The cure.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I tried ordering some of those small hygrometers from Amazon twice. Anything coming from China isn't like to come any time soon. Neither order has arrived.

I'm trying to cure my first grow and I'm winging it.
I waited too long myself. The minis had bad reviews I should have just bought a boveda to calibrate them and went from there. Winging it can be tough the first few times. Just pay attention to if the buds are sticking together when rolled in the jar, if so give them a long burp and shuffle. Maybe a few here and there instead of one long one. A big part is deciding when to jar. I've had it both ways. You cant come back to a cure from too dry but too wet you can mold your herb. Balance young grasshopper.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
If they smell like hay especially after a few days they need to be taken out to air if real wet or just more burp action.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
The Spider-Man is having me for dinner tonight
Cobweb? I'm confused? I ate spiderman myself. . Baldmountain you did better than me. Left for a few days and the temps went up and down and the humidity spiked. Should have set the central air on some kind of permanent. Cant rely on the damn weather man. Chose the perfect days to cut and they turned out to be the worst. Pretty sure the air got stagnant when it got warmer than the heat setting. This time I ran the exhaust lighter to encourage a slower dry as I been reading up on. Think I ran it too light as well. Needless to say I fucked up and chucked another harvest. Worst feeling. Especially when backup is the next harvest. Thankfully I cut the majority of larf and small stuff off prior. Gonna have to be stingy with the gummies.

KMOG

Always rockin’ at half mast
Cobweb? I'm confused? I ate spiderman myself. . Baldmountain you did better than me. Left for a few days and the temps went up and down and the humidity spiked. Should have set the central air on some kind of permanent. Cant rely on the damn weather man. Chose the perfect days to cut and they turned out to be the worst. Pretty sure the air got stagnant when it got warmer than the heat setting. This time I ran the exhaust lighter to encourage a slower dry as I been reading up on. Think I ran it too light as well. Needless to say I fucked up and chucked another harvest. Worst feeling. Especially when backup is the next harvest. Thankfully I cut the majority of larf and small stuff off prior. Gonna have to be stingy with the gummies.
Show me show me show me how you do that trick ....

The cure 😅

F series

Insanely Active Member
I used to hold my buds at 62-64, they actually cured. They got dark as fuck.

It was real bitch for me because i was super uptight about it. I wouldn't risk over drying so I jar them early and they req'd constant attention.

Now, I dry them til they're dry (I don't burp them unless I want to smell them)
Bag up the plant.
Trim when I get to it.
Result is sticky, smelly buds. Stay bright green though, which I think people like to see.

Kingrow1 would be so proud of me LMFAO

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I used to hold my buds at 62-64, they actually cured. They got dark as fuck.

It was real bitch for me because i was super uptight about it. I wouldn't risk over drying so I jar them early and they req'd constant attention.

Now, I dry them til they're dry (I don't burp them unless I want to smell them)
Bag up the plant.
Trim when I get to it.
Result is sticky, smelly buds. Stay bright green though, which I think people like to see.

Kingrow1 would be so proud of me LMFAO
How tasty are they though. Flavor change and development can be huge in these stages. Had some shit that smelt like diesel and dog farts. Smelt like cheese and tasted like sugared milk by the time it finished. Still working on getting the process dialed in. I understand the fear though. I lost 1 harvest during a grow and 1 after due to mold. My whole life fits in a suv for the most part so I domt have as much control over things as I would like to. Have to be able to set up, cut, pack up and roll to the next job. Different environments make such a huge difference on ever aspect of a grow.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Weight is my key.

I wash my flowers with a peroxide solution after harvest just to get any gnat-shit off, and as a preventative against mold.

I have to hang them in front of a fan to dry back out, so knowing the "pre-wash" weight is key to not putting it away damp.

I monitor that weight as they dry. We all know you get about 20-22% of your wet weight as a final tally. I use that % to know when to jar it.

1586254041417.png
Here's the three little plants I just took down.
After 3-4 days I'll weigh the whole mess and see where it's at. Once it gets to that 25% weight I buck-n-jar it with 62% packs.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Weight is my key.

