Snapped a stem, chances of survival?

smokieokie

Insanely Active Member
While we are on the subject what are everyone thoughts on holding down the super cropped branches. Of course if you don'tie them down they will straiten right back out. I usually tie mine off on what i have to work with. Maybe there is something in existence or easily made out of wire or some other material. It would be nice to rig something that would hold the branch at a 90 degree angle going from the main stem to the broken branch.Any thoughts?
I probably do the same as others, I use (heavy duty) large black twist ties and 20# fishing line usually. I leave slack on fishing line to main trunk so it doesn't pinch. But I'm a noob compared to most as well lol. On a side note, this ones stems turned reddish purple from about 1" below bend to tips. Ever seen that?

Attachments

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
I’m thinking of using small customizable tomato cages. Then you could attach bendy pipe cleaners at will to hold down branches. Might eliminate super cropping altogether for the first half of the grow.
I have tried using the tomato cages before. I kind of got away from them because they were a bit on the loose side. They are only anchored by the thin medal feet and depending on your pot size you have to cut some length off of them. As a result they are not very sturdy for 3 gallon pots at least. I hand water as well so they just got more in the way when trying to water. They would probable be fine in bigger pots of soil.

Phylex

PICK YOUR OWN
While we are on the subject what are everyone thoughts on holding down the super cropped branches. Of course if you don'tie them down they will straiten right back out. I usually tie mine off on what i have to work with. Maybe there is something in existence or easily made out of wire or some other material. It would be nice to rig something that would hold the branch at a 90 degree angle going from the main stem to the broken branch.Any thoughts?
Bamboo stake and pipe cleaner
IMG_9339.JPG

IMG_9340.JPG

Capt C

Saltwater Cowboy
That DE sure has a lot of uses. I use it in a pool filter. I know some kennels use it for flee and tick control. Now Silica!

BigBallzWillie

BE THE BALL
I use this wire with these clips for tying down/off.

I know these kinda depend on how much stem tissue is still holding on, but It’s been about 2 days and I don’t know what to think on this one. Snapped the same branch in two different places o_O

View attachment 9755

Looking closely, her large fan leaf is still quite turgid but the smaller leaves have gone limp. Should I just wait it out? Worst case, I accidentally Topped my plant again.
If it's still in veg it doesn't matter too much.if u think it's slowed the flow of nutrition to the snapped part or it looks like it wont heal it's sometimes best to just chop it away.its better to chop it away during veg than it snapping at 5/6 weeks bloom and losing out on a decent cola.

DET—PDX

Insanely Active Member
If it's still in veg it doesn't matter too much.if u think it's slowed the flow of nutrition to the snapped part or it looks like it wont heal it's sometimes best to just chop it away.its better to chop it away during veg than it snapping at 5/6 weeks bloom and losing out on a decent cola.
She’s ripping again, all is well thankfully