Time for my annual butter run

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I tried something a little different this round. After letting the butter and water mixture cool and seperate for 24 hours, I pulled the butter off the top, remelted it, and added sunflower lecithin to help evenly blend any remaining water into the butter. I've heard there isn't much point in using lecithin with infused butter (or oil), since the cannabis oils blend with oil, but there is always some soggy butter where it sits on top of the water. Some of my butter usually has a thin soft layer where the bottom of the mold (where the text is on the butter sticks) from that little bit of water that is left, so I figures it was worth a shot, and I'm glad I did it. Look at how perfect these came out of the molds.

hJPIM2C.jpg

StonedAgeGrower

Thanks for sharing. Still trying to step my edibles up a notch.

How long do you simmer w the butter after the decarb? I've had some batches potent after a few hrs, but some that don't seem potent until almost 8hrs.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I bring mine up to just before a boil (around 210°) and then put it on simmer for 4 hours. I used to let it go a lot longer but that adds a lot of “green” plant flavor to the butter so I’ve settled on 4 hours. My butter usually comes out strong enough to where 1 cookie will make me feel good, and two will get me pretty baked. My wife eats less than half a cookie and it’s enough to make her feel good.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I tried something a little different this round. After letting the butter and water mixture cool and seperate for 24 hours, I pulled the butter off the top, remelted it, and added sunflower lecithin to help evenly blend any remaining water into the butter. I've heard there isn't much point in using lecithin with infused butter (or oil), since the cannabis oils blend with oil, but there is always some soggy butter where it sits on top of the water. Some of my butter usually has a thin soft layer where the bottom of the mold (where the text is on the butter sticks) from that little bit of water that is left, so I figures it was worth a shot, and I'm glad I did it. Look at how perfect these came out of the molds.

View attachment 79987
I’m pretty sure the lecithin is added to make the THC absorb faster in the bloodstream.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
One thing I see different is that I clarify my butter first. Different levels of butter-fat could be making the irregualrities since it will float within the butter as it cools.

I do the clarification easy though. As soon as the butter starts to boil you sift in about a tablespoon of corn starch per pound. stir it good, then as soon as it boils again you strain it. The corn stach absorbs the fat and clumps together so you can strain it.*

*great for making a roux or gravy at this point :)

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
I never way out the trim when I may this much, because I usually have a lot, and just over load the butter with it to make sure it’s nice and potent.
For anyone following along, I went way overboard with the flower this time. I’m sure the butter will be strong as hell but I lost a lot of finished product due to the plant matter absorbing so much of it. I usually lose about 10% - 20% of the butter I start with but I lost 35% this run (started with 8 pounds and wound up with 5.25 pounds).

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Rinse it with boiling water or toss it in and boil it for a minute then squeeze it out. The budder will float.
I squeezed as much as I could out of it but already tossed it. I used up a lot of trim that I really needed to use up, so it's not a huge deal to me, but it was a good lesson on how not to waste close to 3 pounds of butter :ROFLMAO:

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I squeezed as much as I could out of it but already tossed it. I used up a lot of trim that I really needed to use up, so it's not a huge deal to me, but it was a good lesson on how not to waste close to 3 pounds of butter :ROFLMAO:
If you have a big pot for noodles that has the strainer basket it's perfect. You can have the stuff in the basket or under it and use the basket as a press. Cool it and peel off the butter wafer :)