Smrt pots?

Crash32097

Veteran Grower
Probably just paying for a trademarked name honestly, like the rest of the junk marketed as new and unique. I just started to use fabric pots and am currently on my first run with them. Wish they didn't leak so much during watering, kinda messy sometimes, but my roots are nice and healthy and as long as you have good airflow it's almost impossible to over water. When I think of SMARTPOTS though I don't think fabric, I think of the plastic ones with holes all in them.

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
I don’t know what kind of bags you are talking about man but my guess would be hemp and cotton and any other woven fabric would break down very easily under microbial activity. I know that from my worm bin. But smart pots hold themselves together. That may be the difference between those two.

crimsonecho

Probably just paying for a trademarked name honestly, like the rest of the junk marketed as new and unique. I just started to use fabric pots and am currently on my first run with them. Wish they didn't leak so much during watering, kinda messy sometimes, but my roots are nice and healthy and as long as you have good airflow it's almost impossible to over water. When I think of SMARTPOTS though I don't think fabric, I think of the plastic ones with holes all in them.
Watering them from above is a bitch for sure. Thats why i get big trays and place them inside and just flood the tray and let the plants soak it up. If you mulch also, it works great ime.

Vee

Ancient Member
I don’t know what kind of bags you are talking about man but my guess would be hemp and cotton and any other woven fabric would break down very easily under microbial activity. I know that from my worm bin. But smart pots hold themselves together. That may be the difference between those two.
A Joke running with the GREENS(me) is that the average plastic euro shopping bag would take 100 years to rot down where as these sturdier versions that now replace the polluters are even worse taking up to 800 years to rot down ....lol

Same shit went down with light bulbs...cfl carry extreme Mercury amounts
that anywhere else you are expected to call the EPA on each break,
compare to T5 pt T8's ...lol

Vee

Ancient Member
For many new users I advise weighing the pot and plant before water then again after
just to give an idea so you learn by guessing the weight
then guessing the amount of water to use

guessing I mean Scientific Testing ...lol

as many growers complain of water not getting right into the root ball

a good soak once per week works wonders!

crimsonecho

A Joke running with the GREENS(me) is that the average plastic euro shopping bag would take 100 years to rot down where as these sturdier versions that now replace the polluters are even worse taking up to 800 years to rot down ....lol

Same shit went down with light bulbs...cfl carry extreme Mercury amounts
that anywhere else you are expected to call the EPA on each break,
compare to T5 pt T8's ...lol
I’m not sure what kind of bags he is talking about. Hemp or cotton bags are not very resistant to microbial activity as a woven fabric. If its plastic bags then yeah it will take a long time to break down. But reusable sounds like “organic woven fabric”.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
fabric reuseable shopping bags work for plants but they are flimsy. The ones you buy at the hydro shop are like 3/8th inch felt. You can grow in them though just have a good solid container if you move them. I would prefer the holy bucket but they work.

They both work but those thick felt reusable pots are nicer to move around. And they absorb water well. I like hard plastic pots because they hold the moisture a day longer (water every 2 days instead of every day).

Crash32097

Veteran Grower
For many new users I advise weighing the pot and plant before water then again after
just to give an idea so you learn by guessing the weight
then guessing the amount of water to use

guessing I mean Scientific Testing ...lol

as many growers complain of water not getting right into the root ball

a good soak once per week works wonders!
I do this also, check weight and only water if they are light and or drooping a little.

Vee

Ancient Member
fabric reuseable shopping bags work for plants but they are flimsy. The ones you buy at the hydro shop are like 3/8th inch felt. You can grow in them though just have a good solid container if you move them. I would prefer the holy bucket but they work.

They both work but those thick felt reusable pots are nicer to move around. And they absorb water well. I like hard plastic pots because they hold the moisture a day longer (water every 2 days instead of every day).

I too have returned to plastic round pots, the deal is the more I move my plants
the more compact the lower root ball becomes,
at each move the more shock the plant gets
the less desirable the plant becomes
shame!

badmofo529

Insanely Active Member
I too have returned to plastic round pots, the deal is the more I move my plants
the more compact the lower root ball becomes,
at each move the more shock the plant gets
the less desirable the plant becomes
shame!
You can loosen it up some by taking a skewer or similar and stabbing a few holes down into the rootball and wiggling it around a bit. Seems to help the compaction in my experience.

Vee

Ancient Member
You can loosen it up some by taking a skewer or similar and stabbing a few holes down into the rootball and wiggling it around a bit. Seems to help the compaction in my experience.
Yes I agree but come harvest the tap root is often crooked as hell
I think in the years I've been growing only 2-3 times have I ever had a straight tap root..at harvest

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
Drill many holes in 5 gal pails.. done.. pass em down to the great grand kids.
Many enviro options are bullshit. Hybrid cars etc. I drive units from the 70 s and 80 s still. Just doing my part lol.
Also fabric pots are flimsy and suck and I hate them. Good day

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
I guess I could be more specific. If you like growing plants of the large ass variety, and like using fairly small rootspace, fabrics are a nightmare. I imagine a 7-10 gal would be ok but I don’t use more that 3 gals for the most part. Just my ramblings. If your doing fairly small plants SOG style they are ok tho

Bodyne

PICK YOUR OWN
crazy, but I still can get some plants up rockin in growbags, lol. Water lightly, bags have condensation. But Ive noticed last couple yrs, smarties dont' get the larger tubulars running out the sides, pushing outwards, etc. You still get the main rootball, but seemed like old days, them smarties weren't as thick or something, but the rootballs are fine, lots of smaller fingerlets of roots instead of them biguns you'd even have to pinch or prune off if started comin thru the part. Prolly me. Ramblings of a madman, Used to could beer cups like a charm, now I hexed myself somehow, can't do it at all. Have no idea.

gwheels

Hobby Farmer
Drill many holes in 5 gal pails.. done.. pass em down to the great grand kids.
Many enviro options are bullshit. Hybrid cars etc. I drive units from the 70 s and 80 s still. Just doing my part lol.
Also fabric pots are flimsy and suck and I hate them. Good day
I would add a hard plastic pot or bucket is a lot easier to clean than a fabric pot after you grow.
2 3 or 5 gallon buckets or uline square totes (black) work forever.

Uncle Romulus

madman, scholar
I would add a hard plastic pot or bucket is a lot easier to clean than a fabric pot after you grow.
2 3 or 5 gallon buckets or uline square totes (black) work forever.
Word brother.
Another valid option I’ve been about lately is 2.5-3 gal nursery pots for a buck or two each. You gotta be fairly gentle with em cause they thin plastic but I’m happy with em.