I wash my flowers with a peroxide solution after harvest just to get any gnat-shit off, and as a preventative against mold.

I have to hang them in front of a fan to dry back out, so knowing the "pre-wash" weight is key to not putting it away damp.

I monitor that weight as they dry. We all know you get about 20-22% of your wet weight as a final tally. I use that % to know when to jar it.

View attachment 55470
Here's the three little plants I just took down.
After 3-4 days I'll weigh the whole mess and see where it's at. Once it gets to that 25% weight I buck-n-jar it with 62% packs.
Wow u jar when u hit a certain number? That's awesome , always used the feel and snap method lol.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Wow u jar when u hit a certain number? That's awesome , always used the feel and snap method lol.
I'll check that on the fatter tops, just because they dry slower, but getting it close enough to the final weight without going under keeps them from over-drying.

At first I don't just burp. I'll empty each jar and make sure it isn't stuck together creating hot-spots. I'll also re-weigh it after it airs a little bit before I re-jar it.

At about the time they stop losing weight and sticking together, they are at 62%. Good for longer term storage with weekly burps for a bit.

F series

Insanely Active Member
How tasty are they though. Flavor change and development can be huge in these stages. Had some shit that smelt like diesel and dog farts. Smelt like cheese and tasted like sugared milk by the time it finished. Still working on getting the process dialed in. I understand the fear though. I lost 1 harvest during a grow and 1 after due to mold. My whole life fits in a suv for the most part so I domt have as much control over things as I would like to. Have to be able to set up, cut, pack up and roll to the next job. Different environments make such a huge difference on ever aspect of a grow.
I don't I hear my shit is bomb as fuck, and longer it sits, better is gets.
I recently got rid of some 10 month cured weed. Best I think I grew. Nugs were biggest fan or sure. People love all my shit, maybe they lie idk I doubt it though lol

KMOG

Always rockin’ at half mast
So where I live is 65% humidity in the house. So my buds sort of cure while they’re hanging. I can jar up to two months after I chop without the buds being crispy, probably longer just never tried it, lol 😝

F series

Insanely Active Member
I don't I hear my shit is bomb as fuck, and longer it sits, better is gets.
I recently got rid of some 10 month cured weed. Best I think I grew. Nugs were biggest fan or sure. People love all my shit, maybe they lie idk I doubt it though lol
Nugs were biggest for sure.

TheSpaceFarm

DopeCaveDave
Here’s my take on the whole thing and this is all just what I’ve learned by doing it and fucking up countless times. The dry is much more important than the cure. I haven’t really noticed much, if any, difference between 2weeks in the jar and 8 weeks. You gotta make sure your shit is dry before it goes in jars or you’re gonna get hay. For a long time I used hygrometers and tried to get them to read around 60% in the jars. That’s way too wet. I read someone earlier say something like 70% and I just laughed. From all of my experience, you want it more dry than people will tell you. I used to have bomb ass weed never using any hygrometers or even thinking about moisture content. I would hang till nugs pop right off, put them in jars and be done with it. Always fire. Then I moved to Colorado, it’s dry as fuck here and I had a hard time drying for the last few years until recently. I was using hygrometers in the jars and always jarring too wet, because the hygrometer said 60% or whatever and against my instincts I was listening to technology instead of my own senses. I was so pissed for so long because it was like I regressed, and went from smoking fire to smoking hay. Well the last few runs I decided to go back to how I was doing it before I moved, when I had good weed, and now I have good weed again. Just out of curiosity I popped a hygrometer in the second to last batch after it had been in the jars for a few days, smelling dank as fuck. 36% in that bitch. and it has the perfect texture, still sticky, super stank ass, dank nugs that make you go “wow”. Same with this latest run. 40%. Stank as fuck. Maybe 60% works for some of these guys and they can magically cure the hay smell away but as far as I’m concerned that’s bullshit. Dry your weed right and you’ll have good weed.