Squirrel turned Guerrilla

SecretSquirrel

Tree Enthusiast
Unforeseen circumstances have forced a longer wait on the housing situation. While the Sciuridae family is now the proud owners of a small chunk of the woods we can not afford to build a nest on it yet. So what is a squirrel to do but take his nuts to the woods. Running out of time. I know you guy love telling people what to do so lets get this thread rolling.
Budget = slim to none ( $100-200)
Terrain = woods, pastures, hills, valleys, small pond, and spring running through the woods lots of space no neighbors
Access = Once a week for now, over 1hr away
Genetics = fem BOO, BBnC, ECSD about 2 each and a hand full of regs
still in hiding hence the name of the thread thinking about just digging some holes puttin in some FFOF and HF and calling it a day

Erick31876

Solo cup champion 2019
I migjt end up being in a similar situation eventually due to being out of work for a couple months. Im getting caught up but my landlord is a greedy cunt. Worked out an arrangement with hwr but i dont trust her at all. So um freaking out over my garden. Only time will tell. Im looking forward to seeing updates. If there is anything i can do to help , let me know

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Unforeseen circumstances have forced a longer wait on the housing situation. While the Sciuridae family is now the proud owners of a small chunk of the woods we can not afford to build a nest on it yet. So what is a squirrel to do but take his nuts to the woods. Running out of time. I know you guy love telling people what to do so lets get this thread rolling.
Budget = slim to none ( $100-200)
Terrain = woods, pastures, hills, valleys, small pond, and spring running through the woods lots of space no neighbors
Access = Once a week for now, over 1hr away
Genetics = fem BOO, BBnC, ECSD about 2 each and a hand full of regs
still in hiding hence the name of the thread thinking about just digging some holes puttin in some FFOF and HF and calling it a day
I am sure @stiickygreen would help with some advise. He has extensive outdoor experience.I had such bad experience with outdoor when i first started growing that i was glad to get inside were i could control things better.

TerpyTyrone

LED Recruiter
I will use sevin. Its a flower, vegetable pesticide. I use it early on to control little critters. I dug a hole and put in 12-12-12 npk general fertilizer, happy frog soil conditioner, then a bag of steer manure, then a layer of outdoor potting soil MG, then some very old well rotated vegetation compost.
I'm doing the layering method by my Rosenthal this year. The hot stuff on bottom to let it summer. It will give the roots a chance to gain strength and the soil to cure before the rootball ever gets close to it.
My spot,isnt ideal and its not too guerilla but thats the first of a few. Each spot will have its drawbacks. Be it adequate Sun, neighbors, water, too much water, strains that arent meant for certain climates. I learned alot last year. Mostly. K.I.S.S. keep it simple STONER

Highsince76

Super Active Member
Like Heathenraider suggested, chickenwire or some kind of caging is a very good idea. If not, I know I wouldn't use FFOF soil. Animals are attracted to it. I found out the hard way. All of them were completely dug up and baked in the sun.
I knew all soils containing bloodmeal is a no no. Ocean forest uses guano and worm castings but doesn't mention bloodmeal, so I thought it would work. It didn't make it three nights.

I have had some luck with uncaged plants in native soil make it though.

D

Deleted member 60

Congrats on the land purchase. Definitely a huge step up.

I did an absentee gig for the first 2 years we owned this property. Digging here in the Rockies can be....um... rocky....LOL.....so I went the planter route.....BIG planters cus I had no idea how long a watering would last/etc. in this climate (warm/dry).

I start inside. When I go out I give them 3-4 days in a partially shady area to adapt to the sunlight/intensity.
Cages are a good idea. If you live where it hails.....a bonnet/screening on top may be a good idea as well. Deer and hail will end your show. Never had a problem with critters and OF....but don't doubt it. Every area is different though. The deer here just look at my plants. There;s plenty of other stuff to eat here so that helps, I'm sure. In areas where your weed is the only green thing around...you may have a different experience.

