The cure.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
So how do you get your good cure? Mini hygrometers seem bunk from all the reviews. Any good ones or favorites? When you burp do you shuffle your nugs around in your jar. I never see this mentioned. All tips and methods welcome. Thanks ladies and gents

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I hang as long as I can, happy with 5 days but 8,9,10 are better. It depends on time of year for me, I get long hang times when it's colder.
Final trim and jar it. I have a mini hygometer in the jars and I like to see 75% to 85% initially, more is no problem but less is.
Then burp at least once a day. I move the buds around w/every burp.
The jar should always be about 1/2 air.
When it gets to 62% I add a boveda or two depending on jar size.
Those hygrometers can be checked with a boveda. There is no adjustment on the digital ones, but the silver dollar sized Brass ones have an adjusting screw that will fine tune/ tension the spring.
Out of 20 digitals, 16 were spot on, the other 4 ranged from 2% high to 2% low and I simply marked them +1 +2 etc.
A couple of dabs of two part epoxy that comes as a stick, hold either hygrom to the jar.

Artisan_tek

Insanely Active Member
after about 20 days in the jar it’s perfect for me

I’ve never noticed a huge difference in long term curing except the buds being darker in color and feel a lot more dry and not as sticky and gooey

The double cookies I’m smoking on right now was harvested in October of last year and it still tastes and hits great But I deff prefere fresher buds over something that’s been sitting in the jars for 3 plus months

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
I hang as long as I can, happy with 5 days but 8,9,10 are better. It depends on time of year for me, I get long hang times when it's colder.
Final trim and jar it. I have a mini hygometer in the jars and I like to see 75% to 85% initially, more is no problem but less is.
Then burp at least once a day. I move the buds around w/every burp.
The jar should always be about 1/2 air.
When it gets to 62% I add a boveda or two depending on jar size.
Those hygrometers can be checked with a boveda. There is no adjustment on the digital ones, but the silver dollar sized Brass ones have an adjusting screw that will fine tune/ tension the spring.
Out of 20 digitals, 16 were spot on, the other 4 ranged from 2% high to 2% low and I simply marked them +1 +2 etc.
A couple of dabs of two part epoxy that comes as a stick, hold either hygrom to the jar.
You remember the specific ones you use?

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
You remember the specific ones you use?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-Analog-Hygrometer-Cigar-Tobacco-Humidity-Gauge-Glass-Lens-For-Humidors/401407848830?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160727114228&meid=49354bb0a2c142a3bafa60033d30ab40&pid=100290&rk=1&rkt=4&mehot=pp&sd=401407848830&itm=401407848830&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

The digital ones were a 20 pack when I got them. They are easier to read. The Brass ones all needed to get an initial adjustment, then spot on. Never needs batteries either.

JohnFonda

Tegrity Greenthumb
Refund this thread this is more appropriate place. Anyone cure in half gallon jars or anything larger than the quarts. Not sure if they are too dense for traditional burping.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
I tried ordering some of those small hygrometers from Amazon twice. Anything coming from China isn't like to come any time soon. Neither order has arrived.

I'm trying to cure my first grow and I'm winging it.

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I tried ordering some of those small hygrometers from Amazon twice. Anything coming from China isn't like to come any time soon. Neither order has arrived.

I'm trying to cure my first grow and I'm winging it.
Home depot has some $2 combo hygrometer/themometer. It is helpful if you have a known hygrometer to set it by. Simple turn of the spring. you'll need a big enough container for the piece to fit in.

There are still mini hygrometers on Ebay also.

mini's

Armdog

RDWC GROWER
i grabbed a 4 or 5 pack of mini's off amazon for $12 bucks they work great and really help to get that perfect 60-62% cure
I put mine in a 5 gallon bucket with gamma lids , with 62% boveda packs. My 5 gallon buckets have check valves one in , one out. I hook up my air pump on a timer for on 10 minutes twice a day till I hit 62%. Then I shut off the air pumps. I also have a wireless hydrometer that I use to monitor. I then open the lid once Every 2 to 3 days.62% is the sweet zone for cure. Works great.