Silica users

Dr. Monty

Green Supremacist
I picked up a smaller bottle of powerSI and bloom a few weeks into veg and I noticed most of my stems are rock hard.
now being in week 4 of flower I just ran out of the powerSI bloom and I wonder to my self what’s this stuff even doing in bloom lol
This is my first run and I was wondering other people’s takes on using silica in bloom (definitely recommend for veg) Also what do you use?

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
I picked up a smaller bottle of powerSI and bloom a few weeks into veg and I noticed most of my stems are rock hard.
now being in week 4 of flower I just ran out of the powerSI bloom and I wonder to my self what’s this stuff even doing in bloom lol
This is my first run and I was wondering other people’s takes on using silica in bloom (definitely recommend for veg) Also what do you use?
It builds the cell wall of the plant top to bottom. If it is still growing new cells, it can still use it.

Big Perm

Budtender
For anyone using silica that likes to save a little bit of money, take a look at your bottle. I'll bet it says it is comprised of Potassium Silicate. I love using silica, and like has been said, its main place is in veg. It has a plethora of benefits. Like HaF said, it strengthens cell walls. Many advantages come from that. One main advantage that is often overlooked is drought resistance.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
One main advantage that is often overlooked is drought resistance.
Cell walls are stronger - sturdier structure overall. I use the Botanicaire silica blast, and it is potassium silicate like you say.
I use it at a half dose, but have been looking for better organic options on that and the cal-mag.

Big Terps

Growing on a dime
Ya like the guys above have said it seemd to help my plants out. I used it at half strength also. Both soil and hydro i like it..

It always worried me bout using it in organic grows, cause i feard it was hurting my microbial life in soil. Not sure if it does harm or not. That why id use half strength.

Another thing i remember bout silica is that it will make ph rise. Id use silica to bring ph up instead of using ph up, when in hydro when u gotta worry bout ph. Never worried bout ph in organic.
Just my experiences and info i no from past.
Thx

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Another thing i remember bout silica is that it will make ph rise. Id use silica to bring ph up instead of using ph up, when in hydro when u gotta worry bout ph. Never worried bout ph in organic.
I think that is why I like the liquid version - add it to the feed water and pH it, no worries. Same with the calmag. The plants need it, and organic or not that is an efficient way to get it to them. Some things aren't as mobile getting from source to plant.

Big Perm

Budtender
I think that is why I like the liquid version - add it to the feed water and pH it, no worries. Same with the calmag. The plants need it, and organic or not that is an efficient way to get it to them. Some things aren't as mobile getting from source to plant.
If you still use the calmag I recommended years ago, you should also use the link in my post for the same reason.

For anyone using silica that likes to save a little bit of money, take a look at your bottle. I'll bet it says it is comprised of Potassium Silicate. I love using silica, and like has been said, its main place is in veg. It has a plethora of benefits. Like HaF said, it strengthens cell walls. Many advantages come from that. One main advantage that is often overlooked is drought resistance.
Thanks for the link Big Perm and I am totally going to try this out once I am out of my bloom city bottle of silica. I am not sure if order really matters but I always add my silica 1st when mixing up a fresh bucket of nutes and then let it rest an full hour to fully dissolve then add my cal mag and stir, add jack's & Epson salt stir, then AG fungicide and cap of super thrive stir.

When do you normally add silica to your nutes and do you believe a 1 hour rest period is needed/beneficial?

Cheers, Z.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
If you still use the calmag I recommended years ago, you should also use the link in my post for the same reason.
religiously. And it is inexpensive and works. I'll check that out as a replacement. I like soluble powders rather than liquids. Don't trust them so much.