soilless mix.

Dondell

canna coco is getting too expensive, and I plan to switch back to peat base. I have a tendency to overwater, so I would like to create a peat mix that drains similar to the coco that I'm used too. currently using 70 coco 30 perlite. How much perlite is too much, for a peat based mix?

Bobby_Resigliano

Violence. Speed. Momentum.
Do you coco only guys ever use the compressed bricks? I've used them a few times and I like them. Not sure if its the same quality but I get them from the local grow shop for $9 and it makes quite a bit.

Sorry I know nothing of peat to answer your question. Just questions of my own lol.

Dondell

No. When you mix it half and half it reduces the peat moss acid by half making it ready to use.
I want to create a peat based mix, that dries out fast and can be watered often. I have been using coco and pelite for years with great results, but my canna coco is pricey..and the herb is way less valuable. I am lookin to simplify and be more economical in every area of life, as the cost of everything is increasing..

Joebud

Insanely Active Member
I want to create a peat based mix, that dries out fast and can be watered often. I have been using coco and pelite for years with great results, but my canna coco is pricey..and the herb is way less valuable. I am lookin to simplify and be more economical in every area of life, as the cost of everything is increasing..
I believe you will be satisfied with the mix I suggested. It works great with cannabis and lots of other plants like bell pepper, jalapeno, tomatoe, basil, spinach, and lettuce. I have a mandarin orange tree growing in peat moss and vermiculite in my kitchen. It has never got root rot. I had another mandarin orange tree in coco in my kitchen. it got root rot. Hope this is helpful.

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
I’d be careful with vermiculite if you want a media that drys out quickly since vermiculite increases water retention.

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
Do you coco only guys ever use the compressed bricks? I've used them a few times and I like them. Not sure if its the same quality but I get them from the local grow shop for $9 and it makes quite a bit.

Sorry I know nothing of peat to answer your question. Just questions of my own lol.
I have used a few different compressed coco bricks with various results one needed a lot of flushing due to salts plants yellowed immediately a quick check revealed a high salt content I had to repot them so much for triple rinsed like ads said... otherwise same-same my back has gotten so bad I quite only because of the extra work and flushing

Dondell

I have used a few different compressed coco bricks with various results one needed a lot of flushing due to salts plants yellowed immediately a quick check revealed a high salt content I had to repot them so much for triple rinsed like ads said... otherwise same-same my back has gotten so bad I quite only because of the extra work and flushing
I've tried many brands of coco...they are not all the same. The canna bricks work well for me..but they are a pain in the ass to hydrate and break up. It's not an impossible task, but its another step, and I like to keep it simple and easy. I have too many chores already. I've stuck with the canna coco because it has been consistent results. Problems occur for me, when I cheap out and try different things. This is why I've been hesitant to change...

Nobighurry

PICK YOUR OWN
I've tried many brands of coco...they are not all the same. The canna bricks work well for me..but they are a pain in the ass to hydrate and break up. It's not an impossible task, but its another step, and I like to keep it simple and easy. I have too many chores already. I've stuck with the canna coco because it has been consistent results. Problems occur for me, when I cheap out and try different things. This is why I've been hesitant to change...
Same here I been using canacoco for quite a spell, my son bought me a few bags of Botanicare bags for Xmas i liked it I also ran home depot viagrow bags for a year or so girls liked it but just not as consistent as canacoco...