I'd go with a good chem fert because of the critter factor.

It's hard to address it all...so if you have any specific questions...ask away and I'll try to answer best I can.

Streetpro09

Tester
Congrats on the land purchase. Definitely a huge step up.

I did an absentee gig for the first 2 years we owned this property. Digging here in the Rockies can be....um... rocky....LOL.....so I went the planter route.....BIG planters cus I had no idea how long a watering would last/etc. in this climate (warm/dry).

I start inside. When I go out I give them 3-4 days in a partially shady area to adapt to the sunlight/intensity.
Cages are a good idea. If you live where it hails.....a bonnet/screening on top may be a good idea as well. Deer and hail will end your show. Never had a problem with critters and OF....but don't doubt it. Every area is different though. The deer here just look at my plants. There;s plenty of other stuff to eat here so that helps, I'm sure. In areas where your weed is the only green thing around...you may have a different experience.

I'd go with a good chem fert because of the critter factor.

It's hard to address it all...so if you have any specific questions...ask away and I'll try to answer best I can.
What do you know about growing in shady areas/partical shade? Most of my property is in the woods and only receiving 4-6 hours of direct sunlight a day. Now I could put them right in the middle of the lawn and get 8+ but that probably wouldn't work well. Do you think it's worth the hassle?

Streetpro09

Tester
Can't say how successful it would be...but yields will suffer for sure. If you can play safely/in stealth mode..it might be a worthy experiment. Pick the sunniest spot and give it a try.
That was kinda my thought too. I'll probably do a few this year just to see. Put em in pots so they can be moved around if needed. Any other suggestions for testing an area?

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
What do you know about growing in shady areas/partical shade? Most of my property is in the woods and only receiving 4-6 hours of direct sunlight a day. Now I could put them right in the middle of the lawn and get 8+ but that probably wouldn't work well. Do you think it's worth the hassle?
Those sound a lot like the conditions i first tried growing in. Most likely not only do you not have enough sunlight you probable not have the air movement as well(very important). Mine started flowering okay but without the air movement bud rot creeps in killed everything. Not trying to burst your bubble if you do try it try to find the most open area you can.

Streetpro09

Tester
Those sound a lot like the conditions i first tried growing in. Most likely not only do you not have enough sunlight you probable not have the air movement as well(very important). Mine started flowering okay but without the air movement bud rot creeps in killed everything. Not trying to burst your bubble if you do try it try to find the most open area you can.
Yeah things do tend to stay pretty wet after a rain. Takes like a full day for things to start drying. Thanks for chiming in. That thought never crossed my mind. Sounds like I won't be investing much time or effort but I'm thinking I'll still try a few.

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Yeah things do tend to stay pretty wet after a rain. Takes like a full day for things to start drying. Thanks for chiming in. That thought never crossed my mind. Sounds like I won't be investing much time or effort but I'm thinking I'll still try a few.
Cant say that i blame you to try. Just think of air flow as just as important as sunlight and try to pick the best spot. I like the one idea i herd a while back. This individual was growing fairly close to the house. He went to Michaels craft store and purchased fake flowers and attached them to the plant. Instant camo.

Streetpro09

Tester
You can also bend them over and run them along the ground in flower beds/veggie gardens/behind bushes/etc. Such a thing might allow you to utilize a spot with more sun (?).
Now that's thinking outside the box! Thought never crossed my mind to just keep staking them down like the ground was the net. I have tons of ivy around here with all kinds of weeds sticking up all over in it. Who's gonna notice a few more weeds? Lol

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
Now that's thinking outside the box! Thought never crossed my mind to just keep staking them down like the ground was the net. I have tons of ivy around here with all kinds of weeds sticking up all over in it. Who's gonna notice a few more weeds? Lol
Yea i have always wanted to try that. Talk about maximum yield.Never let it get more than a foot tall.