To flush dwc or not to flush ?

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Try for yourself and make the decision. I ammend so it's straight water for me last 4 weeks anyway but if I ran hydro again I'd prob still flush the last few days atleast . Jmo

inthetrees

Ironically I just started watching that "Dude Grows" show on youtube a few days ago. They covered a paper that Ed R. released on statements regarding flushing. Pretty interesting viewpoints honestly. Has made me reconsider my methods. I had planned to only do a 48 hour flushing in my UC anyways. This episode solidified my decision.

Check it out... around 12:30 in...

In my dwc....I slowly lower the PPM's in that final week period. Start the week off normal and lower and lower as the days go. Right around harvest my ppms are around 200-400 but thats also coming down from 1400-1700 the previous weeks.

inthetrees

I've used 5 gal DWC buckets for a decade at least. In my experience, no flush = weed that won't burn. I drain, then use pure water the last 7 days at least to get a great burn and white ash.

If others disagree, that's fine.
Interesting... Granted this is my first round in UC, but I've experienced the opposite in both soil and coco. For me personally the only time weed hasn't burned is when it didn't finish long enough or it wasn't dried enough/properly.

We use to pull double digits from our guerilla grows in the Okanagan back country... It was impossible to flush that many plants. Regardless that stuff would come out fine as well.

What is your process for flushing in DWC if you dont mind me asking?

-itt

angel4us

Super Active Member
Interesting... Granted this is my first round in UC, but I've experienced the opposite in both soil and coco. For me personally the only time weed hasn't burned is when it didn't finish long enough or it wasn't dried enough/properly.

We use to pull double digits from our guerilla grows in the Okanagan back country... It was impossible to flush that many plants. Regardless that stuff would come out fine as well.

What is your process for flushing in DWC if you dont mind me asking?

-itt
Swap out nutrient water for straight water- for last week -or two ...... that’s how I have done it in past

I AM

I use to soak my roots in clearex...for an hour. Then strict RO water for 2 weeks.

I could eat a nugg & it taste like a vegetable.
All my ash was a nice powder clean white.
& 'some' terps/flavins did POP in flavor.

As for throat burning an what not...it was smooth. I have burned a lot of dealer smoke...& have never found anything close to my personal best.

angel4us

Super Active Member
I use to soak my roots in clearex...for an hour. Then strict RO water for 2 weeks.

I could eat a nugg & it taste like a vegetable.
All my ash was a nice powder clean white.
& 'some' terps/flavins did POP in flavor.

As for throat burning an what not...it was smooth. I have burned a lot of dealer smoke...& have never found anything close to my personal best.
Are you talking dwc ?

inthetrees

I can't imagine my plants going 2 weeks or even a week for that matter at the end of flower with just straight RO. I think for my setup the tapering down the last week would be the only option aside from a hard 48 hour straight RO flush.

I just checked my morning numbers.. I'm just about to finish week 1 of flower and the girls are now eating through 90-100 ppm per 24 hours for the last 2 days.... 3 - 4 gallons of water per day now. Its insane. I keep jacking the ppms up with every system change trying to steer and my top offs are 200 ppm higher than my systems... I can't imagine how fast my plants would eat through their reserves if I just went straight water lol.

It's quite the controversial topic obviously... Even having looked at prior side by sides that have been done the users seem to mostly report that the finished product is the same. Plants obviously look different... Everyone's setup is different mind you.

Skunkle Justin

I’ve always flush with straight water in past with dwc ....
Usually a week or two....running a new to me strain now and was wondering when to start flush ? Possibly thinking when trichromes turn cloudy ??? Or when first amber ones start appearing???
My preferred flush technique: run the plants with full nutes until all the trichome are cloudy. I’m telling you for sure that you’re gonna get bigger, frostier buds if they aren’t starved of nutrients at the same point as they are supposed to be gaining the most mass and producing resin(week 5-8). Taper off with the nutrients as the demand diminishes or senescence starts kicking in. As soon as all the trichomes are cloudy, I flush the system clean. Some people believe that adding a carb and some calmag is beneficial, but I haven’t done a side-by-side to validate for myself. Run the flushed system until the very first Amber trichomes appear and then shock the shit out of them with ice and a defoliation of every remaining fan leaf. Then I cut the lights on them for 24-48 hours. Also, drop the RH and temps as low as you can. This always seems to make the plants spaz out and go terp crazy. Like to the point that my grow room will be so terpy it makes me nauseous. This is with HPS lights, so I don’t know how it works with LEDs yet.
What are your thoughts on this?

inthetrees

I've heard about the ice and extended dark.. I knew some old timer that swore that the best thing he did in late flower was kicking with buckets or pickin em up and dropping em along with dumping buckets of ice water into his soil and letting the ice melt on the soil surface. He grew wicked weed but also ate his dogs milk bone treats so idk what to think...

Even in soil I never truly "flushed" the plants by definition, I would just start watering straight tap with 10% - 15% runoff. With soil taking so long to leach nutrients at least the plants had something to feed off of in the last crucial few weeks.

That's what I was asking about in the other thread regarding using a carb/sugar additives in flower in a sterile UC reservoir. Does it increase quality or terps? or is it just there to feed a microbial herd that I don't allow to grow in the first place...

I've also seen quite a few different videos on how guys are saying to look at the state of the trichs on the inside of the bud not the outside to tell when to chop. Apparently by judging cloudy/amber trichs on the outside the bud isn't fully ripened and that huge last 2 week push is actually interpreted a week or two earlier than it should be. The example used was fruit. A peach can look ripe on the outside, but hard on the inside.

I'm going to take some buds apart once Im getting close and see for myself if there is that much of a variance in the trichs from inside and out. Oddly enough this never occurred for me to check before. I have friends with a large setup who always strip all their fans at 6 weeks (on an 8 week strain) and say that it helps with light penetration, cuts down on humidity issues, and assists speed up the flush. I'm going to try it out on half of one of my systems and see how one side does compared to the other. I'm growing from seed so its not a true comparison, but I'm interested to see how the plants react.

BREWTUS

Cheers
I taper my Ppm down the last 1-2 weeks(pending on maturity), then drain and add R/O water and florakleen the last 4-7 days.
I've also just straight up switched out (without tapering down)the solution with R/O and florakleen, and let that do its thing for atleast 4-7 days..
Most recently we just added florakleen with R/O the last 4 days, instead of just Flushing the whole thing, and then chopped. Different strokes for different folks I guess as the whole Flushing thing seems to be an ongoing debate.
I personally prefer the first method we've done the best but if you don't feel like it or can't go through a bunch of water(or have time constraints), those methods seemed fine too. IME..