Storing seeds?

Yes a plastic box eg. is good for storage in the fridge, got the idea myself from a friend whome worked at a large greenhouse company, they had an old fridge for all their seeds and clones, mind you no mj plants that is...

I AM

How long can the fridge keep the seed viable. I thought my 5yr old seeds where gold...not golddust.

At this rate ill have to refresh my seed stock every 3yrs...is that right??!

Chuck on.

Bustenbeans

Smoke pot, eat twat and smile alot
How long can the fridge keep the seed viable. I thought my 5yr old seeds where gold...not golddust.

At this rate ill have to refresh my seed stock every 3yrs...is that right??!

Chuck on.
I need to know also 😂 I just started collecting and if that's the case I'd switch up what I'm doing!

avr1

I vacuum seal and throw in the freezer.
I had concerns that the lack of oxygen may kill them so last winter I opened a bag that had been vac sealed and frozen for 3 1/2 years and they all germed.
I only do this for seeds that I want but don't plan on using in the near term (years).

Also use the vacum bags for what I throw in the refridg for all others, but only do a partial vac, then seal

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
Not sure where to put this but this seems ok. Does anyone know where to find those small coin sized seed containers? :) Thanks!!

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I haven’t been able to find those but I love these and they are dirt cheap. These are pretty small ones that I use for 10 seeds but they have a ton of different sizes available.

View attachment 63826
And a trick I picked up from getting some of @Schwaggy P 's seeds was to bust open a silica gel pack and toss a bead or two in the tube with the seeds. Can't hurt.

I don't vacuum seal, but I have them in a Pelican Case (thick black plastic, air-tight) that has a large (50g) desiccant pack in it.
Each opened pack of seeds gets a smaller silica pack put in it as well.

Stored in a drawer in the fridge.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Probably depends on the maximum time before you plan on using them . I’ve had seeds in a matchbox I just threw in my sock drawer and used a decade later and from memory 90% of them popped so if you think you’ll use them in the next couple years as long as it’s a cool dry place I wouldn’t bother going too extreme . Like everything though everyone will do what works for them.

Ozjet68

Insanely Active Member
Not sure where to put this but this seems ok. Does anyone know where to find those small coin sized seed containers? :) Thanks!!
You might find something very similar at a Taylor’s shop or sewing shop. They have those small compact containers for buttons and similar type gear. A friend sent me a heap for seed storage .

I AM

Probably depends on the maximum time before you plan on using them . I’ve had seeds in a matchbox I just threw in my sock drawer and used a decade later and from memory 90% of them popped so if you think you’ll use them in the next couple years as long as it’s a cool dry place I wouldn’t bother going too extreme . Like everything though everyone will do what works for them.
A decade later!!? wow...:censored:. I was thinking, I have seen breeder selling the same strains for about 20+ yrs. I was not thinking that they had a "working cycle of refreshing vitality" every 3-5 years or more. That changes my point of view BIG TIME. I was at Seedbay yesterday...(just lurking)...they still have Rez SSSDH packs left but they label them germination unknown. Last year-- I almost bought a pack of seeds a cali hobbyist had stashed since'86. :oops:.

Anyway, you can use the sku number etched? In those little plastic rounds to find the manufacturer. They keep the seeds coating nice & pretty.

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Thanks!! I will scope it out. Was googling but can’t hit those key words I guess haha
I just looked at the info on one of my GPS containers and they are "LACONS 120300". Here's a source for them, but they don't come with the foam inserts. The foam inserts are further down in the "related items" section on the page.

Hust17

PICK YOUR OWN
I just looked at the info on one of my GPS containers and they are "LACONS 120300". Here's a source for them, but they don't come with the foam inserts. The foam inserts are further down in the "related items" section on the page.

Thanks!!! I have a name now :D Really appreciate it! Gotta source less than 1000 now hahaha