Supplementing COB’s with LED strips

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Hey guys looking for a bit of help and advice. I‘m currently running a 2x CXB3590 fixture (not DIY) in a 2x4 flower tent, and was wondering about supplementing with some LED strips and doing a DIY build.

First, is there any need to supplement? Are the 2 COB’s “good enough” for my space? The efficiency cost isnt super important to me, this is more of a, will adding more LED’s be beneficial, exercise.

My COB’s are 3500k temp, and I’m thinking of adding 2ft strips @ 3000k. If this is a good plan, about how many strips do you think i’d need for better coverage?

MtRainDog

Blümen Meister
Ok screw it, I'm the kinda person that's always gotta have a project, I'm doing this :)

My goal will be to create two fixtures, one for flowering and one for vegging. The flowering fixture will be to supplement the two existing COB's or serve as a complete flowering solution by itself.

The flowering fixture will need to fit into a 2x4 space, and the veg fixture into a 2x2 space.

Flowering fixture:

I'm looking at going with 12 strips of Samsung or Bridgelux, using probably a HLG-240 driver. For color temp, I'd like to go with a mix of 2700k and 3000k to supplement the 3500K COBs. The 2700/3000k combo should also work well on it's own for flowering without the COBs. I like having options :)

Vegging fixture:

For this one I can probably get by with a lot less. I'm thinking 4-6 strips, and going with a mix of 3500k and 5000K. Kinda need some suggestions with these color temps for vegging.

Anywho, I'll start posting my progress and updates here. Don't expect a ton of updates soon, this will likely be a long slog since I already have lighting, and this is just a project to keep my A.D.D. ass busy.