thrifty seed cracker

Stoned Cold Bulldog

I've got lots of older seeds and because i want to be ready to germ them by any means necessary i peeped the dude who made the $55 seed cracker. it was a good idea. Yet, i'm too poor to spend that type of loot so i figured out something to get a very small incremental adjustment of pressure. = a Micrometer. So, i didn;t make it myself but I thought of it myself and ordered it myself too rofl. ijs

please note i realize u can use all sorts of had tools to crack seeds.
the problem is they don't allow extremely small increments to express the force needed to crack a seed without the possibility of crushing the seed because our manual dexterity when it comes to fine motor skills is limited for most of us.

Attachments

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I've got lots of older seeds and because i want to be ready to germ them by any means necessary i peeped the dude who made the $55 seed cracker. it was a good idea. Yet, i'm too poor to spend that type of loot so i figured out something to get a very small incremental adjustment of pressure. = a Micrometer. So, i didn;t make it myself but I thought of it myself and ordered it myself too rofl. ijs

the problem is they don't allow extremely small increments to express the force needed to crack a seed without the possibility of crushing the seed because our manual dexterity when it comes to fine motor skills is limited for most of us.
If you want to get into the DIY aspect, and nut and bolt with a fine machine thread could probably be rigged into something. Just need a solid surface to tighten it to

Stoned Cold Bulldog

If you want to get into the DIY aspect, and nut and bolt with a fine machine thread could probably be rigged into something. Just need a solid surface to tighten it to
my solution is ready, no need to diy anything more. no way i can outdo a micrometer. btw the above i already own. thx anyway. your idea is much like how the seed cracker works that's 55$ and that's also why i knew i could figure out a thrifty solid option.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
my solution is ready, no need to diy anything more. no way i can outdo a micrometer. btw the above i already own. thx anyway. your idea is much like how the seed cracker works that's 55$ and that's also why i knew i could figure out a thrifty solid option.
Just for those that don't want to drop $$$ on a micrometer. I happen to have a collection of slide calipers, no micrometer :)

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
An old fashioned C-clamp would work (poorly) because of the coarse thread. That is why I mentioned machine-thread.
The micrometer pictured is basically a C-clamp in design. The finer adjustment and measurement markings being the difference.

So it's a great idea with lots of DIY potential. I think this falls more into the "repurposing" category - which is also good. I like multi-tools.

Big Perm

Budtender

That's awesome. An old mic is the perfect tool. There are micrometer holders, too. You might be able to diy one.

Stoned Cold Bulldog

the mic already has what's needed = fine adjustment for a small seed. KISS no rigging aside from choice of material to make the seed slip less. = t-shirt/felt etc. all free at ahome. and no added cost that's why it was a no brainer once i looked at the DYI dude sells for $50+