The Importance of Dark Cycles (Calvin-Benson-Bassham cycle)

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
From what I have understood about this topic, the "dark reaction" means that the reaction does not require light, but most people seem to make the incorrect assumption that it means the reaction only happens in absence of light.

J.James

Seed Slingin' Outlaw
Breeder
From what I have understood about this topic, the "dark reaction" means that the reaction does not require light, but most people seem to make the incorrect assumption that it means the reaction only happens in absence of light.
Great point @PuffTheMagic
Recent Studies show that at night plants can more efficiently produce and store malic acid. Without the absence of light malic acid is consumed faster then it can be produced and can hinder growth. There are a lot of studies still being done on this topic so as new information come available this thread will be updated. Still a lot we don't understand. This caught my attention because its not a dark dependent process but is just a lot more efficient if done without light present. Makes me wonder what other process are effected negatively by light

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I wonder then just how critical this dark period cycle is then to the whole process as I’ve done Autos on 24 hours before with solid results and numerous growers appear to run 24 hr veg with success also. Would be interesting to run simultaneous grows with both variables applied to perhaps see the difference. Surely someone’s already tried
This is what I was considering. With some ruderalis plants grew in areas that were always light out etc, and if autos would still prefer a longer dark period . I haven't personally had experience with them.

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
I vegged 22 and 2 for years and I noticed shorter stockier growth, which w certain strains actually helped in flower .
Is it stunted, or did it just stretch less. Talking about the hours of light a plant gets without any mention of PAR or DLI seems meaningless.

PuffTheMagic

Super Active Member
Great point @PuffTheMagic
Recent Studies show that at night plants can more efficiently produce and store malic acid. Without the absence of light malic acid is consumed faster then it can be produced and can hinder growth. There are a lot of studies still being done on this topic so as new information come available this thread will be updated. Still a lot we don't understand. This caught my attention because its not a dark dependent process but is just a lot more efficient if done without light present. Makes me wonder what other process are effected negatively by light
Super interesting. So an aloe vera foliar spray might help to supplement some of this malic acid.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Super interesting. So an aloe vera foliar spray might help to supplement some of this malic acid.
If there's not some wierd thing that can happen if there's too much...

I think it's much easier to try and keep the grow gentler in all aspects - temps, lights, nutes, whatever. The plant is going to do what it is going to do. The best product will come from the healthiest plant at the end - and the best genetics

If you find yourself having to add more stuff to your grow to compensate for other stuff you added to your grow, you are a hydro-store owners dream. :ROFLMAO: