So I made one of these...

socaljoe

Cocaine Cowboy
View attachment 49377

Does anyone know how to get the diffusers off the bulbs without destroying them.
Generally the diffuser is just glued on. You may be able to heat the joint and sort of twist/pry them apart. I haven't taken one of those apart, but that would be my operating assumption based on past experience.

Cool little rig you made. That would be a great seedling/clone light

smokieokie

Insanely Active Member
Yep just as stated before, gently squeeze the globe as close as you can to the base enough that the seal will pop and turn. Use a vice or channel locks.

baldmountain

Super Active Member
Some of the bulbs where made by cree. Their diffusers are thick and pretty flexible. I squished one flat in a vise and the diffuser wouldn't pop off. So I cut the diffuser with a utility knife. I left a little as a reflector/focuser and something to grip while screwing them in. Seems to be working well. :D

TheOther

That fixture I posted holds four 100's then a Y with two 60's in the center. 520 watts in a 20" tent....BRIGHT!
That fixture is being run grossly over the rating, about twice the max current . Probably just going to melt down at some point. That wattage just jumped out at me....didn't sound right.
From the manufacturer:
"Each light socket supports up to 60 watts,total 300 watts"

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
That fixture is being run grossly over the rating, about twice the max current . Probably just going to melt down at some point. That wattage just jumped out at me....didn't sound right.
From the manufacturer:
"Each light socket supports up to 60 watts,total 300 watts"
What is that in dog led years?

Is the sky really falling? The fixture is not even warm.ReadThisChickenLittle.jpg

Last edited:

baldmountain

Super Active Member
Here's a picture with the lights cut:

IMG_20200219_175901436_HDR-01.jpeg

You can see where I broke the housing a bit on the far right.

This generates a lot of heat, but running the fan a bit higher seems to keep it under control. The 4 bulbs at the ends are 100w equivalent and draw about 15w. The ones in the middle are 60w and draw 10.5w IIRC. So around 100w total. It's good for half a 2.5'x2.5' space. I think.

sfrigon1

Seed Aficionado
Here's a picture with the lights cut:

View attachment 49893

You can see where I broke the housing a bit on the far right.

This generates a lot of heat, but running the fan a bit higher seems to keep it under control. The 4 bulbs at the ends are 100w equivalent and draw about 15w. The ones in the middle are 60w and draw 10.5w IIRC. So around 100w total. It's good for half a 2.5'x2.5' space. I think.
Could u stick some of those corn lights in there? The led ones

TheOther

520 watts in a 20" tent....BRIGHT!
Using the high side numbers, that's 100 watts......which is one third of it's capacity.
What is that in dog led years?
Is the sky really falling? The fixture is not even warm.
Now it's a new number. Did I miss something here or you getting forgetful? Then its a friggin hundred watts, don't say 520 and blow me off like I'm the idiot.

Either way, just pointing it out so some idiot doesn't actually burn 500 watts of bulbs, thinking you did it.
Bad information that burns down a house is just irresponsible, don't be embellishing it

Last edited:

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
Now it's a new number. Did I miss something here or you getting forgetful? Then its a friggin hundred watts, don't say 520 and blow me off like I'm the idiot.

Either way, just pointing it out so some idiot doesn't actually burn 500 watts of bulbs, thinking you did it.
Bad information that burns down a house is just irresponsible, don't be embellishing it
Wait there chicken little....it was your gums flappin there as an "expert"
Go back to the original post in this thread, and try and ascertain what it's about. You ever see anyone cutting the globes off incandescent bulbs?

Not even warm......thanks for saving humanity! :rolleyes:

TheOther

Ok, Boomer. I'll go slow. I know all about globes getting cut and watts.

You said yours holds four 100's then a Y with two 60's in the center. 520 watts
I said bad.

You said 100 watts, dumbass. Got a lumen chart even, and called some names.
I said WTF, dont be giving out bullshit you obviously know is bullshit.

And the next guy might do exactly that, stick a bunch of corn lights in there based on your ciphering?
.thanks for saving humanity! :rolleyes:
Just saving them from you today.

Last edited: