Several topics of bro-science - explained or dispelled

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Or not - it's still your plants. Do what you want.
Started watching this and her explaination of teas is really going to get me to stop using them. I've never done an organic grow without them so it will be interesting to see if there is any difference by skipping the tea every week. What she says about mulching with compost, instead, makes sense to me and eliminates the pain in the ass of brewing teas and cleaning up after.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
Started watching this and her explaination of teas is really going to get me to stop using them. I've never done an organic grow without them so it will be interesting to see if there is any difference by skipping the tea every week. What she says about mulching with compost, instead, makes sense to me and eliminates the pain in the ass of brewing teas and cleaning up after.
Ahhhhh, but look at it in context. She specifically says "Compost" tea. If you have worms or buy compost and castings, there are nutrients and biological goodies in there and adding it to water dilutes it. It is not something that needs to be diluted. And the microbial life is not aquatic, it's in dirt.

Conversely, I think that the lechate might be too concentrated to put in the pot straight - added to some other tea or just diluted can't hurt.

I plan to stick with the sprout teas. I have been putting some LAB culture and molasses in a bucket and bubbling for about a day, and some FPJ I made with aloe. All of them agreed about the powers of aloe, so that convergence of the KNF with other growing styles seems good. Then the corn or barley sprout gets put ina blender and put in the bucket a few hours before I use it.

Her argument is that you would need to prove the benefit of diluting and aerating the compost over just using aerated water by itself. Then with and without the compost as top dressing.

That's why I posted that scientific process thing on another thread. We all experiment and there are ways to know if what you are seeing is actually happening because of a specific thing you are doing. I have several things I do that really just fall into the "can't hurt" category. :)
View attachment HHG busy.mp4

treefarmercharlie

🍆
Admin
Ahhhhh, but look at it in context. She specifically says "Compost" tea. If you have worms or buy compost and castings, there are nutrients and biological goodies in there and adding it to water dilutes it. It is not something that needs to be diluted. And the microbial life is not aquatic, it's in dirt.

Conversely, I think that the lechate might be too concentrated to put in the pot straight - added to some other tea or just diluted can't hurt.

I plan to stick with the sprout teas. I have been putting some LAB culture and molasses in a bucket and bubbling for about a day, and some FPJ I made with aloe. All of them agreed about the powers of aloe, so that convergence of the KNF with other growing styles seems good. Then the corn or barley sprout gets put ina blender and put in the bucket a few hours before I use it.

Her argument is that you would need to prove the benefit of diluting and aerating the compost over just using aerated water by itself. Then with and without the compost as top dressing.

That's why I posted that scientific process thing on another thread. We all experiment and there are ways to know if what you are seeing is actually happening because of a specific thing you are doing. I have several things I do that really just fall into the "can't hurt" category. :)
View attachment 96398
She claims there is no proof that KNF works, either, and that the only research out there that supports it is not peer reviewed. I haven't finished the whole video yet but did she mention anything positive about using aloe for anything other then a rooting agent? I'm going to finish it later today.

H.A.F.

a.k.a. Rusty Nails
She claims there is no proof that KNF works, either, and that the only research out there that supports it is not peer reviewed. I haven't finished the whole video yet but did she mention anything positive about using aloe for anything other then a rooting agent? I'm going to finish it later today.
My issue with part of the KNF is that it assumes everyone lives in an environment where getting biology from their yard will somehow benefit their weed. If you are growing outdoors and want to acclimatize a certain strain to your soil, and that soil to your strain, then I can see the effort.

If I am growing a bean from Afghanistan, or Africa, or Oregon, or wherever, where is the logic that says they would all like stuff from the dirt in my yard? And also the dirt from your yard? The soil biology part is cool, but there are other ways to get there. If I want michorizal fungi I am adding it when I transplant - right out of the jar. And I know they are fungi that are compatable with weed.

Having worms in the soil and keeping them alive through harvest is going to be my next project. I think that keeping them alive will support everything below them on the food chain in the rhizosphere. And reduce the amount of inputs I need to make for the plant. Feeing the worms and watering the plant should take care of most of it.

Last edited: