stinging nettles good or bad idea?

bill203

20200225_154635[1].jpg20200225_153700[1].jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey folks. So ive got these nettles and this brute upfront popping up at the back of the greenhouse at work right next to the co2 pipe you see in the 2nd picture. . i had a look online and see nettle tea is mostly a human thing but found 1 or 2 pages about it being used as organic fert. decent nitrogen. but for in a soil mix dried out would this be any benefit as a bug repellent?. these things sting like a pellet gun at blank range 😫

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
View attachment 50829View attachment 50830
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey folks. So ive got these nettles and this brute upfront popping up at the back of the greenhouse at work right next to the co2 pipe you see in the 2nd picture. . i had a look online and see nettle tea is mostly a human thing but found 1 or 2 pages about it being used as organic fert. decent nitrogen. but for in a soil mix dried out would this be any benefit as a bug repellent?. these things sting like a pellet gun at blank range 😫
So that is a canada thistle weed not a stinging nettle

Canada Thistle
1582778900732.png

Stinging nettle
1582779007989.png

Last edited:

bill203

Anytime man sorry it was short worded lol but plants are kinda my thing I’ve made a living off regular and exotic plants both house and garden plants my entire life lol
no worries man appreciate the info. and thats amazing to hear i could do with getting a good botany book myself. i can spot a piccolo tomato plant a mile away tho :LOL:

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
Only have to grow them once. The next season you just wait on them to pop up randomly and start training them :)
I till every spring and grow a pretty extensive food garden so i like organized rows going to try corn this year now that i removed a tree and will have better sunlight in that spot

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I till every spring and grow a pretty extensive food garden so i like organized rows going to try corn this year now that i removed a tree and will have better sunlight in that spot
Till all you want. You'll have some "volunteers" pop up, and I'll bet you a dollar they'll be the cherries :)

You can always put them in a pot or move them after they pop up.

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
Till all you want. You'll have some "volunteers" pop up, and I'll bet you a dollar they'll be the cherries :)

You can always put them in a pot or move them after they pop up.
oh yea lol lots pop up but im pretty vigilant at weeding the beds and if it aint where i planted it its a weed haha

Evergreengardener

Agronomist,
It's an Amish heirloom from my area. best tasting tomato I have ever had. I have 2 big plants of it I am growing inside.

damn i suprise myself brandywine are amish heirlooms :cool:

Vee

Ancient Member
View attachment 50829View attachment 50830

Stinging nettles I use for (N) tea for plants in early veg
avoid the pregnant ones like above tho also a good source of (P) and (K) if no comfrey
those other thistles I know Not!

good luck