Silicone and bho

So i bought a silicone baking dish (for wax. Best way to describe it). I usually blast in a Pyrex dish. I only make for personal of coarse, so usually about 3/4 of an oz each run. Return is about 3-4 grams. But This time more.

I did place my pack and butane in the freezer for about 5-6 hours this time. Now normally on the Pyrex. After purging. It’s still has a gooy consistency. But will snap. This time over the silicone. It purged extra fucking fast and like a solid white goo ball and the rest a powder. Taste the same, smells the same, and Highs the same. Why’s the difference in look?

Old ST1R

Grow Yer Own Stone
So i bought a silicone baking dish (for wax. Best way to describe it). I usually blast in a Pyrex dish. I only make for personal of coarse, so usually about 3/4 of an oz each run. Return is about 3-4 grams. But This time more.

I did place my pack and butane in the freezer for about 5-6 hours this time. Now normally on the Pyrex. After purging. It’s still has a gooy consistency. But will snap. This time over the silicone. It purged extra fucking fast and like a solid white goo ball and the rest a powder. Taste the same, smells the same, and Highs the same. Why’s the difference in look?
My guess is that by freezing everything, you extracted less of the water solubles that are contained in the plant matter, and what you’ve got is purer than without freezing.

larf

My guess is you blasted with less humidity, probably due to it being colder outside. Freezing the column helped. I heard blasting into silicone was a bad idea because the butane is colder than the silicone's low temp limit. You should use PTFE film. You can blast directly onto it and then transfer it all into your vacuum oven / chamber without pouring / scraping anything.

Also you shouldn't freeze the butane. The whole process works by pressure and heat differential. So you want a cold chamber, but the butane should be warmer than the chamber and the outside air. It will take longer the colder it is, and sometimes you won't be able to get all of the butane out of can. It probably won't matter much for a oz run, but if you start getting into bigger columns it will help.

That looks really good to me. I get sandy shatter when there is very little plant moisture and low humidity. Sometimes it won't even completely bind. I call it sandstone because it's almost the exact same texture.

My guess is you blasted with less humidity, probably due to it being colder outside. Freezing the column helped. I heard blasting into silicone was a bad idea because the butane is colder than the silicone's low temp limit. You should use PTFE film. You can blast directly onto it and then transfer it all into your vacuum oven / chamber without pouring / scraping anything.

Also you shouldn't freeze the butane. The whole process works by pressure and heat differential. So you want a cold chamber, but the butane should be warmer than the chamber and the outside air. It will take longer the colder it is, and sometimes you won't be able to get all of the butane out of can. It probably won't matter much for a oz run, but if you start getting into bigger columns it will help.

That looks really good to me. I get sandy shatter when there is very little plant moisture and low humidity. Sometimes it won't even completely bind. I call it sandstone because it's almost the exact same texture.
Thank you!
Don’t freeze the butane for one. Got it! Thanks for that info. But freezing my pack is helping right?

Also Don’t blast on to the silicone you say? I normally use a Pyrex dish. Like I said. I only intent for personal use each time. So I don’t know if that makes a difference on the silicone part. But I won’t continue if it’s a bad idea. So far just the one run as it stands. The sandy like wax is great for pre rolls and bowls. But only good for dabs if your cold starting or dumping dust. I have about 2-3 grams that came out like rosin. But the rest is straight sand paper. Melts nice over flower. Gives it a good kick. All same flower being used as well. I’m going to be blasting the amnesia trim soon. I’ll let you know how that turns. The trichs are purple on that stuff. So I’m wondering what the extractions going to look like.

larf

Thank you!
Don’t freeze the butane for one. Got it! Thanks for that info. But freezing my pack is helping right?

Also Don’t blast on to the silicone you say? I normally use a Pyrex dish. Like I said. I only intent for personal use each time. So I don’t know if that makes a difference on the silicone part. But I won’t continue if it’s a bad idea. So far just the one run as it stands. The sandy like wax is great for pre rolls and bowls. But only good for dabs if your cold starting or dumping dust. I have about 2-3 grams that came out like rosin. But the rest is straight sand paper. Melts nice over flower. Gives it a good kick. All same flower being used as well. I’m going to be blasting the amnesia trim soon. I’ll let you know how that turns. The trichs are purple on that stuff. So I’m wondering what the extractions going to look like.
The strain color shouldn’t affect the color of the bho. The color of the trichomes can though. How are you purging it? The softer stuff might be from where the moisture collected or if it was a thicker spot.

This is my vac oven / robo-butler:
View attachment trim.8D21BD25-1519-41E7-94F2-D95B6026CE10.MOV

larf

That batch deflated really quickly and looked weird coming out, but ended up being shattery. I thought it was going to wax up for sure. It was a really big yield too. Winter blasting does weird things. Last winter I made a batch in a jacketed splatter platter and the butane wouldn’t evaporate for like a week. The lipids congealed into ribbons and I had to winterize like 65 grams with moonshine.

Uhhgg. I’m prolly not purging the best way. I’ll post pics when I do it again.

But it’s prolly the worst way possible.

I use hot water to purge what I can, then I scatter it out the best I can. Making it thin as Possible. I then let it set for 2-3 days min. (Usually longer cause I have some always backed up. I’m never out completely).
After that I gather it up with a tool. Usually globs up no problem. Then I place it on my dresser with a piece of wax paper over it. I never seal it up in anything.

I’m going to get a vacuum chamber eventually. But for now. This is what I do. And I’m sure it’s a bad way. But my only way.

That batch deflated really quickly and looked weird coming out, but ended up being shattery. I thought it was going to wax up for sure. It was a really big yield too. Winter blasting does weird things. Last winter I made a batch in a jacketed splatter platter and the butane wouldn’t evaporate for like a week. The lipids congealed into ribbons and I had to winterize like 65 grams with moonshine.
Wow. It seems like you definitely know a lot more than I do. As often as I do this. I’d love to be able to ask you for help here and there. If that’s no bother?