The great american pheno hunt?

thenotsoesoteric

Shinobi of seeds
What do you fine folks think about something like this. Something simple along the lines of start in the spring once outdoor season starts so both indoor and outdoor growers get a go and basically everyone just shows off the year's seed pops.

No chosen plant or anything just pics showing full grow from seed to bud. The phenos with most likes get put in the voting poll, the rest of us keep growing, keep trying.

Only rules is all phenos in the hunt have to be seeds you popped this year, pics of stages of growth and a $3k entry fee... well maybe no entry fee 😂.

I'm sure prizes will not be an issue so we'll discuss that later. What else or how else could we make this a fun successful event?

Inputs? Cheers

thenotsoesoteric

Shinobi of seeds
Ill start a go fund me page for the entrance fee, but I'm down for that. 😎😎😎
Oh joy. Lol Contests are so fun. lol.
No yield etc just the prettiest damned most liked plants?
Limit or minimum requirements of beans to be popped?
No limits, just who ever happens to get the likes. Still not sure how to work it all out. This is just a brainstorming thread for the time being. Nothing carved in stone yet, just throwing out some ideas.

Jewels

Bon~Fire
So I am this breeder and I have some fantastic genetics that I really want to get out there. I am set up for business -I just need to create a little buzz around my product ,,,you know get people talking ,,,
see my goods,,, all I really need is an audience and a perceived need and I should be successful.

As an aspiring breeder I am going to make a certain number of seeds available for this contest.
As a gatekeeping device the entrance fee to this contest is using forum post count as currency. Every post is worth One credit. This will ensure that all beans shipped will be popped and finished. If you have a really scarce strain and you only want to put it in experienced hands; then price your beans at 500 posts. If you are oversupplied or just really just want to get your beans out there then price your packs at 20 posts. Wanna be a sly ass snake? Have your beans grown by private invitation.
This is amazingly acute target audience advertising. The product can speak for itself and be seen as superior to competitors.
Not only an inexpensive research tool; vendors can reap further benefits from this contest by using all compliments, comments, photos, reviews and awards as assets on their websites.

This is a clever advertising scheme because I am putting my advertising investment in the best hands.
I want to get my beans out there, to show the world that they are the best.

If my product has the stones, then people are going to see it, and react to it, and want to find out more about my wares.

The more beans I put up, the more exposure my venture gets.

Win win win.

Was hoping someone would do a chuck and send out beans to do a large scale pheno hunt of the same strain. Run and cull them hoping to find that next special elite cut. Then the top plant would be shared amongst the members who participated. Easier way of running 2-3k plants.

Just would have to find willing members of our community with space that are going to actually run the beans, willing to possibly make a $$$ donation for shipping etc., and a dedicated breeder/chucker willing to put the time in to see a project like this completed.

Our own version of a canna Co-op...

smokieokie

Insanely Active Member
Two ways can work at same time I think.
#1 Enter your own chucks and/or possibly share with some contestants. Keeping your own chucks to yourself lessens numbers of potential phenos found for your chucks. Keeping your own chucks could possibly be a good thing or not depending upon numbers said grower is able to run of said chuck.
#2 Contestants receive chucks from a single or up to *3 breeders* to hunt.
Rules could still be based on likes or whatever you guys think. Just putting out ideas.👍
* more or less breeders could be used. I was just thinking of simplicity.
Not saying I'm in, but how bout a 4/20ish start date? That way we can do the 2020 solo cup grow around August?

Last edited:

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Two ways can work at same time I think.
#1 Enter your own chucks and/or possibly share with some contestants. Keeping your own chucks to yourself lessens numbers of potential phenos found for your chucks. Keeping your own chucks could possibly be a good thing or not depending upon numbers said grower is able to run of said chuck.
#2 Contestants receive chucks from a single or up to *3 breeders* to hunt.
Rules could still be based on likes or whatever you guys think. Just putting out ideas.👍
* more or less breeders could be used. I was just thinking of simplicity.
Not saying I'm in, but how bout a 4/20ish start date? That way we can do the 2020 solo cup grow around August?
Don’t see why we would have to wait for the solo cup comp. can toss a few household led bulbs over a little basterd whenever 😆

Stoned Cold Bulldog

I'VE HEARD SOME COOL IDEAS, the more inclusive the better imho piggy backing on the idea of your own pollen chucks as well as those from others too.

Only issue is always will those who get them do as they say and run those beans... for so many years and still in 2019 so many folks flat out didn't come through because they were nefarious assholes/flakes.
when i thought abut the standard testers threads i saw from overgrow, to planet ganja, thcfarmer, icmag, canna cabana, cannetics and the rest i have been a member of that shit pissed me off frfr. worst it was usually someone else's chuck. I tried to ask folks to run a couple chucks i made in trade along with other gear. only 1 person tried to run them smdh. The idea about post counts to assure they will do it is bullshit because all the members i used to see in tester threads had plenty of post counts and were known on the site.

I sincerely hope all here grow that dank and give the breeder their honest feedback.
as for my personal chucks. I'll test/grow them in various ways = coco coir, pro mix, soil, hempy and running them natural, fimmed and topped as well as SOG and standard mature plants i will only note stem flexibility suited for scrog as I'm not a scrog dude and never plant to grow that way. too much work and u can't just break down in a hurry in 911 situations. ijs
do i plan to allow others to run them especially hydro folks ? well yes, so their feedback can be documented and supplement the grow methods i have not tested personally.
so my idea is to make sure that most basic ways we grow are suitable for any gear i might offer.

now here's the kicker. when will all of the above come into being ? the answer is in the form of a question. what do you get when you combine an elephant and a telephone ?
feel free to answer and if you get it right I'll certainly be shocked but will tell lol.