them often. Someone mentioned a slight "teriyaki" taste one time and that sounded about right.
So when do you add boveda?

VAHomegrown

I add Bovida 62% packets to the curing jars. I try and remove them once It starts to stabilize humidity. So I use them for maybe 20-30 days max after drying.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I would recommend trying Integra Boost packs. Anytime I’ve heard anyone say they’ve noticed terp loss, or flavor changes, it has been with Boveda packs. Integra Boost packs cost less, last longer, and they don’t get hard like Boveda packs when they get depleted which probably means they don’t have salts in them like Boveda does. I put them in the jars and leave them there until the jar is emptied. I’ve had some jars sealed up with them for over a year and the flower still tastes and smells great when it’s opened.

VAHomegrown

I would recommend trying Integra Boost packs. Anytime I’ve heard anyone say they’ve noticed terp loss, or flavor changes, it has been with Boveda packs. Integra Boost packs cost less, last longer, and they don’t get hard like Boveda packs when they get depleted which probably means they don’t have salts in them like Boveda does. I put them in the jars and leave them there until the jar is emptied. I’ve had some jars sealed up with them for over a year and the flower still tastes and smells great when it’s opened.
I will definetly check out the Integra Boost packs. I will be glad to try something other than Bovida, which is all I've ever used. Lol back in the 90s it was paper towel and orange peels to control humidy!