Three cotyledon

Fiddler's Green

Just a regular vato
Good evening everyone. I have a Bangin Ticket F2 from Dragon Flame Genetics that has 3 cotyledon and 3 first leaves.

The questions that popped into my head were:
Has anyone else experienced this?
How common is?
Was there anything different about the plant than its siblings (self topped/stunted growth/erratic growth pattern/etc)?

Any information and insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks again

pHup

Dihydrogen
Good evening everyone. I have a Bangin Ticket F2 from Dragon Flame Genetics that has 3 cotyledon and 3 first leaves.

The questions that popped into my head were:
Has anyone else experienced this?
How common is?
Was there anything different about the plant than its siblings (self topped/stunted growth/erratic growth pattern/etc)?

Any information and insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Whorled Phyllotaxy
I had one last year who was a happy bunny thru veg but was a boy after flip so chop chop. As the growth increases the less you notice the anomaly. Run it run it run it!!!!

Kushala Dora Farms

Tempest of Frosty Nugs
Potential to have 3 bud sites instead of 2 if the mutation continues throughout life. Ive only had this happen once turned out male. Used him for breeding.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Interesting, how come ?
Potential to have 3 bud sites instead of 2 if the mutation continues throughout life. Ive only had this happen once turned out male. Used him for breeding.
I have one limb of one 4-top that is whorled. If you have short stocky plants it can get cramped and crowded at the nodes. Might have to be creatively trimmed after harvest, or just put on a rack instead of hanging to make sure it doesn't mold.

Kushala Dora Farms

Tempest of Frosty Nugs
Ive also read that yeild usually stays the same by the mutation because the bud ends up more airy. But honestly i think more research is needed because it is pretty rare. Id say around 3% if that. Some strains have polyploidity in their genes though like the gorilla bubble that i had this happen with (the full triploid male) but ive had females get topped and make three branches from that so it must be in the genes of some strains. Hormones probably play a large part.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Ive also read that yeild usually stays the same by the mutation because the bud ends up more airy.
Definitely not airy - that would depend on the strain and it would have to be stretchy. I have a few weeks or so before chop on that one, and you can't really see much right now because it's so crowded. Manicured and dried it should be cool. I'll get pics.

KMOG

Always rockin’ at half mast
Ive also read that yeild usually stays the same by the mutation because the bud ends up more airy. But honestly i think more research is needed because it is pretty rare. Id say around 3% if that. Some strains have polyploidity in their genes though like the gorilla bubble that i had this happen with (the full triploid male) but ive had females get topped and make three branches from that so it must be in the genes of some strains. Hormones probably play a large part.
Ime they end up the same as any other plant. I’ve gotten several of these Over the years and they’re always cool to see pop. It’s a seed, so chances of it being dense or fluffy is all hidden in there until you grow it out. What I will say is despite the extra growth they yield same range as their normal siblings generally, they just grow in a cool triangle.

Opie1

Master Grower
Thank you everyone for the information and insight. I can't wait to see what comes from this.
The wait is over for mine-
C3B04564-C7BB-4CDD-A8D9-1AD5471B6FE3.jpeg
I was hoping it would continue on with the ‘tri’ stuff, but it just turned into a funky shaped leaf for now-
74A41E1C-CBB3-472F-97AE-7137659DACF6.jpeg
I had one a couple years ago that returned to looking normal, so I ended up topping it the first time, and one of the limbs ended up tipping itself the second time. So maybe the show ain’t over, lol

Boybelue

Super Active Member
Here's the male I had after I harvested him for pollen View attachment 57770
That’s cool, I’ve had several start off trifoliate but eventually go back to throwing opposing branches. I’ve seen more than I can count over the years but I honestly believe that is the first one I’ve seen mature like that. Did each of the branches continue on triploid also? That’s pretty rare not to grow out of it as it matures, really cool!

Kushala Dora Farms

Tempest of Frosty Nugs
That’s cool, I’ve had several start off trifoliate but eventually go back to throwing opposing branches. I’ve seen more than I can count over the years but I honestly believe that is the first one I’ve seen mature like that. Did each of the branches continue on triploid also? That’s pretty rare not to grow out of it as it matures, really cool!
It stayed like that throughout life once mature the nodes staggered though. If it shows it and it goes away that means there's polyploidity in the genes and has potential for one offspring to stay triploid definatley a recessive trait.
Screenshot_20180808-123223.pngScreenshot_20180711-123117.png

Oreguhnism

Really Active Member
If this was typed before sorry.....whorled phylotaxy is Not a phenotypical trait of polyploidy, generally, always exceptions.
Phylotaxy is a phenotypical trait of diploids and monoploids as well and polyploidy is a genetic trait, different than diploidy / monoploidy in phenotypes....
polyploids often have sterility issues, look into how watermelons or squash are bred for triploidy.....

It is cool and I see it with "afghan" populations the most, which probably includes hindu kush's, tajikistan, india and anywhere else I left out among the Western himalayas/pamir mts area of Cental Asia.
It almost always seems to come from a broad leaf type of population......

Last edited: